Guitars are too physically demanding and painful to learn.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ... Apparently, all my life I've played long scale/Fender style electrics. Which is funny to me now, since I never really noticed before!?

Two big revelations:
Short scale guitars are easier on the fingers to play for me. The string tension is lower and I can hold chords and do bends easier than on my Tele, with same gauge strings.
Two, short scale guitars have a sound that I've been after for a while now, which if I were paying attention, I might have guessed, since so many of my favorite players use Les Pauls.
But, I play lefty, so I haven't played many different guitars and so one day I find these things out ...

Anyway, about the 335 in specific, I find it very comfortable to play. I think has to do with the placement of the top strap button; it's placed at the neck joint--like an acoustic--not the horn. It's also slim and light weight ... Wish I knew about these earlier!
01212_4s0ali5CTP9_0cc0gg_1200x900.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ha. I just remembered. When I was in my highschool band, I started off with the tuba. Why would I do that? Welp… my best mate still lived in the burbs where we grew up but I was in the big city. He played the tuba in his school band which actually came to one of the Nordic countries, here. So, I copied him.
I switched to drums within 2 weeks. Carrying home a tuba and practicing in an apartment? I must've been barking mad…
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Could you even carry the thing on your own? :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Luckily, I didn't live too far from school, and it had a case, and I was a very fit 1.91 cm 14 year old!
But I lasted 2 weeks. Even had a drum teacher teaching me paradiddles and flamadiddles… :lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

we had a few tuba players and various brass. it's a big thing up/over here, the northern colliery brass bands.

never fancied it myself, both heavy and fairly expensive, not to mention they made you dress like a twat for competitions.

So, anyone complaining about the guitar elicits the 'world's smallest violin' mime.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ... Apparently, all my life I've played long scale/Fender style electrics. Which is funny to me now, since I never really noticed before!?

Two big revelations:
Short scale guitars are easier on the fingers to play for me. The string tension is lower and I can hold chords and do bends easier than on my Tele, with same gauge strings.
Two, short scale guitars have a sound that I've been after for a while now, which if I were paying attention, I might have guessed, since so many of my favorite players use Les Pauls.
But, I play lefty, so I haven't played many different guitars and so one day I find these things out ...

Anyway, about the 335 in specific, I find it very comfortable to play. I think has to do with the placement of the top strap button; it's placed at the neck joint--like an acoustic--not the horn. It's also slim and light weight ... Wish I knew about these earlier!

I drilled into my beautiful Gretsch to put a button at the neck joint for better balance. Not all guitars need the button there. Depends on the body shape and weight, etc.

There's probably not consensus on what is considered short scale but I think of short scale as 24" or even shorter like on Fender Mustangs and Duosonics. For me Gibson's 24.75" is kind of "medium," being shorter than a Tele but longer than a Mustang or PRS. For me the neck size and fretboard width are probably more important than the scale. But we all have different hands and preferences!

So, anyone complaining about the guitar elicits the 'world's smallest violin' mime.
Yes.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Is there a short scale version of the world’s tiniest violin?

Asking for a delicate guitar-playing friend…
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ... Apparently, all my life I've played long scale/Fender style electrics. Which is funny to me now, since I never really noticed before!?

Two big revelations:

Nice guitar. I had an Artcore AS103 NT a while back. I found it too heavy for my taste, though it played great.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Guitar neck, also playing positions
https://youtu.be/nqmZQ-A949g
This is how I turned painful to no pain

Slide.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

GuyaGuy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:16 pm
lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ...
I drilled into my beautiful Gretsch to put a button at the neck joint for better balance. Not all guitars need the button there. Depends on the body shape and weight, etc.

There's probably not consensus on what is considered short scale but I think of short scale as 24" or even shorter like on Fender Mustangs and Duosonics. For me Gibson's 24.75" is kind of "medium," being shorter than a Tele but longer than a Mustang or PRS. For me the neck size and fretboard width are probably more important than the scale. But we all have different hands and preferences!
I just checked the fret board radius on my Tele (9.75") and AS93 (12") ... interesting

Ultimately, I'd say the two guitars make me want to play different things. As in different attitudes.

So did your Gretch modification work out well?
I have a 5 string bass I'd like to perhaps modify in the same way.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:03 pm
lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ...
Nice guitar. I had an Artcore AS103 NT a while back. I found it too heavy for my taste, though it played great.
Did you ever weight it?
I just weighed mine and it looks like 8 lbs, on the dot.

Nah. It was just heavier than my other guitars. My old back tells me what's ok and what isn't.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”