OSC 10 - Acidrack - Vote Now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok guys, the time has come to cast your votes for the best Acidrack only track!

See thread... http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Despite the gremlins and cpu casualties, we have 11 submissions.

We will once again go for a multi-vote system.

You can award points to 3 tracks in allocations of 5, 3, and 1.
So that's 5 points to your favourite, 3 points to second fave, and 1 for third.
When you have decided on your votes, post in this thread. Please submit all your votes in a single post in a clear manner.....
...something like,

Track title - 5
Track title - 3
Track title - 1

Please listen to all the tracks before casting a vote ... I know it takes a while, but its the only fair way to do things ...

So here's how!
@@Go to the online folder .... http://onesynthcomp.4shared.com/

Here you can listen to individual tracks, and read accompanying notes re. what what was used in their making. You can download individual tracks as you wish.

Alternatively, from the same link/folder, you can also download the zipped folder '00 - Acidrack Tracks'
This will be a lot quicker than downloading individual tracks, You will then have all the tracks in one place to listen to at your leisure!

You can also access either of 2 playlist pages .... here,
http://www.4shared.com/play/13038764/ab ... hComp.html

...or, courtesy of BrainOvulation ( Thanks B.O. ) .... here...
http://www.ilfungomagico.it/acidrack.html

Reviews, however brief, are always welcome, but even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive, and encourages others to listen/vote. I will do a review when I can grab a bit of time to do the job justice.

******Tattiemannies ( stuck record ) guide to voting******

A broad approach I would recommend would be to disregard genre and to some extent, production quality. Its more about how the artist an the chosen synth have produced the range and quality of sounds necessary for the track.
so .... we dont go asking "why no brass?" in a folk tune, anymore than we ask "why no soft pad?" in a punk track....... The idea from the outset is to create a track using only one synth..... and the proof of the pudding is about how that challenge has been met, so it's not about the merits of the synth, nor the merits of the track, it's about how the artist has shown that the limitation of using only one synth, does not necesarily limit their ability to produce a quality track, in a style of their choosing.

So I suppose what we're looking for as a yardstick is the "wow! you did that whole track with one synth and hardly any effects????????" factor ...
.... but thats my take on things .... feel free to apply your own criteria when casting your vote.

**Closing date for votes will be the 7th December**
....Enjoy the music!------------

Note .... I will tally the votes and post updates as the votes come in.----

The results from Norfolk are in after consultation with the local village idiot.

Oh, a hard choice here. A clear winner in my book but many good tracks in the mix to consider.

First - Slowly Going Nowhere, Yeager - Lovely mid-80's synth theme here with a modern take. Continues Yeager's great work with chord and melody progression. Great patches and production as ever. Is it me or is this a variant of Propaganda's end theme on Dr Mabuse (1985)? I think it's only on the European almbum version though in the UK... try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gMnHhqPKEo for a poo quality version at 7 minutes in. Regardless, fine work your Yeagerness 8)

Second - AcidTrip, Totlitoto - a real grower this. Building in menace and power. Really showing off the synths potential here.

Third - Acidrocks, Tattie - In his usual bouncing off the walls style, Tattie puts out another complex track full of influences. Believe it or not, I heard a bit of Ultravox in this which kind of caught my ear :lol:

Many others could be mentioned but I'll spare the blushes and the lack of inclusion - this was about the solidest set of entries I've yet seen all round so thanks to all for another entertaining round of the legendary OSC 8)

Best of luck,
Mouxbar

I know you guys have a lot more experience on describing what you hear, but yeah... here's my little word about each song ;)

AcidRocks - tattiemannie
Absolutelly joyfull chords. I love that portamento stuff at 0:50-1:05. Rythm is a strong part of this song.

AcidTrip - Totolitoto
Somewhat hollow at beginning, but this creates earie atmosphere. Strings and drones are my fave instruments in this song, especially at the end when all the voices come together.

AmbiYense - WrigglerUk
Is a rich set of different sounds. At first go it did not sounded for me as a whole song. Listening on headphones makes it more interesting because of panning effects.

Bad-Bad-Acidrack - mrblitz000
Chiptunes :) I love that stuff, detuned raw waves, portamento on arpegios. I see great improvisations also I like siren at 2:20 a lot, it was quite unexpected to hear it there...

Cheese Rack - Mouxbar
Simple structure, melody might be a good base for a radio hit.

eatacidbefresh - jonboyd
Strong beat, good use of resonant filters make this very acid, also I really like the effect of gating. Even if it's not in my style I'm sure that a lot of people in clubs would like it a lot.

Good-Acidrack - mrblitz000
Calmer then Bad-Bad and won't steal my heart after Bad-Bad ;)

Last Transmission from the Astrayed Star - tribe - Xenobioz
I didn't like strong panning of pads at the beginning of the song, but after a few listens I got used to them. Whole song is well built and the whole reminds me of 80's. I like custom patches for instruments especially flute or ocarina, as well as pack of drums. They sound amazingly natural! That sad whistling theme starting at 2:50 reminded me of song 'The Japanese Alphabet Road With Chinese Bellflower's Sweet Smell' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCk6XTRfMTE

Slowly Going Nowhere - OSCX(2) - Yeager
Very unified production on really high level, though I'd add a few accents here and there or cut a couple of repetitions to make it more interesting ;)

Sync or Swim - OSCX - Yeager
I liked composition and instrumentalisation from beginning. Patches of electric piano, strings and that solo instrument appearing at the end sound very pleasing to my ears. I like what's happening between 1:25-1:30 and again 2:10-2:20

-----
And my votes go to:

5 - Sync or Swim - OSCX - Yeager
3 - Last Transmission from the Astrayed Star - tribe - Xenobioz
1 - Bad-Bad-Acidrack - mrblitz000

Cheers!

I had no chance to join OSC 10-Acidrack, but I like them listening all (meanwhile da hard task to chosing some). Here is the printout that my cold, ugly assessment system gives me :

5 - AcidTrip... Totolitoto..
3 - Bad-Bad-Acidrack... mrblitz000...
1 - AcidRocks... tattiemannie...

... ... ....

:shrug:

Thanks all !

Great stuff guys, nice to get off to a quick start, cheers for the votes! :tu:

I think I'm gonna take my time to cast a vote though, the quality and variety of stuff here is at least as high as any other comp, and as with all the best comps, the character of the synth comes across in every track. :)
I've listened twice now, and could have given two completely different sets of points ... so I'm gonna enjoy this collection a little while longer before judging. :)

Right now though, I'll do a count and post the results.

Here's the story ..... :)

1 AcidTrip - Totolitoto ... 5, 3 = 8
2= Sync or Swim - Yeager ... 5
2= Slowly Going Nowhere - Yeager ... 5
4 Bad-Bad-Acidrack - mrblitz000 ... 3, 1 = 4
5 Last Transmission from the Astrayed Star - Xenobioz ... 3
6 AcidRocks - tattiemannie ... 1, 1 = 2
7= AmbiYense - WrigglerUk
7= Cheese Rack - Mouxbar
7= eatacidbefresh - jonboyd
7= Good-Acidrack---mrblitz000
7= Winter pling - dwsel

( Total voters: 3, Total points: 27 )

AmbiYense

Sync or Swim

AcidTrip

This is another one of those sort of, 'throw all the names into a hat and pick 3' votes. Great work, everyone!

Sync or Swim - Yeager 5
Acidrocks - Tattiemannie 3
Acid trip - totolito 1

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very difficult as always... all good tracks, I'm trying to narrow it down to just three, but for now I still have six in my list :?

Cheers for the votes guys, keep 'em coming! :)

So with 6 sets of votes, heres he we stand.

1 (2=) Sync or Swim - Yeager ... 5, 3, 5 = 13
2= (1) AcidTrip - Totolitoto ... 5, 3, 1, 1 = 10
2= (2=) Slowly Going Nowhere - Yeager ... 5, 5 = 10
4 (7=) AmbiYense - WrigglerUk ... 5, 1 = 6
5 (6) AcidRocks - tattiemannie ... 1, 1, 3 = 5
6 (4) Bad-Bad-Acidrack - mrblitz000 ... 3, 1 = 4
7= (5) Last Transmission from the Astrayed Star - Xenobioz ... 3
7= (7=) eatacidbefresh - jonboyd ... 3
9= (7=) Cheese Rack - Mouxbar
9= (7=) Good-Acidrack - mrblitz000
9= (7=) Winter pling - dwsel

( Total voters: 6, Total points: 54 )

Already, we have a tussle for the top, but its early days yet.
'Sync or Swim' takes top spot with an 8 point increase whilst Yeagers other track 'Slowly Going Nowhere' draws level with previous leader 'Acidtrip'
Highest climber, with second highest points increase is 'AmbiYense' ... moving up to 4th from equal 7th and Zero points.
'AcidRocks' sneaks up a place to 5th at the expense of 'Bad-Bad-Acidrack' and 'Last Transmission' while 'eatacidbefresh' maintains equal 7th despite gaining 3 points.
Last edited by tattiemannie on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tattiemannie wrote: Already, we have a tussle for the top, but its early days yet.
'Sync or Swim' takes top spot with an 8 point increase whilst Yeagers other track 'Slowly Going Nowhere' draws level with previous leader 'Acidtrip'
Highest climber, with second highest points increase is 'AmbiYense' ... moving up to 4th from equal 7th and Zero points.
'AcidRocks' sneaks up a place to 5th at the expense of 'Bad-Bad-Acidrack' and 'Last Transmission' while 'eatacidbefresh' maintains equal 7th despite gaining 3 points.
Damn I'm no leader anymore!
It's turning to horse race here :hihi:

Just listened to all the tracks straight through. There isn't a weak effort there, they are all great listening ( except that AmbiYence rubbish... :-) )
These were the standouts for me:
WInter Pling - dwsel
Nearly fell off my chair laughing when the 'christmassy' tune kicked in.
I'd never have thought of doing this with Acidrack.

Sync or swim - yeager
Polished & powerful. Excellent percussion. Superb composition. Lovely flutey fadeout. Winner.

Last Transmission - Xenobioz
Georgeous pads and atmosphere. Again good drums - how do people DO that...? Variation and structure also really cool.

Good Acidrack - MrBlitz000
Neat jangling piano. Somewhat disturbing track!

Eat acid befresh - jonboyd
Another one that motors along and is also a bit unsettling. Lots going on. Bits of it reminded me of ELP around the Pictures at an exhibition period, dont know why.

Acid Trip Totolitoto
Really does generate a feeling of motion. Great build up of tension.

Acid Rocks - Tattiemannie
Absolutely manic and the different voices all fit together perfectly.

The points... ah, the points... hard deciding, but it ended up like this:

5 - Sync or Swim - Yeager
3 - Acid Rocks - Tattiemannie
1 - Winter Pling - dwsel
Can you play Far Far Away?
Yes - how far would you like?

OK, it was not easy, but here we go:

5 - Acidrocks - Tattiemannie, for the usual reasons

3 - Sync or swim - Yeager, for the usual reasons

1 - Winter pling - dwsel, because it is light hearted and humorous, and both the spirit and the sounds remind me a bit of the pioneering works by Raymond Scott (there are some low frequemcies out of control, though, that almost blew my windows, but the rest is so very nice)

Had I had one more slot, I'd have included the Nintendo-like bad bad acidrack, great one :)

Well, the votes are flying in!! cheers guys! :)
And here's the latest ....

1 (1) Sync or Swim - Yeager ... 5, 3, 5, 5, 3 = 21
2 (5) AcidRocks - tattiemannie ... 1, 1, 3, 3, 5 = 13
3= (2= ) AcidTrip - Totolitoto ... 5, 3, 1, 1 = 10
3= (2=) Slowly Going Nowhere - Yeager ... 5, 5 = 10
5 (4) AmbiYense - WrigglerUk ... 5, 1 = 6
6 (6) Bad-Bad-Acidrack - mrblitz000 ... 3, 1 = 4
7= (7=) Last Transmission from the Astrayed Star - Xenobioz ... 3
7= (7=) eatacidbefresh - jonboyd ... 3
9 (9=) Winter pling - dwsel ... 1, 1 = 2
10= (9=) Cheese Rack - Mouxbar
10= (9=) Good-Acidrack---mrblitz000

( Total voters: 8, Total points: 72 )

'Sync or Swim' retains the top spot with an 8 point haul, and moves a massive 8 points clear.
'Acidrocks' is the biggest climber, also gaining 8 points and moving into second place at the expense of 'AcidTrip', 'Slowly Going Nowhere' and 'AmbiYense'
'Winter Pling' takes its first points moving clear of the late starters.
.... still a long way to go though :)

Return to “Instruments”