Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo PPG Wave 3.V Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

lalo wrote:
Ingonator wrote: I reported this myself but it seems to be necessary to use the default location for your own patches.

If you got to the Browser (the corresponding button above "Edit") and then right-click on the "user library" entry at the left of the browser in the right-click menu you will find "Reveal in Explorer" which will open the default loctaion for user patches.
thanks, but i think this is a very unconfortable issue. mostly if you want/have to work on your projects on different machines you need to port all your custom or used patches in the song project directory.
I think the developers should think seriously about this.

thanks
There are many (if not most) softsynths that have a fixed location for user patches.

Anyway i just had another look at the patch browser in Largo. If you open the browser (button above "edit") and right-click at "User Library" (at the left of the browser) besides "Reveal in Explorer" there is an entry called "Add Scan folder..." where you could add another location for patches.
It is maybe necessary to use "Refresh" or "Refresh All" from te right-click menu.

After that the left part of the Largo browser should have three entries called "Local Library", "User Library" and the name of you new folder. By clicking on those entries you could open the included patches.

Just tested this myself and it seems to work. Somehow i seemed to have ignored that feature to create your own locations. This is also contained with the browser of PPG Wave 3.V.

This is a quote from the Largo manual concerning Preset locations (page 19 of the english manual):
The File Browser shows at least the content of the default Largo Program locations on disk. They are called Local Library (accessible for all users of the particular computer) and User Library (accessible only for the current user) respectively and are located in the following locations (note that folder names might be localized or personalized on your operating system version. Those folder names appear in [brackets]):

Presets Location on a Mac computer:
Local Library: /Library/Audio/Presets/Waldorf/Largo/
User Library: [User home directory]/Library/ Audio/Presets/Waldorf/Largo/

Preset Location on a Windows computer:
Please note that we have changed the location of the Largo factory sounds. They are installed in the Local
Library folder as written below. If you like, you can overwrite these sounds with your existing sound library in the Windows Explorer.

Local Library: [Largo installation path]\Waldorf\Largo Sounds
User Library: [Documents And Settings]\[User home directory]\[Application Data]\Waldorf\Largo\

Further folders can be added and removed at will but we strongly recommend to not add an entire hard disk or other huge folder structure since scanning those might take a very long time and if the number of found items is huge, Largo might behave unpredictable.
At my computer (Windows 7 64-bit) the User location seems to be at:
Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Waldorf\Largo\
So maybe the manual has to be updated with this. Maby e it is different in other Windows versions.
A good way to find it is the "Reveal in Explorer" feature in the browser.

About the right-click menu in the left part of the browser (page 20):
• Reveal in Finder [Mac] / Reveal in Explorer [Windows] – reveals the selected files or folders
in a Finder [Mac] or Explorer [Windows] window.

• Add Scan Folder... – shows a folder select dialog to select a folder that is scanned for folders and
files with known file types and the result is added to the File Browser view. No files are copied by this command, the selected folder is only added to the view tree. All added scan folders are stored in Largo's preferences when Largo is closed and they are added to the File Browser automatically on subsequent launches.

• Remove Scan Folder – removes the selected toplevel folder from the list of scanned folders if
possible. The main library folders Local Library and User Library cannot be removed, only the custom scan folders can.

• Refresh – refreshes the content of the selected folder or the enclosing folder if a file is selected.

• Refresh All – refreshes the content of all folders.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I tried to create my own location but my patches does not load automatically. I have to explicitly load when i re-open the song. Very uncomfortable IMHO

I just tried saving a project to the desktop instead of the default Reaper project location and it still loads the Largo preset I saved it with so this is a Largo on Windows issue rather than a Largo issue by design - this is clearly undesirable behaviour.

lalo wrote:I tried to create my own location but my patches does not load automatically. I have to explicitly load when i re-open the song. Very uncomfortable IMHO
I guess i maybe found a problem now but i have to do some more tests.

So far It looks like when re-loading a saved project the GUI shows the values for my own patch i saved with the project but seems to play another one patch which seems to be the factory preset that was stored at the same location. When switching patches to the next and back it seems to be correct again. This also seems to happen with my own patch in the default user library location.

If i save a factory preset with the project it seems to load properly so this seems to be a problem related to user presets.

I'll have to check this further and try to prepare a proper bug report for the developer.

UPDATE:
The bug as reported above seems to happen with Reaper 64-bit (on Windows 7 64-bit) but not with Live 9.1.2 64-bit which is my main host.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

i have the same exact problem. can't find better words to describe it!

lalo wrote:i have the same exact problem. can't find better words to describe it!
Hi,

as alraedy mentioned i could replicate a problem in Reaper 64-bit (on Windows 7 64-bit but so far not on Ableton Live 9.1.2 64-bit.

Would be interesting to hear how it works in other hosts than those 2. Will try to check in additional ones myself. a problem with many demo versions of hosts (e.g. bitwig Studio) is that saving/loading projects seems to be disabled.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

I have the same problem with Tracktion 5.

a.

Ableton Live works correctly i can confirm.
So Reaper and Tracktion no go.
Ableton go.

But definitely i have this problem only with Largo, so it's a bug ;-)

lalo wrote:Ableton Live works correctly i can confirm.
So Reaper and Tracktion no go.
Ableton go.

But definitely i have this problem only with Largo, so it's a bug ;-)
I just sent an email to the developer which contains what i found so far.

Not sure if anyone of the testers or the developer uses Tracktion. I never used it so far.

Anyway hopefuly a fixed bug in Reaper will also solve that in Tracktion.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
I just sent an email to the developer which contains what i found so far.

Not sure if anyone of the testers or the developer uses Tracktion. I never used it so far.

Anyway hopefuly a fixed bug in Reaper will also solve that in Tracktion.
Cool, i'm sure that it has something to do with VST preset handling and/or VST Chunks.

In the last weeks this thread and also most of the testing + bug fixing seemed to be mostly focused on Largo but finally after a few weeks i got an new beta version/installer of PPG Wave 3.V 64-bit... :)

Will check that ASAP. So far this seemed to be more bug free than Largo but Largo has more parameters.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:In the last weeks this thread and also most of the testing + bug fixing seemed to be mostly focused on Largo but finally after a few weeks i got an new beta version/installer of PPG Wave 3.V 64-bit... :)

Will check that ASAP. So far this seemed to be more bug free than Largo but Largo has more parameters.

Ingo
From what I understand there were fewer bugs to start with than in Largo, so hopefully PPG3 will be pretty imminent...

Have they allowed resizing or larger GUI for higher definition screens?

I don't think resizing is going to happen for Waldorf plugins this time around.

EvilDragon wrote:I don't think resizing is going to happen for Waldorf plugins this time around.
Agreed. As already metioned above ther should not be new features. There is already tons of work with getting the plugins bug free as they are (multiple products with multiple plugin versions), with new features it would be even worse.
Now there seem to be even bugs that only appear in certain hosts which is another PITA (see posts above).
Most other bugs happened in multiple hosts.

BTW some bugs that were removed now were already found in the old 32-bit plugin.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

I finally decided it was the right time to hop aboard the Largo train.

My first impression is, what a superb sounding synth it is.

There is a clarity, warmth and depth that is hard to describe. A certain movement and three dimensionality, or something. The dynamics of the oscillators seem well-considered. And I think the filters are something special.

So far so good with my configuration (Windows 7 x64, Cubase 7.5.2, Largo VST3 64-bit / 1.5.2 RC1).
Last edited by jalcide on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”