Looking for Access Virus emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want a virus, then buy a virus TI. Go for the real thing instead of fake emulations.

But the question is, why you want an emulation? Just buy the plugins that you like and start making music.
Last edited by Bla28 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old discussion but not an old shoe. The Virus is still competetive. Just a classic virtual analog synth. People will cry in 30 years.

I own a Virus TI2. A great synth.

...I keep it packed up in the back corner of my basement, though.

Personally, I prefer Spire. It gives me the Virus-y sounds I like more conveniently.

THAT SAID: I have no plans to sell the Virus. If nothing else, it's a great piece of hardware and can make a great controller. And it sounds great, sure. ...I just find it ... relatively limited, compared to VSTs. YMMV.

FWIW, I also own a bunch of other "Virus-like" synths. In order of preference (for me, for the "virus sound"), they are: VPS Avenger, Rapid, Pigments, Dune. ...and a handful of others, though they are either more of a stretch for getting the sound (e.g.: Diva, Largo, Omnisphere), or I just don't like them (e.g.: Sylenth). There are others that I do not own (e.g.: Phaseplant)

Pick (any) two, IMO, and you will never need a Virus. That said: the Virus is worth the price, if you can swing it.

(Just don't rely on the VST bridge thingie. It's not terribly stable and likely won't be well-supported in the future, IMO.)

Introspective wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:00 pm I own a Virus TI2. A great synth.

...I keep it packed up in the back corner of my basement, though.

Personally, I prefer Spire. It gives me the Virus-y sounds I like more conveniently.
It may not sound the same, but, I always found that Spire has "that" kind of hardware sound. Bit Virus-y, and like the JP-8k. Not the same, but, a similar ballpark.

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:04 pm It may not sound the same, but, I always found that Spire has "that" kind of hardware sound. Bit Virus-y, and like the JP-8k. Not the same, but, a similar ballpark.
Agreed: definitely not the same, but scratches many of the same itches.

Tone 2 Warlock is also a great alternative :tu:

Viper is reasonably close for an emulation, especially for the sounds involving FM.

Besides that, my top 3 virusy-sounding synths are Spire, Hive2 and Rapid. Can really sound very close or even better in some cases.

Regardless of that, I'll never sell my Snow. Luckily TI works well enough with my new PC. Making some sounds for my current track right as I'm typing this, delicious sound!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

If you already have an Access Virus C, know how to extract the ROM, and it's legal in your country to do so, this is worth a look: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

I work with the Virus for years now and will switch to the TI in the near future.

The Virus has a "stability" in sound that is absolutely unique. You can play any patch from C-1 to C8 if you want to, while VSTs usually sound good within 2-3 octaves (and not more). And despite of that: the sound is as brilliant and consistant, while VST sound is frequently undifferentiated somehow.

Try it. It can replace whole VST folders. Check the filters first. Nothing compares.

And if you are looking for VA sound also check Disco DSP Discovery Pro. It´s close to the Nord.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:06 pm Tone 2 Warlock is also a great alternative :tu:
For what?

HAL76 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm The Virus has a "stability" in sound that is absolutely unique. You can play any patch from C-1 to C8 if you want to, while VSTs usually sound good within 2-3 octaves (and not more).
That's what I often notice with most of the soft synths: Narrow sweet spot (wouldn't say it's a matter of the octaves you play though, rather, that they sound good for some sounds, but sound bad for others). There are some soft synths which have a big sweet spot, but, you come across them rarely (and I own most of the ones which seemed to sound good no matter what I threw at them :D).

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:06 pm Tone 2 Warlock is also a great alternative :tu:
For what?
a ska wizard :shrug:

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:13 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 pm
For what?
a ska wizard :shrug:

:hihi:

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:03 pm
HAL76 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:39 pm The Virus has a "stability" in sound that is absolutely unique. You can play any patch from C-1 to C8 if you want to, while VSTs usually sound good within 2-3 octaves (and not more).
That's what I often notice with most of the soft synths: Narrow sweet spot (wouldn't say it's a matter of the octaves you play though, rather, that they sound good for some sounds, but sound bad for others). There are some soft synths which have a big sweet spot, but, you come across them rarely (and I own most of the ones which seemed to sound good no matter what I threw at them :D).
I feel that nothing compares - and has ever compared. The Virus is based on physical modelling. I guess that makes the difference.

If you play a sound three octaves deeper you get something completely different for sure. But it usually sounds good and interesting. Same with high pitches. You can really use the C6 upwards, while you´ll get severe aliasing FX with VSTs. Even with "modelelled after analog" VST synths.

On the other hand you´ll often have the "problem to mix the virus". We have all read about this phenomenon already. But I can´t count that as a disadvantage. If the Virus sounds too big you can take any other Synth around instead. VSTs will definitely help!

Return to “Instruments”