Windows laptop to rival M1 Macbook Pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TS-12 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:58 am
Haptix wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:05 am Have you tried to disable the fans and let it warm up to 110 degrees °C like a macbook? Would help with the fan noise..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkcMwz ... el=MaxTech
I’ve been using M1 MacBook since it came out, for heavy projects with ASIO around 90% sometimes.
It barely gets warm.
Never had fans turn on
If you need a laptop with battery life and no thermals issue at all even when you are having an heavy DAW session, I don't think there is much choice outside Apple nowadays unfortunately. It is shitty because with macbook you have to give up on Oled screens and choice of design....

EDIT: If I take an i7-13700H which seems to be the equivalent of an M2 Pro (slightly faster multi-core, slightly slower single-core), the i7 has a 45W TDP vs the M2 Pro 20W TDP.... That makes a huge difference and at one moment, physic is physic...

I got an i7 12700 laptop and while I love the power and I use windows for 25+ years I'm heavily eyeballing Macbooks because of the low fan noise level and long battery life. You just can't seem to get that with any windows laptop unfortunately.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

My MacBooks all used to get rather hot. I have an M1, first iteration of it, now and it doesn't at all. I never worried about fan noise but I'm practically an all-MIDI composer, I don't record audio anymore. This thing's battery recharges amazingly fast. My iPad's does not and it loses power but fast as well. Even in low power mode. All things considered this MB retains power significantly longer than the Intel products I've owned.

sQeetz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 am
osiris wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:30 pm
Looks like multi core beat it on multis.
What does that mean? Sounds like gibberish to me

LET ME PUT IT IN PLAIN ENGRISH: The multi core HP beat the multi core Mac Mini. FTFY.

Oh. Ok. So a modern PC beat a 3 years old Mac?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Well, given that no more information was imparted than that, maybe it did, maybe it didn't, depends. Statistics are never skewed towards convenience or the argument one wants to make before starting, ie., favoritism, right? We don't even know if the machines are comparable in terms of say RAM. Let alone what were the criteria. Now, if we were to embark on something meaningful we'd examine things like the efficiency vs performance cores and what particular software.

The sentence "Looks like multi core beat it on multis." is atrocious. In English (one hopes that's a typo and not a hoary old stereotyping of Chinese speakers of English). Either it's idiotically redundant or uses multis to mean something that isn't mentioned. Kontakt multis?

sQeetz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:28 pmOh. Ok. So a modern PC beat a 3 years old Mac?
Why would you assume that? The current Z2 Mini is G9, so presumably four generations newer than the one on test here. The G5 models seemed to have been powered by anything up to a Xeon CPU but you can have a fully refurbished one of those on eBay now for around US$200, which is half the price you'd pay for an unrefurbished (used) late 2020 Mac Mini. So, you know, bang for yer buck and all that.

In my last job they replaced all the producers' iMacs with HP Z2 Minis and, even though they were only Core i5s, the producers couldn't believe how much better they were. They do all their own video editing, so they get a workout and the Z2 Minis seem to be pretty damned good. I love the look of 'em, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That’s a lot of words suggesting yes they did
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

You aren’t going to get the triple combination of excellent battery life, competitive performance and low to zero fan noise with an intel or Ryzen machine. Battery packs and laptop coolers might help but it is a kludge. Give it another year and we’ll see some true competition in the mobile space but if you need power, extended portability and low noise Apple has it sorted out. Apparently the new Qualcomm Snap Dragons are going to give Apple a run . Time is your friend in this case.

jancivil wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:37 pm My MacBooks all used to get rather hot. I have an M1, first iteration of it, now and it doesn't at all. I never worried about fan noise but I'm practically an all-MIDI composer, I don't record audio anymore.
Hi Jan,
So do you not use virtual instruments in the box?

Scotty wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 am You aren’t going to get the triple combination of excellent battery life, competitive performance and low to zero fan noise with an intel or Ryzen machine. Battery packs and laptop coolers might help but it is a kludge. Give it another year and we’ll see some true competition in the mobile space but if you need power, extended portability and low noise Apple has it sorted out. Apparently the new Qualcomm Snap Dragons are going to give Apple a run . Time is your friend in this case.
Seems we will finally have something we didn't have since 2020 thanks to the new snapdragon...

Choice...

https://www.xda-developers.com/snapdrag ... enchmarks/

Maybe Apple will take the competition seriously and finnnnnally integrate crazy new technologies on their macbook like .... OLED displays ???

Jac459 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:53 am Seems we will finally have something we didn't have since 2020 thanks to the new snapdragon...
Great news. I don't like being pinned into the Apple ecosystem.
One of the selling points for Windows has been backwards compatibility; how is this affected by switching to ARM architecture?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:56 pm
Jac459 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:53 am Seems we will finally have something we didn't have since 2020 thanks to the new snapdragon...
Great news. I don't like being pinned into the Apple ecosystem.
One of the selling points for Windows has been backwards compatibility; how is this affected by switching to ARM architecture?
Its a new architecture, so old windows programs will have to be re-written or emulated. Surprisingly, the new Qualcomm chip was shown running Linux, which possibly means that old windows Apps could work under Wine on that platform.

sQeetz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:28 pm Oh. Ok. So a modern PC beat a 3 years old Mac?
Which one of these (older, mostly from 2020) Intel CPUs are in the HP? https://support.hp.com/de-de/document/c06847825#AbT2

Anyway, the M1 never has been the fastes CPU. Only people who never used anything else than Macs think so.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”