Rough Draft Audio EQ22

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who's loving Duncan's EQ22 from the dev challenge? I'm using it all over the place, finding that it gives things a satisfying crunch.

(haha. originally called the thread "EQ22" and KVR had this to say: No need to shout! Please don't post topic titles in all CAPITAL LETTERS. Thanks. How about: Eq22)

I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.

It's cool. I had some problems with it.
Probably not Windows 98 friendly id imagine.

Saved it in my Pre-Release Folder. Offers
a nice rich classic look.
OMNIFEX

14.8 GB Of VST Effects And Growing By The Moment :D

Reverse Engineer wrote:I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.
Maybe this might help explain. Basically the OS version will require more CPU and will produce less risk of aliasing.

And EQ22 isn't just an EQ, it's doing all sorts of dynamics mojo, too.
Last edited by shamann on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

shamann wrote:
Reverse Engineer wrote:I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.
Maybe this might help explain. Basically the OS version will require more CPU and will produce less risk of aliasing.

And EQ22 is just an EQ, it's doing all sorts of dynamics mojo, too.
Wow, thanks for the link. Usually on each day that passes i find out i know less and less than i should, today will be a little different. Tomorrow? i'm positive something will arise that illustrates how little i know again. :P

oh me oh my.. I get a thread!

Glad you like it :)

The oversampling was to compensate for the Transient Dispersion which can introduce higher frequencies and potential aliasing (as all compressor/expander/exciter/distortion units are liable to do, depending on settings). It allows the upper-end to retain smoothness. However, it introduces up/downsampling filters, and twice as much processing per sample, so yes CPU load increases.

I was very satisfied with the result. I was going to issue the idea as an April Fools joke first, but missed the deadline and shelved it. When the DC was announced I had a few ideas to play with, and this one seemed the best to go forward with.

DSP

Love it, myself. It's got a great sound and is very quick to work with to good results. The distortion is no frivolous adjunct either - it possesses a very light, crisp quality that wraps guitar especially nicely.

Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.

This EQ-come-dynamics-processor is dope for sure... the sad part being that even if I did a bit of betatesting for it I didn't catch the JP22 pun (which makes this thing rock in sooo many ways) until well after it was released (which makes me dumb by definition, no?) :cry:

:hihi:
Congrats Duncan on yet another great tool and the new site!
.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed".
Apparently it's a bug that only a few choosen people experience (myself included)... it must be a divine message so we don't relay on presets that often... :troll: :wink:
The mind boggles.

It's the very first eq that I've ever had that I look for excuses to put on tracks.

I just barely ever used eq before, despite having every single freeware one. I use them to fix things whereas this just settles things into mixes in that special runagatey way :) I love the dynamic mojo and the warmth.

.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.
That really is a peculiar bug. Some folk have told me that it happens on XYZ, I load up XYZ - works fine. I'm in something of a quandary as to what is happening... Some get it, others don't...

Ho Hum.. I'll keep looking tho :)

DSP

Glad to see this thread I've been throwing EQ22 on lots of stuff in EXT with good results. I really like the way it works on the low end for drums and bass. Seems able to add some punch to the upper bass regions to really help things sit in the mix.

Thanks for your efforts on this, actually thanks to everyone involved in the D.C. it really brought out some great stuff.

Great plugin! I love how it adds cream and texture to vocals. Thanks alot!

Duncan, while we have you here, should you go introducing new features in the futuretime, my first request would be to have an A/B switch. I find I'm having to bypass it all the time through the host just to check to on my changes. My second request would be to have the oversampling enabled by a switch on the GUI, rather than as a separate plugin, mainly because I might be inclined to use the OS version for offline rendering, but the settings I have set up in the non-OS version won't carry over.

duncanparsons wrote:
.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.
That really is a peculiar bug. Some folk have told me that it happens on XYZ, I load up XYZ - works fine. I'm in something of a quandary as to what is happening... Some get it, others don't...

Ho Hum.. I'll keep looking tho :)

DSP

I get it at least in eXT as well (I'd say that's typical Delphi oddness then... :hihi:) - but I agree it's a very nice sounding plugin!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”