What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

EMS VCS 3 tune (thank you, Expert Sleepers!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Scot Solida
KVRAF

2043 posts since 20 Mar, 2002, from Hutchinson, Kansas

Postby Scot Solida; Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:48 am EMS VCS 3 tune (thank you, Expert Sleepers!)

Silent Way is a freakin' miracle. Thanks to Expert Sleepers, even something as cantankerous as my old EMS VCS3 can be called into duty for something more than simulating cosmic flatulence:

http://www.theelectronicgarden.com/Scot/VCS3.mp3

Eight tracks of nuthin' but VCS3 (and a delay), recorded in Logic, using the Silent Way Voice Controller plug-in to keep the old feller in tune. Sure, there are some cosmic flatulence patches, but they give way to Berlin-school sequencery and an utterly masturbatory lead (forgive the indulgence. It's not every day that I can play the thing in perfect tune for this long without the oscillators getting into an argument with one another!)

It's an improv exercise, but if you like old Mark Shreeve or Wavestar, you might find it entertaining. I am just blown away by the fact that Silent Way can tame the old thing.
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com
experimental.crow
KVRAF

4793 posts since 9 Mar, 2003

Postby experimental.crow; Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:17 am

Scot Solida wrote:Silent Way is a freakin' miracle. Thanks to Expert Sleepers, even something as cantankerous as my old EMS VCS3 can be called into duty for something more than simulating cosmic flatulence:

http://www.theelectronicgarden.com/Scot/VCS3.mp3

Eight tracks of nuthin' but VCS3 (and a delay), recorded in Logic, using the Silent Way Voice Controller plug-in to keep the old feller in tune. Sure, there are some cosmic flatulence patches, but they give way to Berlin-school sequencery and an utterly masturbatory lead (forgive the indulgence. It's not every day that I can play the thing in perfect tune for this long without the oscillators getting into an argument with one another!)

It's an improv exercise, but if you like old Mark Shreeve or Wavestar, you might find it entertaining. I am just blown away by the fact that Silent Way can tame the old thing.

good to see you , scott ...
how's the hand coming along ?...

i am an expert sleepers fan , as well , albeit for different software ...
i regularly use 'meringue' , and 'augustus loop' ...

enjoyed the track ...
i can appreciate the new found control that 'silent way' can bring to your arsenal ...
new found joy as well , one would think ...

take care ...
Scot Solida
KVRAF

Postby Scot Solida; Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 am

normal wrote:good to see you , scott ...
how's the hand coming along ?...

i am an expert sleepers fan , as well , albeit for different software ...
i regularly use 'meringue' , and 'augustus loop' ...

enjoyed the track ...
i can appreciate the new found control that 'silent way' can bring to your arsenal ...
new found joy as well , one would think ...

take care ...

Thanks normal! The hand is... okay. It's never going to be what it was, but it gets the job done. I'm drawing and painting a bit nowadays and struggling with the keyboard (obviously), but I can't complain! I am happy to be able to do as much as I can with it!

Yeah, Silent Way certainly brings me a lot of newfound inspiration. I was always able to knock two of the VCS3's oscillators into tune and scale them over a limited range, but it took some time and effort and they didn't stay that way for long. It's enough of a hassle that it (like most VCS3s) gets relegated to sound effects duties. No longer, though. With Silent way, it's just a matter of hitting "calibrate" when a VCO goes out of whack and that straightens it up instantly. Best $49 I've spent in years.
Laguna Rising
KVRAF

6187 posts since 4 Apr, 2005, from Unsettled

Postby Laguna Rising; Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Very nice ! you put Silent Way to a good use...
I like the experimental spirit that comes through, very creative style

Cheers
fateamenabletochange
KVRAF

3117 posts since 13 Jul, 2003, from outer rim

Postby fateamenabletochange; Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:35 pm

that is really cool, band in a box, great variety of sounds
Scot Solida
KVRAF

Postby Scot Solida; Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks guys. The VCS3 is such an unusual machine... it is capable of a wide variety of sounds but is so fundamentally different from other synths that it takes some work to get conventional synth sounds from it. The main difference is the envelope generator... a bizarre design that bears little resemblance to the familiar ADSR envelopes we all know so well. It takes a bit of head scratching and trial-and-error at first and many sorts of sounds must be approached from a different angle than the same sort of sound on, say, a Minimoog or an Odyssey. The VCS3 was never intended for traditional chromatic music (it was initially sold without a keyboard, something that was only later added as an optional purchase), so forcing it into duty as a more traditional synth can be an adventure. That's probably why I like the damned thing so much - after thirty years of playing with synths, this one can still keep me guessing.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe