All-Bass Instrumental by Jeremy_NSL (using Record)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Its been a LONG time since I posted something here. Well, here we go!

This is a track that some of you may have already heard over at the old Record beta forum.

Its called Crown Jewel and every single track is performed by myself on my Ibanez bass and captured with Record. Chords, leads, everything. There is also a RDK drum track and a single drumloop.

http://www.nucleus-soundlab.com/Crown%2 ... mplete.mp3

Anyway, I spent a few hours today finishing the mix and mastering it and I'd love to hear any thoughts you'd have on it.

I'm a bass player myself and.... ok, I confess: I'm jealous. Great track - sure, you're not exactly the new Victor Wooten, but still it's a very enjoyable and well played piece of music. Two questions if you don't mind: which Ibanez is that, and do you use I preamp?

nice jeremy, unusual in that its all bass guitar, made me think of neds atomic dustbin as some of the melody lines were quite reminiscent in sounds and tone (early 90's english indie band with two bass players if you've nevr heard of them)

cheers,

steve.

No, probably not the 'new Victor Wooten' :) Yeah I'd agree with that.

I plugged my bass into the absolute cheapest behringer mixer - does that qualify as a preamp? And then into my RME soundcard. Its actually not that bad a signal, a little bit noisy but mostly for bass that's ok if you EQ carefully.

My bass is a Ibanez 4-string SDGR. I don't think it has a model number. Its at least 10-years old, but damn its still beautiful and sounds wonderful:
http://www.nucleus-soundlab.com/bass.jpg

Thanks for listening! :D
FeldFunker wrote:I'm a bass player myself and.... ok, I confess: I'm jealous. Great track - sure, you're not exactly the new Victor Wooten, but still it's a very enjoyable and well played piece of music. Two questions if you don't mind: which Ibanez is that, and do you use I preamp?

Very nice ! I really enjoyed it
many variations and playing/style changes

Cheers

Hey Steve,

Thanks for listening. I've never heard of atomic dustbin - sounds like a pretty cool band, I'll google them :)
blaster78 wrote:nice jeremy, unusual in that its all bass guitar, made me think of neds atomic dustbin as some of the melody lines were quite reminiscent in sounds and tone (early 90's english indie band with two bass players if you've nevr heard of them)

cheers,

steve.

Thanks for the listen Laguna :)
Laguna Rising wrote:Very nice ! I really enjoyed it
many variations and playing/style changes

Cheers

I worked a bit more on this today.

-No verb on drums.
-Louder drums - cymbals in particular.
-fixed a few messy drumfills and a sloppy harmony.

I put it up on soundcloud, just to give that a try:
http://soundcloud.com/jeremynsl/crown-jewel

blaster78 wrote:neds atomic dustbin
Duuude! Now there's a band name I have'nt heard in loooong time!!! :o

Totally forgot about those guyz. I *think* they were pretty good alt/rock(?)
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

VSTJuNkiE wrote:
blaster78 wrote:neds atomic dustbin
Duuude! Now there's a band name I have'nt heard in loooong time!!! :o

Totally forgot about those guyz. I *think* they were pretty good alt/rock(?)
they were awful really :wink: but i loved them at the time

them and the stuffies and pwei, brums finest :D

brave though, 2 bass players and very little talent, they were f**king loud though :hihi: and classics like kill your television, happy and grey cell green still make it on the my ipod every once in a while.

just a reminder link sorry jeremy :wink:

steve.

Ok, now how should I take a comparison to this band with 'very little talent' ;)

I checked out the video and I hear what you mean though, they use the 2nd bass in a somewhat melodic way as I do. Its alot more pop/punk than my track though.
blaster78 wrote: they were awful really :wink: but i loved them at the time

them and the stuffies and pwei, brums finest :D

brave though, 2 bass players and very little talent, they were f**king loud though :hihi: and classics like kill your television, happy and grey cell green still make it on the my ipod every once in a while.

just a reminder link sorry jeremy :wink:

steve.

Jeremy_NSL wrote:Ok, now how should I take a comparison to this band with 'very little talent' ;)

bugger.... that came across all wrong :P my point was that the whole early 90's brum indie thing was less to do with musical finesse than tone and sound. bear in mind that i must have seen ned's 10+ times at festivals in my time so talent or no talent, i certainly enjoyed it :wink:

it is indeed a lot more punky than your tune but the 2nd bass melody and strummed chords just kindled some nostalgia.

steve.

Nicely done, Jeremy. :cool:
Jeremy_NSL wrote:My bass is a Ibanez 4-string SDGR. I don't think it has a model number. Its at least 10-years old, but damn its still beautiful and sounds wonderful:
http://www.nucleus-soundlab.com/bass.jpg
Ibanez Soundgear model numbers are usually on the back of the headstock: SRXXX

Hey ugo,

Thanks for checking it out :)

Good call on the model number. Its a SR400. I've owned about 8 different basses over the years but they are all gone except this one. Its truly shocking how nice this bass is for the price (I paid maybe $700 for it 15 years ago!)

The Soundgears have always been a pretty good value. My first 5 string was an SR885 that I got in the early 90's, and it was a quite a comfortable and fun bass.

Return to “Music Cafe”