Original Emulator II "Liquid Stack" Bank, FREE in Kontakt!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OMI Liquid Stack Bank Captured on OMI Founder's Original EII!!

I spent Friday afternoon capturing the infamous Emulator II Liquid Stack bank - supplied by EII guru JMP on one 5.25" floppy disk! :) I sampled this wonder direct from my beloved EII's mix output. This famous bank consists of 4 superb patches used in countless pop hits from the 80's.

The sound bank was originally distributed in 1986 on OMI's first CDROM release "Universe of Sounds Volume I" for the Emulator II. This was located on OMI disk 1 under the heading "Expensive Synth Strings". This was actually one of the first CDROMs ever made and OMI were instrumental in pioneering mass produced CDROM media. This was back in the days were most computers were nothing like fast enough to even write a CDROM at single speed, let alone at X28 speed!

Very sadly the CDROM drive used with the EII is bespoke and completely non-standard which means when these beasts die thats the end of it!

What was quite creepy about capturing this sample bank is that my Emulator II was originally owned by Allen Adkins, the founder of OMI!!

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/History/Pio ... dkins.html

Although there are plenty of sample packs available of the EII's famous sounds most have been digitally transferred with the EII completely out of the loop. This is such a shame as the EII plays an extremely important part in shaping these sounds and adds a wonderful "colour" to these samples which really needs to be heard to appreciate it. This is in part due to the EII's 4 pole analog SSM filters and it's extremely unusual companded architecture. Furthermore - the EII didn't even have conventional ADCs but rather a discrete successive approximation circuit utilising one of the output channels as a ramp generator!!!

Here is my recreation of this wonderful sample bank in Kontakt:

DOWNLOAD FOR KONTAKT:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/91rpai
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Sat May 01, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Home of Novachord #346...

Big Thanks!

wowsers... they sound nice indeed
thankyou!! :)

Nice! :D

:tu:
Now Somewhat Retired

:love: people who generously share resources like this. Marvelous thank you.

Thanks. I love all these Emulator II patches.

i used the emu II quite a bit during the 80s , i had the '+' model with dual diskdrives and expanded memory , standard eII had 17.5 seconds sampling time
, the '+' model couldnt combine its 2 17.5 banks , the second bank was only for loading presets , i didnt have the sounddesigner on apple IIc and it was a royal pain to edit the eII samples since the keyboards front/edit slider calibration was very coarse , sample start times jump in roughly 35 samples intervals , try editing drums that way ;-)

thanks for the samples by the way , lots of hipitched quantizing noise from the
mixoutput included ;-)
Last edited by paladium on Sat May 01, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you ever so much. This is great sounding stuff. I had forgotten. :D

Thank you very much indeed!!!

:tu:

You know my feelings on these sounds already Dan ;)

Thank you very much for these. Can I just ask though, what differences are there between #2 & #4? On first listen, they sound identical. Although it is early on a Sunday for me ;)

Thanks again :)

WOW !!!
Those sound really FANTASTIC !!!
Big thanks for those. :tu:

Thank you so much for sharing, finally had a play with these this morning. Love the pad. The depth and feel are inspirational and fun ;)

Failed muso,i think there's something different in the attack and sustain sound, subtle tho

Thanks again for these very nice samples! :)

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”