Softube Fix Phaser

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to have too many Phasers...
I might have to find out.

I'm good with Melda's and Blie Cat's free Phasors and sometimes the Adam Szambo one.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm I like Softube. Their free Saturation knob plugin, and also the reverbs they did for NI are pretty nice. Fix Phaser sounds absolutely wesome too, as i mentioned, by far the best i heard in phaser plugins, it's just that ridiculous CPU hit which prevents me from buying.
I don't think anyone in this thread said their plugins sound bad.

The phaser, yes, I would agree it is one of, but not THE best. I have four phasers I really like:

- Instant Phaser (the most breathtakingly analog sounding, in my opinion
- Fix Phaser
- Stunning Phaser
- and last but certainly not least the unassuming Hofa one, which is dead easy to use, but
super versatile (features - amongst other things - five different algorithms) and sounds great

B.t.w.: I am pretty sure Fix Phaser uses smart (sample-rate dependent) oversampling. If I switch from 44.100 to 96k it barely makes a difference CPU-wise. I would guess it's 4x @44.100 and 2x from 88.200 upwards.
Last edited by jens on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Dunno what it is, but, the Fix Phaser has some kind of creaminess, and doesn't degrade the dry signal as much as other phasers. Instead, it seems to add space to it, and beef. Hard to explain. It seems to enhance the sound. Dunno if it works for everything, but, it surely worked on the sounds i ran through it (supersaws, pad sounds).

I uninstalled it earlier though. No point in lusting after something which i simply wouldn't use very often, when it takes so much CPU that i wouldn't be able to run more than a few synths through it.

NI Phasis actually sounds great too, with much lower CPU hit. The only thing i never was too fond of with Phasis is the feedback. It seems to dampen the whole signal, and the "resonance" sounds a tad lame.

Phasis doesn't seem to feature any non-linearities though, so I'd guess it doesn't need over-sampling...

did you try the Hofa one? You can set both the on- and offline oversampling yourself, so it might get you there without the CPU hit...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 pm did you try the Hofa one? You can set both the on- and offline oversampling yourself, so it might get you there without the CPU hit...
I'll check it out. :tu:

vurt wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 am I'm not feeling that urine-colored GUI at all. :hihi:
dude, i think you may have a bladder infection :o
Nah I just drink way too much beer.

IMO the v1 of D16 Fazortan sounds reasonably close to the Fix Phaser and uses very little CPU.

dubguy99 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am IMO the v1 of D16 Fazortan sounds reasonably close to the Fix Phaser and uses very little CPU.
I love Fazortan and actually prefer its sound to that of Fix Phaser. :tu:

dubguy99 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am IMO the v1 of D16 Fazortan sounds reasonably close to the Fix Phaser and uses very little CPU.
Sounds completely different to me, to be honest.

I never really liked Fazortan. IMO, there are way better phasers.

Sure are, but I dig the sound myself. 8)

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:45 am

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of your favorite plugin phasers?

Adam Szabo's free Phazor is nice for me, the onboard phaser of Spire is great, and Phasis is quite good (although not my favorite). Those ar the ones which stood out, i also tried Melda's MPhaser, Studio One's included phaser, Cubase's included phaser, the Admiral Quality phaser... probably some more which i can't remember.

As i mentioned, Fix Phaser sounds by far the best to me. :cry: Please, Softube, donate me a new high end CPU. :D

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:45 am

Same here - I have the whole Silverline bundle and never use it, as frankly, the just sound boring to me... I don't really know how to word that better

Return to “Effects”