Prefab Sprout.

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's official, Paddy McAloon is my new musical hero[ well, after Brian Wilson, that is] - boughta Prefab Sprout collection last week and I can't get it out of my CD player, that's how lovely it is. Anybody else here likes them?

btw i named my september competition entry 'Paddy McAloon' too and i think it's a bit sprout-ish too. :D :D :D :)

Steve McQueen is a fantastic album 8)

Yeah, highly underrated in my opinion. Martin (Paddy's Bro) is now a lecturer up in Newcastle where I studied. He played us some stuff that he wanted to be on the last album, all of it quite experimental. I think the years have taken their toll though - he's rather insane!
TAFKAPsy_music

Dave Spiers wrote:Steve McQueen is a fantastic album 8)
Amen brother, one of my all time faves, as is Swoon. Shame about Paddy, virtually blind these days, two detached retinas. I haven't heard all of his latest orchestral offering but what I did I wasn't blown away by.

Cheers

Tim

One of my absolute favourite bands of all time!

If you get the chance, check out the criminally underrated "Andromeda Heights" album. It was the long-awaited follow-up to what many critics believed to be their masterpiece ("Jordan:The Comeback"), so it got unfavorable reviews simply because of what came before it.

Don't listen to the reviews. This album is a beauty from start to finish. The orchestral arrangements alone make it a real gem...I've never heard synthetic orchestral strings sound as real/warm/rich as on that album. 8)

AK toppa
AK's toon-age: http://my_poems.hihome.com

Greedy Soul wrote:
Dave Spiers wrote:Steve McQueen is a fantastic album 8)
Amen brother, one of my all time faves, as is Swoon. Shame about Paddy, virtually blind these days, two detached retinas. I haven't heard all of his latest orchestral offering but what I did I wasn't blown away by.

Cheers

Tim
'ere I've just seen you on the Buzzcocks :o :shock:

I bet the green room conversation was interesting with that friend of Karl's :hihi: :lol: :lol:

Back OT Shame about Paddy. I used to bump into Mr Conti in town regularly - he had some funny stories.

The line "...when love breaks down you join the wrecks who leave their hearts for easy sex" is, in my opinion, one of the most poignant lyrics ever written.
Listening to that song never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
I saw Never Mind The Buzzcocks too! Tim/Greedy Soul/Republica how could you!!!

For me personally, "Jordan:The Comeback" is one of the best albums ever made...a work of pure genius. Thomas Dolby did a fantastic job on the production too. 8)

Probably my no. 1 desert island disc. I think "Steve McQueen" is another classic too (again produced by TD).

Cheers
Haz

Yeah...I completely love those records too! :D

Some of the best JP-8 and fairlight work you'll ever hear.....and those chord progressions....yow!

spectrum

Dom wrote: Listening to that song never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
I saw Never Mind The Buzzcocks too! Tim/Greedy Soul/Republica how could you!!!
I hardly ever play basketball these days!

It was a good excuse to catch up with Huey. I remembered why you should never 'have a blaze' with the Criminals all over again.

Cheers

Tim

Hehe, just finsished reading a top funny book called 'midnight in the garden of Evil Keneivl' about sport on british television (I recommend it totally)

Anyway, got to the last page, and it says, thanks to Paddy McAloon for the title. :D You can't knock a man who can write top tunes and come up with a title like that!

I don't have their albums no more, but used to love those

"...beneath the soft and peachy skin, where DNA or God begin..."
from "Dublin" on Protest Songs, another great line from paddy, much loved also here in Hamburg, Germany... wasn't there this other guy from Newcastle as well, who also wrote good lyrics, what was his name, Sting or something...? Must be the air up there! BTW does anyone know the band divine comedy? probably from newcastle as well, who knows, but in my opinion their songs are remarkably well!
Greetings, Frank

Newcastle ... wasn't there some kind of occult disaster there that John Constantine either investigated or participated in? :lol:

Anyways, cool thread -- in the mood to get some albums and I only have the one that "Love Breaks Down" is on

Franky wrote:"BTW does anyone know the band divine comedy? probably from newcastle as well, who knows, but in my opinion their songs are remarkably well!
Greetings, Frank
Divine Comedy were from Northern Ireland, some great songs. Protest Songs never got a proper release in the UK as far as I remember, I've only got it as a bootleg.

Tim

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”