Ridiculously Large Pitchbends

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to make some rather huge pitch bends and I am finding that all my favorite vst synths have restricted ranges, to small for my needs. Could anyone recommend a good vst for doing very wide pitch bends or give some advice as to try work around this problem....

You could try using portamento. That should get you a slide of any range the instrument is capable of.

Not sure if this would be useful for your particular application, however.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

I don't understand why they put such a restriction on the range :( very annoying!

Do you mean huge as in an octave or so, or hugh as in 20 octaves or so? Or even more?
bleh

Well most vst synths seem to be restricted to 2 octaves up and 2 octaves down, so you could get a total of 4 octaves. I want more than that, so yes if I wanted 20 octaves I wish I had that flexibility.

You'll never achieve Magnetic Fields 1 with only 4 octaves!
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

... because with extended range you lose precise control.
On synths with one frequency parameter (instead of course / fine) you can try to route the pitch bend wheel to that parameter.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:... because with extended range you lose precise control.
On synths with one frequency parameter (instead of course / fine) you can try to route the pitch bend wheel to that parameter.
With vsti's? And if so could you recommend some that do this?

Pretty bad solution with Xhip:
- set Bend Range to 24
- set Bender Route to "Oscillators Range"
- set Bender Scale to 100%

With that yo get 8 octaves I think, but with some bad stepping.

Edit: if you don't use one of the envelopes and you use a short release, there is a better solution:
You set, for the unused envelope, 100% sustain and the longest release, then set Bender Route to "Oscillators Envelope Depth" and Oscillators Envelope Depth to that envelope. With that you get a bigger range without steps.

gk_nz wrote:Well most vst synths seem to be restricted to 2 octaves up and 2 octaves down, so you could get a total of 4 octaves. I want more than that, so yes if I wanted 20 octaves I wish I had that flexibility.
this is curious... since the range of human hearing is only like 10 octaves, why would you need 20 octaves of sweep? are you composing music for bats or dolphins? out of their range, too, i think. just wondering what you're doing exactly. others might be able to suggest better alternatives if they knew.

bernhardtjeff wrote: this is curious... since the range of human hearing is only like 10 octaves, why would you need 20 octaves of sweep?
lol that wasn't the point I was trying to make, I was refering to the guy I replied to. Its not that I really wanted 20 octaves but rather if I wanted to make a large sweep whether that be 6 octaves or even 10 I wish vsti's had that flexibility. I mean aren't virtual studios, daws and what have you meant to make things easier so you can just worry about being creative. Well I guess not :(

gsoto wrote:Pretty bad solution with Xhip:
- set Bend Range to 24
- set Bender Route to "Oscillators Range"
- set Bender Scale to 100%

With that yo get 8 octaves I think, but with some bad stepping.

Edit: if you don't use one of the envelopes and you use a short release, there is a better solution:
You set, for the unused envelope, 100% sustain and the longest release, then set Bender Route to "Oscillators Envelope Depth" and Oscillators Envelope Depth to that envelope. With that you get a bigger range without steps.
I've never really used xhip before but I will have to give it a try now! I definitely want a smooth and non stepped pitchbend sound, so envelopes it will be!

gsoto wrote:Edit: if you don't use one of the envelopes and you use a short release, there is a better solution:
Correction: set Oscillators Envelope Select to that envelope.
Try setting Parameter Filter to a lower (longer) value too.

With NI's MASSIVE I can sweep 48 semitones (4 octaves) with one envelope, I suspect 96 will be possible if I use two simultaneously.

What about redirecting your pitch bend controller to ctrl the CC for just pitch (instrument or channel NOT global)? Or if your not using an external pitch ctrlr just map the CC to instrument pitch (or octave).. If you fiddle with this, you should be able to get at least 8-12 octaves..

L

Return to “Sound Design”