Vibraphone without Vibrato?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could someone recommend a vibraphone sound without vibrato, or one that is possible to configure without vibrato? (It could also be considered a metallophone sound. Not an ethnic one though, as in a Javanese gamelan, but playing the tempered chromatic scale.)

A marimba or xylophone sound would not be appropriate for what I am looking for here, as I want the metal sound, not wood, with the longer sustain, mellow attacks, but without the vibrato present in many vibraphone samples.

Check out the "Viby" samples (and sfz mapping) in this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3343071

VibraphoneTS (also referenced in that thread) is also good, but has a little bit of vibrato even with the setting at minimum (although it sounds more like a tremolo to me).

SWTrex
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

You might check out Vibsym from Acousticsamples- detailed, multisampled vibraphone for Kontakt and EXS24, SFZ is supposedly coming soon. €34 (about $50US). Definitely no vibrato. I don't know if you're looking for a super realistic vibraphone sound, but if you are this is it.

http://www.acousticsamples.net/home.html

Image-Line Ogun specializes in metallic timbres such as bells and gongs -- maybe you could tweak up something with that?
5 twelve

Try glockenspiel or celeste. They might be close but won't have exactly the sound of the vibraphone's aluminum bars.

IIRC the vibrato on a vibraphone is a motorized effect that can be switched off, so maybe there are switched-off vibe samples around.

Would a vibraphone without vibrato just be a phone? :D

foosnark wrote:Would a vibraphone without vibrato just be a phone? :D
... or when my cell is on vibrate, is it a vibraphone? :D :D
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

Jokes aside the vibraphone in Miroslav Philharmonic CE has no vibrato at all.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

SWTrex wrote: (although it sounds more like a tremolo to me).

SWTrex
You are correct. The vibraphone does not actually have vibrato (despite the name), but tremelo.

I guess due to the name vibraphone the word vibrato came to me first, but technically it isn't really vibrato, it is tremelo.

Thank you to all for your suggestions, I will check them out.

dysfunctionz wrote:You might check out Vibsym from Acousticsamples- detailed, multisampled vibraphone for Kontakt and EXS24, SFZ is supposedly coming soon. €34 (about $50US). Definitely no vibrato. I don't know if you're looking for a super realistic vibraphone sound, but if you are this is it.

http://www.acousticsamples.net/home.html
They have two vibe samples there, the one called Viby is free, and the one called Vibysym (something like that), costs that 34 euros. Is the pay one much better than the free one? Does the free one also have no built-in tremelo?

I'm downloading the free one right now. (In case the designer of their web site is reading, I should mention, that I was unable to initiate the download of the free viby in Firefox. Clicking the download arrow did nothing. (Could have something to do with their popup blocker, or Adblock extension.)I had to switch to IE, to be able to download it. (It opens a tab to Megaupload, that has the file.

(Well, actually, now IE crashed, in trying to download Viby from Megaupload. I'll have to try again. I'd suggest a different, simpler way to set up your files for downloading.)

You could try the free sample based VibraphoneTS VSTi it has a vibrato control so you could just turn it off. Plus it sounds damn good. Probably better than most Vibraphone sf2s. 8)

The sfz version of the vibysm is out!

VibysM

dysfunctionz wrote:You might check out Vibsym from Acousticsamples... Definitely no vibrato...
I've just looked at their site, which is advertising VibsyM V2. There are three demos on the page. The vibe sound in the "Classical" demo sounds like there is, indeed, no tremolo -- ie. motor off. You can hear this at the end of the demo. But their "Vibsym2" demo clearly has the motor on; you can hear this in the long chords about 80% of the way through.

So one could get the idea that it's controllable. But if you go to the "Screenshots" and choose "Interface", you see a Kontakt instrument whose only controls are Tune, pedalnoise, and release.

Anyone know how these two different effects were produced from one instrument?

If the basic instrument has motor off, and the wah-wah effect was achieved by some real-time modulation, then I'm happy.

Thanks.

here to mention my own vst :lol:

phybes demo has a couple of voices of poly, sound engine is a banded waveguide.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:here to mention my own vst :lol:

phybes demo has a couple of voices of poly, sound engine is a banded waveguide.
xoxos beat me to it. +1 for phybes!

Return to “Instruments”