WTF is this? Nu-Age? Nu-Fusion?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a work in progress.

If you have thoughts regarding the structure, mix, level, eq, drums, it sucks, it's cool, etc, etc I would love to hear them! Please don't be shy-I can handle it!

In case anyone's interested, on this track I'm using Live 8 (can't live without it), drums-Guru, Bass-Sylenth1, pads-on of the Komplete synths? & Sylenth1...

I use the Roloand GR-20 as a midi controller.

Fender Strat with Line 6 pod x3 & Pod Farm-absolutely fabulous. And a nylon string guitar.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Lost in Thought:

http://www.opendrive.com/files/5939150_ ... hought.mp3
Last edited by any1particular on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very cool! I'm a fan man! I love all of the various textures ranging from a cool jazz vibe to techno influenced feels. The real guitar certainly makes it. I don't know what plug ins you use but I'll hazard a guess and say Native Instruments, the best out there imho. Regardless, a really nicely conceived and produced piece of work. 5 out of 5 stars if this is a star system..hahaha! I wish you the very best in the coming year with your projects and may they continue to grow and re - invent themselves. Peace and Respect!

denekawa
If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment!

The first minute or more sounds like 1977 and George Benson sneaks in and takes over Jeff Becks recording session, Jan Hammer stays in the studio while Jeff is out back for a smoke.
I love it!

How about nu-jazz or possibly nu-smooth jazz? And I mean this in a good way, as in a shot to the arm to a highly listened genre. Lots of sonic variety (I loved the FM lead at around 4 min - instant teleport to 1985).

I like it, love the trippy pads, sound efx, etc. Good textures, but not overused. Gitar riffs are nice add too. Reminds me a little of Thievery Corp meets Cantoma, w/a pinch of Nightmares on Wax. Very cool tho!

That is awesome,very unique intro, I'd call it MUSIC! All the guitar parts sound gorgeous, especially the nylon string.

Very Cool Track :)

Too long for a detailed review but really enjoyed it :D :D

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

denekawa wrote:Very cool! I'm a fan man! I love all of the various textures ranging from a cool jazz vibe to techno influenced feels. The real guitar certainly makes it. I don't know what plug ins you use but I'll hazard a guess and say Native Instruments, the best out there imho. Regardless, a really nicely conceived and produced piece of work. 5 out of 5 stars if this is a star system..hahaha! I wish you the very best in the coming year with your projects and may they continue to grow and re - invent themselves. Peace and Respect!

denekawa
Hey denekawa!

'Tis very cool of you to take the time to post-and an enthusiastic one at that! Your inspired comments give me the fuel to come up with more ideas-means allot to me-thank you! I hope you have a propserous new year!
randombastage wrote:The first minute or more sounds like 1977 and George Benson sneaks in and takes over Jeff Becks recording session, Jan Hammer stays in the studio while Jeff is out back for a smoke.
I love it!
Hello randombastage.

Hilarious-'like 1977 and George Benson sneaks in and takes over Jeff Becks recording session, Jan Hammer stays in the studio while Jeff is out back for a smoke.' What a thoughtful compliment.

Yeah know. It must be obvious that I'm an 'older' dude. I am attempting to take my musical life experiences and give them a modern twist with these new technologies.

Thanks for the post dude!

thenumber23 wrote:How about nu-jazz or possibly nu-smooth jazz? And I mean this in a good way, as in a shot to the arm to a highly listened genre. Lots of sonic variety (I loved the FM lead at around 4 min - instant teleport to 1985).
Yo Brian!

Yeah! I totttttalllly agree that the Smooth Jazz genre needs a major shot in the arm-it's soooooo vanilla. But the basic idea of watering jazz down and fusing it with techy style is appealing.

Thanks for the EAR!

uberdansounds wrote:I like it, love the trippy pads, sound efx, etc. Good textures, but not overused. Gitar riffs are nice add too. Reminds me a little of Thievery Corp meets Cantoma, w/a pinch of Nightmares on Wax. Very cool tho!
Hey uberdansounds!

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. 'Reminds me a little of Thievery Corp meets Cantoma, w/a pinch of Nightmares on Wax'. I'm a fan of all the above too!

(What a cool idea: It occurred to me to write some music to Alex Collier's informative speech. He has a very interesting story and one that everyone should open their mind to.)

AetherCoyl wrote:That is awesome,very unique intro, I'd call it MUSIC! All the guitar parts sound gorgeous, especially the nylon string.

What a nice compliment AetherCoy1!!!! Thank you!!!

(Nice atmospherics! http://soundcloud.com/xulid)

Lotuzia wrote:Very Cool Track :)

Too long for a detailed review but really enjoyed it :D :D

LtZ

And thank you Laurent.

I appreciate your support very much-a real compliment coming from you!

I also really enjoy the way you seem to effortlessly move around various styles. The nylon string guitar sounds great, love that warm sound. I'm listening on simple earbuds, the mix sounds fine to me :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

nice track once again :D

I'm not too fond of the drum sounds, but that's a matter of taste :)
& I think that a more advanced chord progression with key changes would
compliment your guitar playing better ...

keep it up !

Nice track.

I think that can stand as a Nu-Jazz/ Fusion as a style.
Some of the drive guitars sound a bit too "crunchy" to me but I guess it's a matter of taste.
Also a real drum with a more complex approach would fit there (to my taste).

Congrats !!! really good music.

Pretty impressive build you have there. Much more dense than the previous one I checked out. Somebody is having fun with the gear hehe. Quite a bit packed in and I did feel a few jumps through stylistic tones during the middle part. Not quite enough variation in the backing line unfortunately, sort of bogs down the dynamic I think. Somebody caught a quick case of the play-with-pretty-much-everything-available bug and can't really fault that.

Very tasteful guitar work throughout. I could feel a dialog between some of the synth lines and the staccato riffs that work well. More Strat tone and I'll be damned if you don't have a great handle on how to make it bite. Reminds me a bit of Eric Johnson's bread and butter but with session jazz cat melody lines instead of his signature hexatonic. Below is a pic of a Strat I get to play now and then so know I'm not a hater but by no means traditional lol.

Also, the tones of the synths had me chuckle a little in a good way. A couple seemed to be lifted right out of the Trance or Ambient genres, which makes me smile for the guts to say "Hey I like that and I'm going to use it!" and work to fit the pieces. I felt a little divided on the drums. My thought would be to double one of the lines and put it on a big room kit to fade in and out for some of the dynamic variety (also drop down to maybe just kick n ride) - I mention this because I like the electronic-oriented traditional sound in contrast to guitar melody-oriented composition. Bass didn't do much for me. I got a free Kore 2 through some promotion and it came with a fun-to-experiment-with upright double bass that has velocity sensitive plucking. It's what I'd like to hear for about 2/3s of the piece. For now the tone is too Victor Wooten-y for the role methinks.

Overall I enjoyed the experimental laboratory feel and that got me through a bit of the parts packed a little too dense. With some tweaking and cutting, would be a very fun track to hear Sade on if she felt a vibe. She is back working right? :hihi: Keep it up and hope to have something for you to comment on sometime soon. Until then, I'm going to keep on the job with what I've got too!

"A guitar is like a set of golf clubs - the most important thing is whose hands they're in."

- A friend
Rockstar Guitarist For Hire

Hey...great work man! Excellent strat sound and leads! Similar sound to the Tommy Bolin work on Billy Cobham's - Spectrum. I like it.

Good tune also...works for me.
EDIT: Just had a listen to my example track on my mackies and it's God awful.
I never tried mixing on my new akg k-240 MKII headphones and that's what I did late last night.
I'll try to make it right...damn!

I'll hit you from a mixing angle to give my hopefully useful comments.

Not much talk ... just the mp3 remix I did and the pix of the EQ envelope I created.
Remixing a stereo mp3 is real limited in what I was able to accomplish. I hope it suggests changes where I believe it needs them.

Some harsh cymbal sounds I couldn't effect...stereo-mp3 'ya know.
(I took everything down but the cymbals didn't follow...I think it's the CLAS-NR or they are on mid-side and I didn't EQ for M/S.) sorry 'bout that...ouch.)

I used an EQ and the CLAS-NR which is a little hard to explain...best to go to the site for an explanation of what it did.
The "CLAS-NR" is making that opening-gate sound, try to ignore that.
It's also doing useful things. 8)

Again, made it for show and tell no other purpose.
- in for repair -
http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... .remix.mp3

....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Nice one Chuck! :tu:
However, this isn't my favorite among what I've heard so far from your hands. I too have some problems with the drums sounds and that rather trance-like synth ostinato doesn't fit this much in my book. I'm probably alone in this as the comments show so far.
Your guitar playing is great as always and altogether this track is still heads and shoulders over the majority of tracks posted on KVR (my own included).

Eagerly anticipating your next release :)

Finally have a chance to listen to this.

In most circumstances going from that intro to the guitar riff to the house jam would be abrupt, obvious and nasty (well if it were me ;)). You pulled it off flawlessly!

The only thing that I personally would like more of is some more sub bass on the kicks and bass.

This song is a definite keeper though. Wonderful work!
stay juicy!

Return to “Music Cafe”