Time stamping for Logic?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need to send a lot of tracks to a producer for mixing in Logic.
Whats the best way to time stamp these?

Most were recorded with Digital Performer which I dont have anymore..(dumped for tracktion).

I tried to zero all the files in tracktion but there seems to be no way to drag each file to insert a blank at the begining.

insert a clip then merge would be ideal..but thats not available.
I could manually time stamp every file but then someones got to line them up at the other end.

tracktion exports bwav files, so any recordings, or exports created by Tracktion will have an embedded time stamp.

(this is only true for wav files, not for aiffs AFAIK)

maybe that will be of help to you.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

Not necessary-- when you export as .wav files, they will have the "broadcast wave" timecode stamped into them, at which point in time, the producer can import them and they should all line up relative to each other.

As long as the producer's edit lines up with yours, it'll be fine. And in any case, Logic has relative snap so it'll still be easy to move them around once he's imported them.

It's all transparent-- you won't see an "include timecode" option anywhere, it'll be automatically included any time you export .wav.

[bah, cross-posted with valley 'n' stuff :)]

Even more conveniently, you can test out the 'export all tracks as separate files' option for quick and easy export. I've not tried it yet, but if it works the way it should, you should have your entire project including timestamps, exported in moments. Don't forget to plan in advance which plug-ins (if any) will be excluded from the renders and disable them accordingly.

When all's done I'd love to hear how it all goes for you.

Greg

Tracktion exports all the audio files but not an edit file. doesn't logic need an edit file for them to all line up?

Nope.

They're all stamped with the broadcast wave standard, which Logic, as one of the most robust sequencers available, should be able to read. I can't imagine Logic not being able to read it.

Your producer may or may not have to enable an option to maintain broadcast-wave time stamping. I don't really know, not being a Logic user myself.

mapper wrote:I need to send a lot of tracks to a producer for mixing in Logic.
Whats the best way to time stamp these?

Most were recorded with Digital Performer which I dont have anymore..(dumped for tracktion).

I tried to zero all the files in tracktion but there seems to be no way to drag each file to insert a blank at the begining.

insert a clip then merge would be ideal..but thats not available.
I could manually time stamp every file but then someones got to line them up at the other end.
If I were you, I'd use the "export all tracks as separate files" feature that T2 has. Its really the safest way to make sure you're audio all lines up. It'll export each track as a wave of the same lenght as the song. So all you have to do is import them into logic and you dont need to align anything.

OK..cool if all I need to do is "export as separate..."
then that should save a lot of time..Thanks to all..I'll let you know how it goes on the Logic end.
It's basically my songs guitar/voice with the odd soft synth thats going to be mashed up by a sound sculpture/beat mangler type..should be a good crossover.
cheers

Tip: Before you take the tracks over to your session, import them all into a new edit just to double check that they all align and you didnt miss any instruments. I've never had problems but it doesnt hurt to double check.

Cheers AD80..
Just did a check and everything was all lined up.

What a relief....I thought it was going to take me at least a week.
Tracktion...eh!...easypeasy.

mapper wrote: Tracktion...eh!...easypeasy.
Yeah I think thats their slogan.

I'm afraid thats copyrighted to me so a royalty would need to be paid... :)

Better talk to Mackie about that haha.

Return to “Tracktion”