Guitars are too physically demanding and painful to learn.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I play piano, I can play all day, my hands or fingers never hurt, I decided to try guitar past few weeks and LOL wtf?

First, the guitar is fricken awkward to hold, if you don't have jeans or your pants off it slides right down your leg.

Besides guitar being awkward to hold, the notes and the position your fingers gotto hit is just weird.

then, your fingertips fricken hurt, you end up getting callouses and stuff and they just sting. Supposedly your not suppose to fret so hard but I hear season players still complain about this.

Then, you easily risk joint/tendon injuries if you don't have PERFECT thumb/wrist/picking placement, i'll walk you through my week:

day 1: Guitar slides down leg, wtf? *takes pants off, positions guitar on skin* finally I have it in solid position, "ow my fingertips and thumb hurt why?"
*searches youtube videos* "Don't press so hard, don't pinch with thumb,
day 2: Healing thumb joint

Day 3: Ok, now I know what to do, few hours of noodling around "ow my wrist hurts, why? Also I'm getting backpain"
*searches youtube* do these stretches, don't bend wrist at all, keep it straight and don't put any pressure, pull back with your body to press strings down" Don't hunch over in chair it causes backpain"

Day 4: healing wrist joint, doing stretches'

Day 5: OK for sure this time, I can manage, I sit up straight, wrist straight, thumb to side not pinching, play few hours ??? WRIST STILL HURTS, back still hurts

Day 6: heal wrist and back, order guitar strap

Day 7: get guitar strap, OK I'LL PLAY STANDING UP, NO MORE BACKPAIN
"ow! My shoulder hurts now!"
*searches youtube* Yes, playing with strap cuases shoulder pain, do these stretches

day 8: sigh..... this is too painful to learn

strap?

it gets easier, like any excercise the body adjusts over time.

keep at it grasshopper.

You wait till you get to barre chords. That's when the fun really starts. Ouch!

dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm You wait till you get to barre chords. That's when the fun really starts. Ouch!
40 years playing. Still bloody hurt after a few minutes... :cry:

OOH! FEEL DA BURN IN THE FINGERTIPS, THROBBING IN TIME WITH YOUR PULSE!
:hyper:
Fun times!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Blood, Sweat and Tears Bro. :band2:

lotus2035 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:50 pm Blood
Come on now, let's not get all 'Bryan Adams'.

Good old Bryan, His best work was Reign in Blood. :troll:

kanoharuayu wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:27 pm I play piano, I can play all day, my hands or fingers never hurt, I decided to try guitar past few weeks and LOL wtf?
Guitar is one of those lower instruments designed in the medieval time. They claim it was a musical instrument from the start, but I suspect it was really a torture tool given to those musicians who disobeyed the crown.

Today it is primarily used to make screeching sounds, which simulates what your hands feel like after a session of 'play'. You're well on your way to Carpel Tunnel! :clap:

Poor technique or shitty guitar.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Discomfort is the word I'd use for the early stages. If it's actually painful you probably need to fix a technique issue. One of the most important things I wish I'd learned much earlier is to really focus on doing things with the minimum amount of tension you can get away with. So many issues come back to excess tension. This is actually consistent with piano technique I learned in lessons during my youth IME, so I think that frame of reference still applies. The only things I ever needed to "heal" from is slightly sore fingertips. These days if I play for many hours and I'm working a lot on bends or slides I can feel the slight discomfort in my fingertips, but it's a satisfying feeling because it means my callouses are strengthening, which helps with lots of things.

When it comes time to execute barr chords you may experience frustration like this all over again. A thing that will help is developing slight calluses the lenghth of the fretting hand index finger. If the surface fretting the note is harder, you don't have to press with as much force.

I got CTS from playing my friend's Ovation 12 string. The neck was caving and the neck angle was atrocious, but was all we had. I remember I had a live show coming up, and I couldn't feel my thumb, middle and ring fingers. So, playing a guitar with horrendous action will cause that, even to an experienced player.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Now, 2 guitars I always felt uncomfortable with sitting up straight:
Les Pauls and round-backs.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I don't experience any major pain playing guitar outside of some annoying hand cramping if the neck is too thick for my small hands. Stick with it.

Forget everything you know about music. Especially as a piano player. Approach it as learning to be a guitar player, not a musician.

Return to “Guitars”