Jazz/Rock flute sample library--requests?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a recording session in December for an Orange Tree Samples Jazz/Rock flute sample library. The scripting is going to be amazing, I have a lot of ideas, and the library is going to sound so great!

I'm still writing out the parts, but I'm definitely sampling things like fluttertonguing, growls, and hopefully some multiphonics/phrases. All those effects will be in addition to several velocity layers of sustains, staccatissimos ("staccatissimi" for purists), rips, falls, and possibly half/whole grace notes.

Do you have any requests? If I have extra time in the session, I want to make sure to record as much as possible.
Last edited by Gregjazz on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

my only request is for you to see it thru!
WAHOO
:D
cant wait to get paid so I can get me some Mesa...
:wink:
:This is that soulful, way out sound:
Kaleidoscope Jukebox:::::Soundcloud:::::Downloads

Oh, I forgot to mention overblown notes. Those add a really nice touch when put on a high velocity layer. Of course, rips (quickly atonally leading up to the note) could be cool on the high velocity layer, too. Maybe I need to include a simple way to adjust how you want to select the articulations--via velocity layer, keyswitch, controller, etc.

Maybe a Mind Control sort of interface, but without the "layers". So you'd just select the articulation, and then the parameters needed to trigger it. But of course, a bunch of ready-to-go preset mappings up front.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

An occasional "quick taken breath" sample after an appropriate amount of notes would be cool. Expression via breath controller would be great also. -Perry-

Jethro Tull? :D

NO! Not another one. Now i know i am going crazy. Tis one is definately on my to get list along with acoustic guitar. Wow. Guess i will have to pass up on MesaWinds for now though :)

Maybe a set of accessory grunts and whoops to be layered during staccato flute bursts for a bit of that Ian Anderson mojo?

My first thought for a creative addition would to have a patch that included humming by the flutist... . Random I know, but a family friend who played jazz flute and went by the name "The Ghost" used the technique well. I guess this goes along with the grunts comment posted earlier.

Gregjazz wrote:I have a recording session in December for an Orange Tree Samples Jazz/Rock flute sample library. The scripting is going to be amazing, I have a lot of ideas, and the library is going to sound so great!

I'm still writing out the parts, but I'm definitely sampling things like fluttertonguing, growls, and hopefully some multiphonics/phrases. All those effects will be in addition to several velocity layers of sustains, staccatissimos ("staccatissimi" for purists), rips, falls, and possibly half/whole grace notes.

Do you have any requests? If I have extra time in the session, I want to make sure to record as much as possible.
Well, Jeff Steinman (Warp IV) has a lot of this covered for jazz flute; the one thing I find lacking in his libary, is the multiphonics are not layered at all, there's just the one effect it seems, and the effect gets a little tired to exploit much. Variety in that and the growl area are what would get my card out. I am liking CC11 expression control in the VSL piccolo I just bought, a LOT.

In general, the GUI layout of Kontakt is a PITA compared to Vienna Instruments. For instance, these Warp IV libraries are largely keyswitch-based, and a visual on it, for me is referring to a pdf until I remember it, after some time. VI lays it out in cells and it's perfectly obvious what's what in the same window as everything else.

I def don't understand enough about what's possible in kontakt scripting to get around this rack interface way o life, but this IME would put your products above a lot of the rest of Kontakt devs. VI Pro is a game changer for vi control. If I was a dev I'd be paranoid enough to have a look-see. http://vsl.co.at/en/211/497/537/1456/1481/1570.htm# (Time-stretching: staccatissimo and beyond)

Include English flute (aka: recorder) samples, so you can groove on stuff like Canned Heat - Going Up The Country. That would be...uh....groovy 8)

I love your libraries Greg but I just couldn't get into MesaWinds. That's because I find that sound very new-agey and wishy-washy (don't quote me on that, that's just a subjective opinion :D ) - not because the recording and scripting isn't as great as always because it is.

But a jazz flute from you would be FANTASTIC. I already own the Warp IV flute jancivil mentioned and I'm very satisfied with it but I'm pretty sure you can do even better. :) Please go ahead and record it!

Don't forget about the Evolution Acoustic though! :hihi: :lol:

Will it have a 'sung-style' articulation? I'm thinking of some Jethro Tull stuff I've heard; I can't think of any specific songs at the moment, but I'm really tired and not thinking too clearly right now. It sounds like an interesting product. (But now it's another library to save up for. And I'm already drooling over MesaWinds and the upcoming acoustic guitar lib. Maybe it's time you made some lousy products I wouldn't be tempted to buy! ) :wink:

TristezaOrange wrote:I love your libraries Greg but I just couldn't get into MesaWinds. That's because I find that sound very new-agey and wishy-washy (don't quote me on that, that's just a subjective opinion :D ) - not because the recording and scripting isn't as great as always because it is.
I know exactly what you mean--MesaWinds has a very different market and appeal. But the opportunity to sample it presented itself, and I just couldn't resist! :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

DocAtlas wrote:Will it have a 'sung-style' articulation? I'm thinking of some Jethro Tull stuff I've heard; I can't think of any specific songs at the moment, but I'm really tired and not thinking too clearly right now. It sounds like an interesting product. (But now it's another library to save up for. And I'm already drooling over MesaWinds and the upcoming acoustic guitar lib. Maybe it's time you made some lousy products I wouldn't be tempted to buy! ) :wink:
Yes--you're talking about where you hum while you play? That's on the "definitely sample" list. That articulation is a must for rock flute playing.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

jancivil wrote:Well, Jeff Steinman (Warp IV) has a lot of this covered for jazz flute;
Yeah, I've checked his out before. It's pretty much keyswitch heaven, right? It seems like there's a lot of trills and other articulations, but those things are always tough to play from a keyboard since it's not always very practical to memorize so many keyswitches let alone incorporate it in your playing.

You know me, I'm all about automating those things to make libraries more instantly playable. ;)

I'm not trying to get into criticizing other libraries at all, but the one big thing I'm not hearing in this flute library is legato between the notes, which IMO is a really important aspect in realism.
jancivil wrote: the one thing I find lacking in his libary, is the multiphonics are not layered at all, there's just the one effect it seems, and the effect gets a little tired to exploit much. Variety in that and the growl area are what would get my card out.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to include as many layers of those things as possible.
jancivil wrote: I am liking CC11 expression control in the VSL piccolo I just bought, a LOT.
Does the CC11 only control volume, or does it affect the tonality of the instrument as well, when creating dynamic fades?
jancivil wrote: I def don't understand enough about what's possible in kontakt scripting to get around this rack interface way o life, but this IME would put your products above a lot of the rest of Kontakt devs. VI Pro is a game changer for vi control.
Yeah, I absolutely love what VI Pro has done with their latest engine--really fantastic work, and it looks so easy to use, too!

On one hand, I want to sample a lot of articulations, but on the other, I also want to minimize the number of keyswitches and make everything as real-time as possible.

My philosophy when it comes to sample libraries is that if you want a trill, you should be able to just play a trill on the keyboard and have it sound realistic. Same goes for grace notes, etc.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”