Noah Cohn - Torrential Flow (house/metal)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey there,
i have just finished my first project on my new PC - it was a big step from my old athlon xp 3200+ all the way to a Q9650.. :-) i am able to do more things as this song reflects..

http://www.noahcohn.com/NoahCohn-TorrentialFlow.mp3

all comments and criticisms are welcome.. :) enjoy, and thanks for listening! :D

Congrats on the new PC - always nice to get soem new gear and unleash the power.

This is really a tune of two halves. IMHO I am not sure about the first half, the high melodies don't relly work for me and some of the drum samples especially the claps don't really work.

Whatever you did at the end however is really cool - the bit that you bring in after around 5mins is very cool - maybe develop that riff a bit more? I probably only think this because my personal music bias is towards electronic stuff.

Hey, I'm enjoying this a lot! Loads of interesting changes of direction. There's a lovely little melody I think only comes in very briefly immediately after the guitars finish, which you could definitely bring in more if you felt like it. Not reeeeeally sure about the guitars I have to say. A bit Guitar Hero. Would prefer something noisier and crazier, but just a taste thing probably.

ok.. i'm glad you enjoyed it!!
i am very new at recording fake guitar parts - i'm not sure how to arrange riffs to feel natural though i have played guitar for many years... also i am totally a beginner when it comes to setting up my rack in Amplitube 2... i take one of their presets and tweak it for the flavor i want..
i wish it had turned out a bit crazier - i was listening to Ministry and trying to capture their energy, but my sounds are weak in comparison.. especially the drums..
that song uses three RealStrats each with AT2.. my old pc couldn't do that..

i made the little cello part as an afterthought just to bridge from the metal to the synthy part.. i am pretty sure my next song will have lots of that.. i will post that here when its done - i want to have a floaty, almost ambient pad thing going and to meld it with real instrumental parts... cello, piano, bass..

Derj - i know what you're talking about - at the end i used Rebirth's PCF on the bass 303 - set to pattern 18 it makes most anything into that bass loop.. i loved it in a Rebirth tune called Teflon Faders.. its so fluid and alien sounding.. because you mentioned it, i will be sure to use it more and bring out its vibe... :)

Agree with the above comment about the guitar, not really my thing but there's so many other good ideas in here that I would work on. I really like the intro part personally, nice.

Maybe it's just 'cos since the mid 80's I really liked the more repetitive jacking acid house, but my own feeling is I prefer to see one idea worked a but harder in a tune rather than lots of different ideas/changes. Makes for more of a flow. But again, that's just my taste/opinion, I think you could get at least 3 tracks out of this!

Return to “Music Cafe”