What Photosounder could possibly allow to do for the first time ever?

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Removal of reverb from stems or maybe even whole mixes.
2. Ultra smooth reverb, surpassing best dedicated hardware.
3. Surgical EQ without known artifacts.
4. Precise dynamics control and shaping.
5. Super rich and vibrant choruses.
6. Stereo image control and enhancement for mono signals.
7. Quite possibly, eliminate the need for Nebula sampled
outboard hardware. That may sound naively, but I believe it
is achievable with time, once the analyzing algorithms mature,
so it will be impossible to tell by ear what is original
and what was recreated.

Here we go...
"How are we supposed to judge what each converter sounds like without know which is which? I don't want to be unfairly influenced by blind listening."
- Gearhero @ GS

DanielKonopka wrote:1. Removal of reverb from stems or maybe even whole mixes.
2. Ultra smooth reverb, surpassing best dedicated hardware.
3. Surgical EQ without known artifacts.
4. Precise dynamics control and shaping.
5. Super rich and vibrant choruses.
7. Quite possibly, eliminate the need for Nebula sampled
outboard hardware. That may sound naively, but I believe it
is achievable with time, once the analyzing algorithms mature,
so it will be impossible to tell by ear what is original
and what was recreated.

Here we go...
Cool thread idea!

1. How would you do that with something like Photosounder?
2. You mean like this? My favourite example being this one :D
3. Tradiotnal EQs have artifacts? What kind? Although yeah, doing the job of an EQ directly on the spectrogram is much better, I mean, you actually see what you're doing!
4. If you have any ideas how to achieve that I'd be curious to know! So far I've only tried gamma and contrast, not to much avail.
5. You mean something like this?
6. These guys already use it to stereoify mono recordings if that's what you mean.
7. What do you mean by that?

Alright here are my ideas of things that can/could be done for the first time :

8. Vocoding using images as modulators. Basically you paint over an image with the dark spray and harmonics turned on, do a mask invert, and depending on the image you can get weird voice-like effects.
9. One thing you can do is take a song which beat is always overlaid with vocals (let's say, from a verse). You cut each instance of the beat's loop in the image, then you overlay them all on top of each other, aligned, then by doing something like a median between the pixels you'll get a pretty much vocal free version of the loop. That works by only keeping the most common version of a pixel over the different instances of the loop, so with just a few copies you can get a pretty much clean version out.
10. Likewise, you can extract individual instruments by finding identical copies of them in different settings in the sample (i.e. with different neighbouring sounds).
11. You can do a sort of weird vocoding that sounds like pitch shifting. Basically instead of making the voice the modulator and a saw wave be the tone, you do sort of the opposite. To be precise, in lossless mode you paint over the sound with the dark spray and harmonics turned on (see #8 ), then with a very large dark spray (harmonics turned off) you darken a bit the siblants and such (so that you keep them when you do a mask invert), then you do the mask invert. Here's an example of it with two voices http://photosounder.com/misc/oh_squiggly_vocoder1.mp3
12. Removing the harmonics from an instrument/voice to only keep the basic pitch. Possibly to re-add harmonics and make it sound like a different instrument? Idk..
13. Reshaping overtones. Works well with voice, for example you can change what someone says by modulating the harmonics of the voice to change the formants. It can go from subtly changing a word to another (you wouldn't even hear any tell tale signs that it's been tampered with) to making throat singing get really weird.
14. You know how when DJs scratch it makes a funny effect by changing the pitch and speed at the same time? Well, you could conceivably do the same thing except unlinking pitch and speed. Possibly to create a new kind of hip hop DJing? 8)
15. Back to vocoding, there's a lot you can do to the modulator without and bad side effects. For example you can time stretch bits of it to make it fit with a rhythm.
16. Morphing. OK, that's nothing new, but with Photosounder it'd be more flexible, i.e. you wouldn't be limited to just pitch shifting and blending, you could transition between different ratios in the overtones, or even do weird stuff like swapping overtones, for example, harmonic #2 moves to harmonic #3 and #3 to #1 and #1 to #2. Something like that.. Not sure what it'd sound like, I'd have to try.

OK that's all I've got for the moment.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
DanielKonopka wrote:...
Here we go...
Where I'm going at the moment is experimenting with stereo and 5.1 surround using Photosounder to create individual wave files for L/R (or L/R/C/Ls/Rs) from 2 (or 5) unique but very closely related images. If the images are similar enough the audio effect is not of two separate L/R sound sources but rather some sort of spacial indeterminacy.

Most of my images have been generated using the free Chaoscope program http://www.chaoscope.org/ (http://www.chaoscope.org/), making very small changes to its project file parameters for each channel image. To hear the results I'm using Magix Video Pro X because my Samplitude Producer doesn't suppot 5.1 surround. :(

Regards,
Carl

Return to “Photosounder”