Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Played around a bit with the new compressor. It's a really nice compressor. But like many I already have access to things like pro c2 which do the job. The multiband elements are pretty nice so perhaps there's some cases where'd I'd opt to use it over a plugin.

The little EQs are decent.

Main thing for me is this plugin undo. I've had to put plugins back in so many times accidentally undoing the plugin ad vs a param change.

Not a terrible update for me, but like many, I do think/wish Bitwig should focus more on core functionality, since things like compression and eq are so well covered by 3rd parties. We can't trivially slap in midi comping or improved piano roll though. The graphics changes may be good but for now they're kind of subtle and I never really had any rendering issues, so I'll have to see there.

Jeez, you guys will never be happy, you realize that right? It's 5.2, not 6.0...

For me, this is a great update. All of these points are welcome:

• Plugin Undo -- been wanting this behavior (to match Live) for years, *finally*!
• GUI Acceleration
• Precise editing and navigation features for keyboard & mouse -- need to test out what this means, but sounds desirable
• New Clipper ('Over') -- very welcome addition

And yes, I'll likely use the new Compressor+ -- I prefer Live and Bitwig's "inline" native device approach (no need to 'open' plugin windows and move them around the UI for visibility) and will use native devices over third-party whenever I can, so an improved Compressor (never loved the original) is also quite welcome.

I don't believe it, i throw in for example Painter Man that i know for sure is a pain in the X (drifting) and it lign up well - haveto tripple check and re-rip my CDs - can't believe it! haha
Not even had time to check the other stuff because - I can't believe it! someone slap! me.. *you have my permission* :D

mholloway wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:48 pm • GUI Acceleration
It's nice... lots of stuff renders better... in some places, the GUI looks sharper.

Yeah, not a bad update for a .x release! GUI acceleration is a nice feature and surely not trivial to develop. Really bad timing for me though - my plan just expired 3 days ago :(
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

:D Cute Pultec style EQs, hopefully I'll love them

Undo For Plug-ins is welcome (I attempt to all the time :oops: )

Hardware acceleration, hopefully is a plus

Precise editing, some of which already looks useful to me

A clipper and compressor to try out, hopefully I'll love them

Other bits here and there.

Some QOL stuff. Some possible 3rd party plugin replacements. I dig it.

Remember Bitwig 5.2 is in beta people. There will be problems, expect it. Personally I'm not going to touch it until well after the official stable release.
Last edited by JHernandez on Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JH

Ten years later. Even with special editing update..

Did anybody notice the CPU load of the Compressor+...

I have an Ryzen 9 5900X and I cannot load more than 7 instances in series... more than 13% CPU load for each instance... that´s ridiculous for such a compressor!

Just for comparison... I just have tested a few others like IL Maximus, Fabfilter and similar which give me at max a CPU load of 35% for 20 instances in series... so we are talking about 1,75% in worst case to 13% of Bitwigs...
Seriously??? For a native stock compressor???

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm What does a Shift Register do?
It's kind of like a series of sample & holds. Each time it's triggered, data gets passed from one register to the next (and the input is captured on the first register). It's kind of like a BBD but for control signals (or even binary on/off states) rather than audio. (You often can clock them at audio rates, but there are very few stages so the delay time is extremely short...)

So for instance, a multi-tap note delay, echoing the first note with a different synth voice.

They're often used for psuedo-random loops or noise generators, by feeding back the last stage (or some combination of stages) back into the first stage. LFSRs (the noise generators in old video games), runglers, Turing Machine, the "Deja Vu" feature of Marbles, etc. all use that method.

Trancit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 pm Did anybody notice the CPU load of the Compressor+...

I have an Ryzen 9 5900X and I cannot load more than 7 instances in series... more than 13% CPU load for each instance... that´s ridiculous for such a compressor!

Just for comparison... I just have tested a few others like IL Maximus, Fabfilter and similar which give me at max a CPU load of 35% for 20 instances in series... so we are talking about 1,75% in worst case to 13% of Bitwigs...
Seriously??? For a native stock compressor???
I just tested and yeah its maxed out my CPU after about 10 insances. While a similar compressor, i guess, (ik multimedia, ozone, psp) took at 20-30 before it maxed out. I also loaded 100+ instances of the OG bitwig compressor and my cpu load was only at about 40%. I have an i9 12000K.

Crashes my Debian Trixie immediately when started. I suspect the graphics.

Conclusion: Currently switched back to 5.1.8, on the long run most likely : "Good bye" Bitwig Studio, because I'm no longer patient to such a nonsense!

There are other DAW's around!

kurt008 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:45 pm because I'm no longer patient to such a nonsense!
You do know that the point of beta testing is to find bugs, and report them to the devs so they can be fixed, right? If you don't have the patience for stuff being likely to go wrong, stick to the official release builds.

raidoh wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm undo for plugins finally, and of course subscription ran out on the 21th.
You are not alone :)
Bitwig, against the constitution.

kurt008 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:45 pm Crashes my Debian Trixie immediately when started. I suspect the graphics.

Conclusion: Currently switched back to 5.1.8, on the long run most likely : "Good bye" Bitwig Studio, because I'm no longer patient to such a nonsense!

There are other DAW's around!
<newscaster voice> Learning an entirely new DAW because an optional prerelease version of your existing one caused a problem. Is this the ultimate power move?
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Return to “Bitwig”