Dropout rendering to mono

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recorded a track using EWQLSO Silver and using the bass clarinet sample instrument. I tried to render it to mono (the clarinet is, of course, a melodic instrument so I don't need stereo)but when I loaded the consequent wav file, bits of the sound were missing. When I rendered the original track to stereo, everything was fine, but I don't want a stereo track.
Can anyone help?

Athlon XP 2600, 1Gb RAM, Terratec Phase 22, Roland PC 2000 II controller kb.
Croak

Are you using any effects (or indeed, it could be rooted in the samples themselves, though EWQLSO should be pretty danged good at their job. ;) ) that might affect the phase relation of the stereo image? When audio signals are out of phase with each other, frequencies can be canceled out (hence the drop in volume). A lot of times you don't notice phase errors when listening to a signal in stereo, due to your monitoring situation (headphones won't reproduce phase errors, for example, since your ears are completely isolated with their respective signals!); but when you sum to mono, the errors jump right out.

Lots of effects can change phase. I'd be surprised if the samples themselves have phase errors, but it's always possible!

A way to test without render (ie. to see if it's the track itself and not Tracktion's render algorithm) is to simply sum to mono with a plug-in (3rd party or with a patch bay filter/empty rack) and play back in realtime to see if you can hear those drops you were mentioning. You can download BetabugsAudio's PhaseBug, which has a sum-to-mono function (just click the little buglike mascot on the GUI). As a bonus, if there ARE phase errors, PhaseBug is a good tool for fixing them up. ;)

Greg

which has a sum-to-mono function (just click the little buglike mascot on the GUI).
very cool...never would have found that! (unless, I RTFM!)

Thanks, Greg. I wasn't using any effects at the time, but I'll try all your suggestions this evening.
Cheers
Croak

Return to “Tracktion”