Plug-in for letting your guitar control a plug-in synth?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recall Reaper has a tone-to-MIDI tool that I tried as an alternative to Jam Origin some time back ... don't know if anyone using it?

Got money?
Linnstrument, yes there is a learning curve
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I recall years ago seeing a set of what I think was using infrared or some other kind of optical pick ups you could mount on any guitar to play midi instruments, it was probably shiite. I would have thought technology would have advanced though and something similar which actually worked existed now, I can't find it though

To be honest I actually thought that you would be able to get a box like a stomp pedal by now, which you could just plug your guitar into and a midi signal would come out of the box you could just plug into your synth or computer

YnJ wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:05 am I recall years ago seeing a set of what I think was using infrared or some other kind of optical pick ups you could mount on any guitar to play midi instruments, it was probably shiite. I would have thought technology would have advanced though and something similar which actually worked existed now, I can't find it though

To be honest I actually thought that you would be able to get a box like a stomp pedal by now, which you could just plug your guitar into and a midi signal would come out of the box you could just plug into your synth or computer
The optical thing is real and surprisingly inexpensive but the only real difference between it and a hex or piezo pickup is it delivers an even stronger fundamental tone, otherwise they’re the same technology. Yamaha solved the latency issue 40 years ago by putting all high E strings on the G-10. The Mad Catz is basically doing what the Guitorgan did in the 60’s (Peavey also made a Cyberbass that had sensors in the frets). The rubber fretboard guitars (YouRock, the Mad Catz Mustang) are doing what Suzuki did with the XG-1 in the 80’s.

So yeah, nothing new out there but they’re cheaper and better now. The Mad Catz Mustang is probably the best bang for your buck and the Mad Catz Squire is killer if you want the feel and look of a real guitar.

YnJ wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:05 am I recall years ago seeing a set of what I think was using infrared or some other kind of optical pick ups you could mount on any guitar to play midi instruments

Are you thinking of this instead?

https://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:36 pm Are you thinking of this instead?

https://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/
Thanks, this might actually work for me. Depends on the latency, if you can play notes vibrato or bend them, and if you can connect it to and use it with any plug in synth you have. I'm not looking for a keyboard replacement, I'm looking for something I can play synthesized or sampled mainly real world stringed instruments with in a more practical and natural way than I would on a keyboard. Monophonic is fine, what matters is no latency and a natural reaction to vibrato and bends

Just get a Sonuus G2M, play high up the fretboard (higher pitches track faster), and pitch down in your synth.

the string bend is a pain, will usually be sent as note on and off up the keys rather than modulate the pitch wheel type sounds.
at least this was my long distant experience with midi via guitar.

if the fishman looks ok,
u can use the industry standard, a Roland GK3 pup to whatever converter
if you want to use the hex pup I can help with my software 2SYN,
to a perfectly acceptable playability.

I have stopped working on that project because of the MadCatz,
but if you want it, it works good

there are VSTs and Reaktor builds

Uncle E wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:41 pm Just get a Sonuus G2M, play high up the fretboard (higher pitches track faster), and pitch down in your synth.
At least it's inexpensive and simple to use. I ordered one, so I guess I'll find out if it's what I'm looking for. I can always return it if it's not working for me

nix808 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:57 pm if the fishman looks ok,
From what I gather from reviews etc (never tried it..) the Fishman does its own midi conversion, so no other hardware necessary.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:04 pm
nix808 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:57 pm if the fishman looks ok,
From what I gather from reviews etc (never tried it..) the Fishman does its own midi conversion, so no other hardware necessary.
Yeah, the fishman (at least the one I have) has a small controller that mounts via the guitar's strap pin and directly connects to the pu. That unit in turn connects via bluetooth to your pc via a special dongle.

In my experience none of these will work super good, or at least not without a lot of effort/learning curve. Not so say it won't get a very large percent right, but the little bit that they get wrong are a pain to correct for...

Chorda might be cool for what you're looking for:

http://kck.st/3pJhAyp

Still more expensive than the Mad Catz Mustang but this one does MPE.

Nah, I think I'll just put this on ice for a while. I tried Sonuus G2M, way too much latency to have any use though. As long as I can play guitar patterns faster and more naturally on a keyboard than a converter can keep up with a guitar, there's no use for a converter

Yeah, I hear you. I’ve been chasing the MIDI guitar dream for over 40 years. Now I’ve mostly given up and usually use effects instead. But you can get cool sounds by layering the effected sound with synths, and the Mustang is surprisingly good for how cheap it is.

Return to “Guitars”