A small rant.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am just so goddamn tired of analog and virtual analog synthesis. I am sick of the sound of square, saw and triangle waveforms being run through a filter.

There are so many cool forms of synthesis out there -- FM, additive, granular and samplemangling for example. I really see no reason for myself to use subtractive analog and virtual analog synths. I can make punchy, strong basses in FM and eerie, unearthly pads with granular synths. I can do strange, trippy leads with additive, and just about anything I could ever want with a good samplemangler like Kontakt. I don't feel any want or need to go back to subtractive synths for "bread and butter" sounds.

So I'm going to draw the line in the sand here, and proclaim myself as one of the only members of this forum who actually prefers the sound of digital synths. Well, so be it. I think you can get way more interesting sounds out of them.

the_nihilist wrote:
So I'm going to draw the line in the sand here, and proclaim myself as one of the only members of this forum who actually prefers the sound of digital synths. Well, so be it. I think you can get way more interesting sounds out of them.

why favour digital over analogue or vice verca?
me,im a fan sof sound.if i like the sound i hear i dont care of the object making the sound is digital, analogue or wet cement(dont ask).
why limit yourself eitherway?

vurt wrote:
the_nihilist wrote:

me,im a fan sof sound.if i like the sound i hear i dont care of the object making the sound is digital, analogue or wet cement(dont ask).
why limit yourself eitherway?
Mostly to piss off analog purists who might post here.

:D

the_nihilist wrote: So I'm going to draw the line in the sand here, and proclaim myself as one of the only members of this forum who actually prefers the sound of digital synths. Well, so be it. I think you can get way more interesting sounds out of them.
Erm okay.

(Do we have an emoticon for patting someone on the head in a thoroughly patronising manner?)

:P
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

a small rant? wouldn't that be a runt?

the_nihilist wrote:I am just so goddamn tired of analog and virtual analog synthesis. I am sick of the sound of square, saw and triangle waveforms being run through a filter.

:phones: :party:

I still think VA's have their uses. Why not use any of the available synthesis types when it's the best choise for the job?

Can I ask which granular synths do you use? :)

@whyte: Some of us do: *patpat*

See? This is what happens when you rely on fancy graphical emoticons instead of learning and maintaining the keyboard-smiley skills our ancestors perfected.

With my ASCII-based emoticons I can make silly faces, little fishes and flowers and airplanes, and cute stuff like OICU812. And let's not forget that the immortal "HA! HA!" was composed in ASCII. *nodnod* It's true.

But really: use whatever sound-making gizzies please you and make the sounds you want to work with. :-) As an analog fiend I disavow any ill will, and wish you many grand experiences.

You lot at it again ;-)

:lol: :smack: :D

Actually even digital synths have to have their sound turned into an analog signal for your ears to hear it so strictly speaking all synths are analog at some point..

(what begins with "p" and ends in "dantic")

manytone wrote:You lot at it again ;-)

:lol: :smack: :D

he started it :x

:hihi:

Someone should create an acoustic synth... :-o

Kraku wrote:Someone should create an acoustic synth... :-o
They did.. it was called the Orchestra

DJ Brahms a famous producer of his time could really make it kick ass!

vurt wrote:
the_nihilist wrote:
Amen. And amen.

Anyway, the lines between the two are so blurred nowadays, even in the hardware world, that it's almost an oxymoron to discuss the differences. Look at Buchla's latest hardware. You'll find both digital and analog technology everywhere, even within one single module you might have several different orders of D/A, A/D conversion.

Acoustic synth? This is pretty close. Google "orchestrion" and start saving money.

Every home should have one:Image

Meffy wrote:Acoustic synth? This is pretty close. Google "orchestrion" and start saving money.

Its not AU or VST though, yet. .. Only available in MDF
Last edited by ianweb123 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”