The truth about XT2 (XT2 info ONLY- no comments here please)

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jorgen wrote:
I know its a really really stupid question, but any idea on when XT2 will be ready?
yes

:hihi:

jorgen

[This topic veered off-topic, so I have split all the views/opinions into a separate topic . . . DarkStar]

I think alot of people are interested in what new features/improvements XT2 will have and Jorgen already leaked a lot about it in various posts which are spread all over this forum. So I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate them.

And that's what this thread is all about. In italic there are Jorgen's own words below the bold 'feature-headlines'. I edited the significant parts out of Jorgen's posts but partially also had to slightly change them due to grammatical reasons. However I didn't change the actual meaning in any way.

So here we go:

-XT2 is more object-oriented than XT1

- new Browser

Samples are currently per seq comp. In XT2 they are per project and can be shared between sequencer comps and sampler comp etc. I have already added drag and drop from the audio pool in the new XT2 browser into anywhere in the project, smooooth!

You can multiselect anything (samples, plugins, clips) in the browser and drag and drop into project. Ive also added multiselct tracks which can be handy...

the browser is starting to get very cool with search and optional highlighting of known files types (wavs, plugins..)

- included fx and synth

XT2 does come with some effects (available everywhere not just in the synth comp).

a new comp in XT2 with "amongst other things" the option to do frequency modulation like a FM synth.

- input metering

- new mixer/routing

In xt2, you route tracks directly to VSTs and not via midi out ports in the sequencer. Same with audio.

I redesigned how the sequencer interacts with the rest of the app

VSTs are not loaded into sequencers anymore. Tracks can be routed to anything (multiple sequecner can connect to the same VSTs if you like).

Sequencer-people dosnt event have to know that there is a "main" window, as all routing can be done in the sequencer and the new mixer. Drag and drop a VST from the new browser and you're all set, ready to tweak.

The outputs of the sequencer will "share/adopt" the output of each track created in it. If you add 3 midi and 3 audio tracks, it will automatically have 3 midi outputs and 3 audio outputs. Right-click a midi track -> output and you'll have a list of all comps with midi-in in the main window.

xt2 will handle complex audio routing with pdc.

there will be a trim control

- improved live-mode

I'm changing the live triggering in xt2 to speed up workflow

- improved gui-behaviour

There have been many FRs on the faders knob behavior so this was one of the first things I improved in XT2 (as well as using mouse wheel to change values)

The toolbars are being reworked. I also prefer fewer buttons, but the option to optionally add buttons free of choice is a nice feature. I'll see what I can do.
Tooltips is coming in xt2

- improved automation

the automation is changed/improved.

Sub tracks for automation

You can automate in the same clip mixer channel settings, send levels, fx insert params and of course all VST params...in xt2 you dont need to use separate envelope track unless you want to automate multiple destinations with the same curve.

automation of fx busses (and group busses) are also clip based.

and you can step edit automation with arrow keys.

- new audio engine

the audio caching is improved in XT2

the XT2 audio engine has more audio caching options

I just added background processing of peakfiles to xt2 audio engine, very smooth.

I've been working a lot on the non-visible parts of XT2 core like new audio engine

- user-definable shortcuts

- undo/redo history

- new blue-screen feature

blue screen coming up

- improved composer

Improving the composer is where Im heading...working on selection to name one...

- new live-comp

live triggering will be changed in xt2. It will be an own comp/window that's lists all "sequences" in eXT that can be played back in the project instead of having to add arrangements and tracks.

The "live comp" is is a part of every project. You dont mess around with tracks in the live comp. Each comp (seq, audio, midi, env, arp) has one or more "presets" that can used in the live grid.

"Under the hood" each cell in the grid is actually a reference to a sequencer arrangement, not to a track or a single part. This is becuase an arr can be anything.

So, double-click in a empty cell and a new arr is created automatically. Drag and drop a sample into a empty cell and a new arr with a track continaing the sample is created automatically. Drag and drop a saved midi part into a cell etc...

So you can do a lot by just drag and drop. Since each cell is an arr, you can later go in and add automation, layer tracks etc. Both easy and flexible.

- Linux version

xt2 is Windows/Linux

WOOT :-D 8)

Here are some fm-sounds from the new synth-comp and a small screenshot:

http://www.xt-hq.com/fmtest.mp3

http://www.xt-hq.com/fmtest2.mp3

Here's a screenshot of the improved automation:

jorgen wrote:Hiya, I know things are taking ages and I dont like being behind schedule I even thinks its very frustrating, but to me this is not all about energyXT2, but the upcoming version as well (3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0...). Even though XT1.3 has a big userbase and the sales are steady each month, I saw this as my big chance to make sure there really IS a future for XT in the long run. Im working really hard on this update, and my highest wish is to get back to the xt-geeky-community-friday-beta-cycle :love: :hail: Im sorry for the delay but XT1.3 really needed a rewrite (XT2 its even written in another language) because its about the "omg, THIS is the energXT I really wanted" :o well, thanks to all the great feedback from the community, it may even happen...

Id better get back to coding

:D

btw, there will be 3 main stages of XT2 testing, more info later...

cheers
jorgen
I'm going to edit this post if and when Jorgen confirms other changes.
Last edited by jens on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Wow, thanks. :D
Mizutaphile.

Don't forget these in regards to the new Live comp. :)
the "live comp" is is a part of every project. You dont mess around with tracks in the live comp. Each comp (seq, audio, midi, env, arp) has one or more "presets" that can used in the live grid.
"Under the hood" each cell in the grid is actually a reference to a sequencer arrangement, not to a track or a single part. This is becuase an arr can be anything.

So, double-click in a empty cell and a new arr is created automatically. Drag and drop a sample into a empty cell and a new arr with a track continaing the sample is created automatically. Drag and drop a saved midi part into a cell etc...

So you can do a lot by just drag and drop. Since each cell is an arr, you can later go in and add automation, layer tracks etc. Both easy and flexible.
Give me freedom or give me television

Former Pharaoh wrote:Don't forget these in regards to the new Live comp. :)
:o

added - had missed that myself - thanks! :-D 8)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Darkstar pm-ed me a few more which I have added! :-D

nice work jens ... thanks fella !!!

(still dont like reaper though)

slainte 8) rob

Good work Jens!!
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Thanks, Jens :D

thanks for that, Jens :-) nice work, mate!

Cheers Jens! I haven't really been following what's coming up for xt2 so I think I'll get the wow factor!.

OMG!
/me speechless

Ok,fanboys. :D
Now you got me curious. Just downloaded the demo and se if i get the "fever"

XT2 is more object-oriented

jorgen
Half developer half human
XT Software
http://www.energy-xt.com

I have added two mp3 links an a small screenshot Soma digged out from somewhere at the bottom of this forum. :-D

What can I say? XT2 sounds like a killer! :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “energyXT”