Newbie struggling to configure Kontakt instrument with Linnstrument expression

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just set up a multi rack in Kontakt 7. Works like a champ in mpe mode.
Thanks, everyone, for all the support and hand holding. :-)

FranklyFlawless wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:54 pm Here is what the LinnStrument Support page has to say about Kontakt:
Kontakt does not have an MPE mode but it is fairly simple to configure for MPE use. Simply load Kontakt then load, for example, 4 instances of the same sample group into it. Each instance will automatically be assigned to a separate MIDI channel, or you can change each instance to the channel you want to match the per-note channels you've assigned in LinnStrument. Go through each instance and change the pitch bend to 12 (the max that Kontakt allows) and set LinnStrument's Bend Range to 12 to match. Because Kontakt intelligently loads samples, it will share samples between all instances and therefore not use any more ram than one instance. Of course you will need a host that passes all MIDI channels to Kontakt.
Whoever wrote this, it doesn´t make much sense. Why to bother with sample groups?
The op wants to use his guitar library, does that mean he has to load it four times?

@Harry, since you've figured out how it works, would you be so kind as to post a brief description, screenshot, or short video, please?
Would be very helpful, thank you!

I'm sorry I missed this thread. I've been using OTS in Kontakt with the free included player in MPE mode for the last few years. I don't have to do any hacks to make this work and I don't load multiple instances or anything. I run the ls in normal mpe mode and adjust bend range to +/-24. You need to set Bend Range Up/Down in the OTS Play tab to the max of a Perfect 15th (24 semitones)

I use ableton as my DAW and always enable the MPE mode on the kontakt device. One thing that consistently trips me up though is this default setting in Kontakt. So anytime I play notes and hear nothing, I check this setting that is hidden under the info icon and make sure that Midi Ch is set to omni

I don't do any mapping of axis expressions from the ls. The majority of the articulations in OTS are entirely driven off of velocity, so I've just gotten used to my own playing pressure and have my velocity sensitivity setup in OTS so that I can get a consistent palm mute at lower pressures. I have setup some pedals and such to switch ls parameters to allow me to slide instead of bend.

Happy to share more.

Yeah. I hadnt had any reason to use Kontakt till the other day, when I noticed that the NI instrument 'Ashlight' specifically mentions MPE support in its documentation, and includes some MPE presets. I am just using it with Kontakt player and aside from the normal DAW MPE config stuff, the only setting I needed to change was setting Kontakts midi channel to Omni just like zachaudioguy mentions.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”