Logic Pro team decimated? [Answer: NO. See last post for link to new thread.]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Robmobius wrote:There's definitely something going on there alright...Probably a shake up. But I doubt they will ever Abandon it.

It's just because there's a general lack of information about the whole Logic X thing. I'm sure they will get around to it eventually.
Apple ditching Logic would not only say "screw you" to 1000s if not millions of users, it would also affect 100s of developers who rely on OS X + Logic + Audio Units to make a living (not to mention and sample and loop library developers).

Apple may be evil at times, but I doubt they are evil enough to do that ... just sayin'.

Peace,
Andy.
Yes, but look at what Apple did with Final Cut X, basically a "screw you" to pro video editors.

It was a total "new paradigm" redesign no one in the pro video community asked for, removing the concept of "tracks", deleting a bunch of features pros need/use, and instituting a weird default ripple editing mode that can't be bypassed.

I really like the MBP I just bought but it's clear that Apple's main focus is on moving units and selling consumer widgets, not supporting pro media creators.

djanthonyw wrote:Logic was just updated last month, on October 25th, 2012.
This!!!

What's it had, maybe 3 updates this year? Seems about average to me. It's generally very stable for me, some new features would be nice but there is no feature missing that is stopping me making music. I see Logic going nowhere, probably will get released when they update the Pro range next year.

I also think the Logic price drop was a big one fingered salute to other DAW companies. I think they have made their money from it by now. I remember Logic 7 being €1000
Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
Artist: http://soundcloud.com/nigel
Label: http://soundcloud.com/diplopiarecords

Winstontaneous wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Robmobius wrote:There's definitely something going on there alright...Probably a shake up. But I doubt they will ever Abandon it.

It's just because there's a general lack of information about the whole Logic X thing. I'm sure they will get around to it eventually.
Apple ditching Logic would not only say "screw you" to 1000s if not millions of users, it would also affect 100s of developers who rely on OS X + Logic + Audio Units to make a living (not to mention and sample and loop library developers).

Apple may be evil at times, but I doubt they are evil enough to do that ... just sayin'.

Peace,
Andy.
Yes, but look at what Apple did with Final Cut X, basically a "screw you" to pro video editors.

It was a total "new paradigm" redesign no one in the pro video community asked for, removing the concept of "tracks", deleting a bunch of features pros need/use, and instituting a weird default ripple editing mode that can't be bypassed.

I really like the MBP I just bought but it's clear that Apple's main focus is on moving units and selling consumer widgets, not supporting pro media creators.
but this is only half the story...not really fair to print it without then reporting how they bit the bullet and responded to all the customer feedback...

i really think that things have changed at apple with regard to feedback, no more so than in the case of logic...time was when users complained about the frequency of logic updates, but in the last couple of years updates have been pretty steady including very recently

there's also the redmatica buyout by apple, clearly for some audio jiggery-pokery that will probably find it's way into some logic iteration

Robmobius wrote:Well, if it's 'decimated' that means only 10% had been cut.
It's more like "reduced to 10%", I think.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: there's also the redmatica buyout by apple, clearly for some audio jiggery-pokery that will probably find it's way into some logic iteration
Yeah, Apple buying a company within the last year that (almost) exclusively makes/made high end Logic specific DAW tools for the EXSMKII sampler really sounds like Apple is abandoning Logic.

machinesworking wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: there's also the redmatica buyout by apple, clearly for some audio jiggery-pokery that will probably find it's way into some logic iteration
Yeah, Apple buying a company within the last year that (almost) exclusively makes/made high end Logic specific DAW tools for the EXSMKII sampler really sounds like Apple is abandoning Logic.
thats quite a shame, was considering buying it but will stick with sonar x2 because its coming on leaps and bounds especially with the prochannel modules, the console emulations are as good as the waves offerings seriously if anyone is interested in a pc alternative but please ignore this as its not intended as flamebait because I used to use Emagic logic on the PC and I have to say the APhex exciter clone is one of the best PC effects I ever heard along with the organ emulation too and thats from years ago :( sad if it turns out to be true

I'm surprised seeing what's going on with Samsung and others that Apple hasn't sued All the other DAWs companies :?

:hihi:
MuLab of course :D

Phase47 wrote: I've heard the rumors too, and from people that actually work @ Apple that Apple has lost interest in further developing Logic as a professional app. But I'm with Andy here, if Apple dropped or stopped developing Logic, there'd be a fairly big backlash from AU developers.
And that would worry Apple because?... You do realize that nowadays, Apple business is basically iPhone and iPad, right? And that they are profit driven, and have to explain the quarterly results to share holders, right?
Fernando (FMR)

No offense but do you guys even read other posts?
Apple just last June bought an Italian company called Redmatica.
Redmatica make high end software for the EXS24 sampler in Logic.

So, there isn't any rational reason to buy out a company that makes third party software for Logic if you plan to abandon it. Dumbest rumor ever almost. :roll:

That's for supplying additional content package... To buy other company is cheaper than to build from the ground.

tooneba wrote:That's for supplying additional content package... To buy other company is cheaper than to build from the ground.
Not sure what you mean by "additional content package", but it's not so weird to notice a company doing great things with your software and want to get them integrated even further in. I switched from Logic 8 to Digital Performer a while ago, but I'm still excited to see what Logic X brings, especially with Redmatica code on board. Everybody's embedded sampler is cheap cheap cheap, but what with Redmatica integration and hopefully a more robust filter section etc. I'm guessing the EXSMK-IV in Logic X will be a monster. :shock:

I posted this another debate about Apple and Logic but it's still relevant.

Think about a Mac + Logic as a burger with a side of fries. In other words, Apple is saying "would you like fries with that"? Which then generates a further $199 revenue every time a customer says "yes".

Also, Apple knows that having very attractive, slick "pro apps" such as Logic available to demonstrate in store makes their hardware look like da bomb.

Logic (and FCPX etc.) helps Apple sell Macs, period.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

SJ_Digriz wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote: Yes, but Logic users also form a significant percentage of revenue ...
???

I doubt seriously that Logic even shows up as a 5 decimal place % impact on their software products sheet
Clearly our experiences are very, very different. Unfortunately I can't post numbers to back this up, since it's under a NDA ...

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:I posted this another debate about Apple and Logic but it's still relevant.

Think about a Mac + Logic as a burger with a side of fries. In other words, Apple is saying "would you like fries with that"? Which then generates a further $199 revenue every time a customer says "yes".

Also, Apple knows that having very attractive, slick "pro apps" such as Logic available to demonstrate in store makes their hardware look like da bomb.

Logic (and FCPX etc.) helps Apple sell Macs, period.

Peace,
Andy.
I agree but for me, it's the fries that cause me to have to buy the burger. (just like at McDonald's)

Until the Tracktion resurrection occurs (which the prophets including Jules are hinting at for NAMM 2013), I'm about to save up my dollars to totally switch teams, including computing platform, etc. to go with Logic Pro, which means I will need to buy a Mac, which I currently do not have (3 PC household here).

And strangely enough, part of it is the coolness of Garageband on my iPhone that has me even remotely thinking of switching teams to Mac platform. If Apple devs can do that with something that fits in my pocket and only charge 5$ for it, I'm much more inclined to go with what seems like the closest thing to my love for Tracktion that is in the marketplace today.

So, I will have a burger with the fries, maybe.

liquidsound wrote:I'm surprised seeing what's going on with Samsung and others that Apple hasn't sued All the other DAWs companies :?

:hihi:
Good idea!! Samsung should hire some of the old emagic team and develop their own DAW.. call it... the Galaxys IV Pro and make it look nearly identical to Logic.. but only release it for android :dog:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”