VB3: needs bugfix?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

electrosim2001 wrote: Hi Dennis,
Unfortunately, the XK-3 drawbars are not something that the Controller will accomodate. XK-3 has a system peculiar to Hammond-Suzuki, where all the drawbars, Upper, Lower, and bass use just one midi cc# each, rather than each drawbar having its own separate number.
There is a hardware device that will convert the XK-3 drawbars to whatever regular numbers that you want available from www.ashbysolutions.com
Maybe Giovanni could design a software program to do the same.
Thomas
Hi Thomas and Dennis, I've already designed a software program for converting XK-3 drawbars into VB3 drawbars. I haven't decided, yet, if implementing a "XK-3 mode" in this version of VB3 Controller or in the next one.
Bye
Giovanni

quote]
Hi Thomas and Dennis, I've already designed a software program for converting XK-3 drawbars into VB3 drawbars. I haven't decided, yet, if implementing a "XK-3 mode" in this version of VB3 Controller or in the next one.
Bye
Giovanni[/quote]

When I had an XK-3 and when using it with VB3 1.1 I had a problem whereby all the VB3 Leslie parameters would alter when pressing XK-3's Bb B inverted octave keys. All the parameters would shift.

Now with VB3 1.2 this would no longer be a problem as you can alter the cc#s in this latest version ( see below ).

However VB3 Controller does need some spare rotary controllers or sliders ( which it doesn't have ) to access VB3 Controller's options for the Upper and Lower, and B/A drawbars.

As the XK-3 already has two sets of drawbars, and the option of using one set as separate Upper drawbars or just Upper and Lower drawbars, I think perhaps that a separate XK-3 drawbar to VB3 drawbar program would be all that would be required when using the Hammond-Suzuki organ.

I have to say that I was happy to give up the drawbar facility at the time I owned an XK-3, just to be able to use VB3. Being able to access the drawbars of the new 1.2 would be magic, so hopefully Giovanni can burn some more midnight oil.

A separate XK-3 drawbar conversion program would be useful for others, not necessarilly using VB3.

Regarding changing the cc#s in VB3, I did have a problem in VSThost. I found that I had to hold the left click on the mouse for longer than a split second. I also found at one point that the message 'waiting for incoming midi' wouldn't come up at all. In the end I found that moving the position of the VB3 GUI within VSThost allowed me to regain access to the facility.

Thomas.

electrosim2001 wrote: A separate XK-3 drawbar conversion program would be useful for others, not necessarilly using VB3.
Thomas.
You're right, as usually, Thomas. It's better a separate VB3 Controller for XK-3 than one embedded into the general VB3 Controller.
The separate one is ready in beta version, but, as I don't own a XK-3, I really need a beta tester.
If anyone wants to help me, please write a private message and I'll send the beta version for XK-3 for testing.
Bye
Giovanni

electrosim2001 wrote:quote]
Bye
Giovanni
When I had an XK-3 and when using it with VB3 1.1 I had a problem whereby all the VB3 Leslie parameters would alter when pressing XK-3's Bb B inverted octave keys. All the parameters would shift.

Now with VB3 1.2 this would no longer be a problem as you can alter the cc#s in this latest version ( see below ).

However VB3 Controller does need some spare rotary controllers or sliders ( which it doesn't have ) to access VB3 Controller's options for the Upper and Lower, and B/A drawbars.

As the XK-3 already has two sets of drawbars, and the option of using one set as separate Upper drawbars or just Upper and Lower drawbars, I think perhaps that a separate XK-3 drawbar to VB3 drawbar program would be all that would be required when using the Hammond-Suzuki organ.

I have to say that I was happy to give up the drawbar facility at the time I owned an XK-3, just to be able to use VB3. Being able to access the drawbars of the new 1.2 would be magic, so hopefully Giovanni can burn some more midnight oil.

A separate XK-3 drawbar conversion program would be useful for others, not necessarilly using VB3.

Regarding changing the cc#s in VB3, I did have a problem in VSThost. I found that I had to hold the left click on the mouse for longer than a split second. I also found at one point that the message 'waiting for incoming midi' wouldn't come up at all. In the end I found that moving the position of the VB3 GUI within VSThost allowed me to regain access to the facility.

Thomas.[/quote]

Thomas,

I am new to the forum, just bought the 1.2 VB3 and I am relatively "computer challenged". I cannot get the "waiting for incoming midi" to come up in my VB3. I'm also running it in VSThost. You mentioned "moving the position of the VB3 GUI within VSThost allowed me to regain access to the facility". Can you explain to me how to do that. I'm sure this is a very "basic" solution, but I'm trying to learn. Thank you so much for your help

Rick

Runner11 wrote:

Thomas,

I am new to the forum, just bought the 1.2 VB3 and I am relatively "computer challenged". I cannot get the "waiting for incoming midi" to come up in my VB3. I'm also running it in VSThost. You mentioned "moving the position of the VB3 GUI within VSThost allowed me to regain access to the facility". Can you explain to me how to do that. I'm sure this is a very "basic" solution, but I'm trying to learn. Thank you so much for your help

Rick
Hi Rick,

If you hold Ctrl and at the same time 'left click and hold' on the blue band that runs across the top of VB3's GUI ( VB3's image inside VSThost ) you can slide the image around up/down left/right.
I found that if you re-position VB3 within VSThost and then try again to access the waiting for incoming midi message you can get it to work. I believe that this is a known problem, but you can work around it this way.

I found this out when I had accidently moved the wrong the wrong midi keyboard controller and set up the wrong cc# and tried to replace this number with the correct one. It was then that I had the problem of not being able to re-access the incoming midi message at all until I tried moving the position of VB3 within VSThost.

When you 'first try' to access the incoming midi message you really just need to hold the click down for a second or so before letting go, to get the message up' without needing to move the GUI as you haven't already changed that particular number. A 'quick' click just doesn't seem to work though.

Strangely enough I found that I couldn't use my optical wireless laptop mouse and get it to work at all. I had to use the built-in laptop pad.

Hope you can follow the above and it works for you.

By the way Giovanni's VB3C drawbar controller is coming to its final stages and it has become a bit of a monster with some really excellent features. It's a super little add-on program to help get the most out of your controller keyboard's function when playing VB3.

Thomas.

electrosim2001 wrote: If you hold Ctrl and at the same time 'left click and hold' on the blue band that runs across the top of VB3's GUI ( VB3's image inside VSThost ) you can slide the image around up/down left/right.
I found that if you re-position VB3 within VSThost and then try again to access the waiting for incoming midi message you can get it to work.
I guess this is a VSThost bug. AFAIK, the new versions of VSThost and SAVIhost have introduced new bugs that Hermann is about to wipe out.
This one should be related to the GUI Idle calls... maybe the host skips some calls and the plugin can't proceed with the execution of all other cascaded instruction in the same procedure (like activating the Learn state).

Old versions of VSThost work just fine.

ZioKiller wrote:[quote="can get it to work.
I guess this is a VSThost bug. AFAIK, the new versions of VSThost and SAVIhost have introduced new bugs that Hermann is about to wipe out.
This one should be related to the GUI Idle calls... maybe the host skips some calls and the plugin can't proceed with the execution of all other cascaded instruction in the same procedure (like activating the Learn state).

Old versions of VSThost work just fine.[/quote]

I found that using an older version of VSThost that I downloaded around about October last year ran VB3 1.1 fine but on my laptop at least, wouldn't run 1.2 with as low a latency. Later version's of VSThost run 1.2 fine at 256 samples. BTW just to mention it again, thanks Guido for a fantastic software B3 program.

Hope that Rick has success; perhaps he could post back?
Thomas.

electrosim2001 wrote:
Runner11 wrote:

Thomas,

Rick
Hi Rick,

If you hold Ctrl and at the same time 'left click and hold' on the blue band that runs across the top of VB3's GUI ( VB3's image inside VSThost ) you can slide the image around up/down left/right.
I found that if you re-position VB3 within VSThost and then try again to access the waiting for incoming midi message you can get it to work. I believe that this is a known problem, but you can work around it this way.

I found this out when I had accidently moved the wrong the wrong midi keyboard controller and set up the wrong cc# and tried to replace this number with the correct one. It was then that I had the problem of not being able to re-access the incoming midi message at all until I tried moving the position of VB3 within VSThost.

When you 'first try' to access the incoming midi message you really just need to hold the click down for a second or so before letting go, to get the message up' without needing to move the GUI as you haven't already changed that particular number. A 'quick' click just doesn't seem to work though.

Strangely enough I found that I couldn't use my optical wireless laptop mouse and get it to work at all. I had to use the built-in laptop pad.

Hope you can follow the above and it works for you.

By the way Giovanni's VB3C drawbar controller is coming to its final stages and it has become a bit of a monster with some really excellent features. It's a super little add-on program to help get the most out of your controller keyboard's function when playing VB3.

Thomas.
Thomas,

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I moved the VB3 to a number of positions within the VSThost and still didn't get the message. Everything else is working 100%. Could there be something that I'm doing wrong in the setup of the VSThost? I'm on a laptop, but using the mouse built-in laptop pad. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Rick

Hi Rick,

I can only say that I had the same problem, and found that it took holding down the mouse button for maybe 2 to 3 seconds before releasing for it to work.

I'm sure it's nothing that you have done. Keep trying with different lengths of time holding down the mouse button.

Thomas.

MIDI learn doesn't work in Cantabile Lite either ...

asseca wrote:MIDI learn doesn't work in Cantabile Lite either ...
Perhaps a drop-down box in 1.3?

electrosim2001 wrote:Hi Rick,

I can only say that I had the same problem, and found that it took holding down the mouse button for maybe 2 to 3 seconds before releasing for it to work.

I'm sure it's nothing that you have done. Keep trying with different lengths of time holding down the mouse button.

Thomas.
Thomas,

Thanks, I'll keep trying

Rick

Runner11 wrote:
electrosim2001 wrote:Hi Rick,

II'm sure it's nothing that you have done. Keep trying with different lengths of time holding down the mouse button.

Thomas.
Thomas,

Thanks, I'll keep trying

Rick
Any luck?

Thomas.

Hmm.
electrosim2001 wrote: If you hold Ctrl and at the same time 'left click and hold' on the blue band that runs across the top of VB3's GUI ( VB3's image inside VSThost ) you can slide the image around up/down left/right.
I found that if you re-position VB3 within VSThost and then try again to access the waiting for incoming midi message you can get it to work.
I have to apply quite some guesswork here.
I guess that means that you drag the VB3 Main Window (the little thing with the many little buttons which displays only the DLL name and title) around, which would be the only thing I can imagine having a "blue band". That sounds a bit like Voodoo to me. Pressing Ctrl (or not) and then dragging the main window around doesn't change anything - unless you move the main window over the VB3 Editor window, in which case VB3 has to redraw parts of the GUI.
ZioKiller wrote:I guess this is a VSThost bug. AFAIK, the new versions of VSThost and SAVIhost have introduced new bugs that Hermann is about to wipe out.
Oh, really? 8-)
ZioKiller wrote:This one should be related to the GUI Idle calls... maybe the host skips some calls and the plugin can't proceed with the execution of all other cascaded instruction in the same procedure (like activating the Learn state).

Based on what I can see, your PlugIn receives effEditIdle dispatcher calls roughly every 50 milliseconds, just like it should. What else are you doing? If you don't want to lead techy discussions here, please email office at hermannseib dot com as usual.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:Hmm.
I have to apply quite some guesswork here.
I guess that means that you drag the VB3 Main Window (the little thing with the many little buttons which displays only the DLL name and title) around, which would be the only thing I can imagine having a "blue band". That sounds a bit like Voodoo to me. Pressing Ctrl (or not) and then dragging the main window around doesn't change anything - unless you move the main window over the VB3 Editor window, in which case VB3 has to redraw parts of the GUI.
ZioKiller wrote:I guess this is a VSThost bug. AFAIK, the new versions of VSThost and SAVIhost have introduced new bugs that Hermann is about to wipe out.
Oh, really? 8-)
ZioKiller wrote:This one should be related to the GUI Idle calls... maybe the host skips some calls and the plugin can't proceed with the execution of all other cascaded instruction in the same procedure (like activating the Learn state).

Based on what I can see, your PlugIn receives effEditIdle dispatcher calls roughly every 50 milliseconds, just like it should. What else are you doing? If you don't want to lead techy discussions here, please email office at hermannseib dot com as usual.

All,

Still not working. I'm new to the Forum. Didn't realize the 'hermannseib dot com" option. Will do that.

Thanks,

Rick

Return to “Instruments”