[solved] use Tonespace as a midi insert ?

Official support for: mucoder.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

maybe I'm a big n00b but I can't get Tonespace to be used as a midi insert in Cubase 5. I would like to use it to make chords with the key/scale/chord/voicing that I chose on another VST instrument (as if I was clicking on Tonespace's virtual keyboard)

Any idea ?
Last edited by jarnix on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if you mean you'd like to send tonespace midi output (eg chords) to another VST instrument (eg a soft synth) which then converts midi into sound, then this is possible

your best bet is to have a look at the appendices in the hypercyclic manual that describe setting up hypercyclic in this configuration
http://www.mucoder.net/en/hypercyclic/v ... rguide.pdf

for tonespace the setup would be identical
tonespace / hypercyclic

thanks a lot !

Hey jarnix, if you're still looking a for a bit of information on this you can check out this video http://www.vimeo.com/21147679. It shows how I set up TS2 in a project to send/receive midi.

this video is awesome! Thanks for making this, UncleAge!! :clap:
tonespace / hypercyclic

I watched this video, read the manual..yadda yadda... but I still cant get the trigger with mouse option to send the full midi signal to another track in Ableton Live 8.. for ex. if I hit C3 in C Major it should send the c major chord to a midi track (all three notes), but it doesnt. Also, version of tonespace in this video looks different than mine.. is it just the differences between the MAC and Windows versions? Thnks - Jimmy
http://www.vimeo.com/21147679.

Seems like the Mac version works as stated above and proven by the video, but the windows version has less options..

Peace..nice work btw.. :wink:

the version in the video is the latest beta which is not public yet
feel free to PM me if you like to get on the beta tester list;
or if you can wait a little while, the public release of this version is very near...
tonespace / hypercyclic

Just downloaded this and must say it's suprisingly superb ! Excellent concept and GUI - especially as it's free!

One thing noticed press a key on the virtual keboard or space and, depending on settings it plays a chord. Loaded it into Cubase and it behaves the same way, producing a chord when clicking on the built in virtual keyboard with a mouse though, using an external keboard pressing the corresponding key(s) as per mouse use, it just plays that single note.

Is this just a beta problem, is it not set up correctly or was it designed that way? woold be awesome to jam/find/record chords in realtime from a real keyboard with 1 finger acting as a mouse !!!

I assume you want to generate a chord by just pressing a key on your external midi keyboard and not use the mouse for selecting a tonespace cell, right?

to do this, make sure you have the latest version 2.0.361,
then set the new 'trigger' parameter to 'midi triggers note'.
Also make sure the 'midi in' parameter is set to the source of your midi (ie. VST host in your case).

when you press a key on an external midi keyboard this will make tonespace look for a cell corresponding to that midi note, then trigger that cell.

once you can get it to trigger a cell that way, you can set up other parameters to control what happens when a cell is triggered - eg which chord is played, etc..
tonespace / hypercyclic

we are waiting a logic pro videooooo :) midi mapping for tonespace+playing external midi keyboard with latest tonespace + recording + recording tonespace and au,when playing external keyboard..

please save the logic users :)) thank you Uncleage and mucoder..we will love tonespace more after this video :) :help:
KNOWN AS SCREAMHUNTER IN BODRUM CITY

firattuncbas wrote:we are waiting a logic pro videooooo :)
I wish I could help out with that but I am not currently a Logic user. I have thought about getting it for a while though...hmm...

we need it.logic's mapping is really bullshit..so hard..

@firat: please note that logic requires AU plugins and by design, AU plugins cannot send back midi directly to the AU host. So you will never get the ease of use and the solid timing of a VST host like Ableton/Cubase. There is a workaround, which is described in an appendix of the hypercyclic manual, using the IAC bus, but it is far from ideal and likely has timing issues.

that said, a video of setting up exactly that would be a nice thing to have indeed. So does anybody know of a good free tool to record screen videos on a lowly mac mini with tiger? Or better yet, has such a tool & a bit of time? ;-)
tonespace / hypercyclic

u can use SCREENFLOW or ISHOWU HD,i dont know which one is less powerfull :) but they are for mac..

I assume you want to generate a chord by just pressing a key on your external midi keyboard and not use the mouse for selecting a tonespace cell, right?

Absolutely yes! Just followed your guidelines, downloaded the latest release and it works just as was imagined - just like the mouse but from the midi keyboard.

Have yet to try sending a single note from within cubase to plugin and see if it generates and records a chord, that will have to wait until the time is available over the next few day's.

All hands up to you man, this is a great piece of software and it deserves to earn you a good living when it's ready for registration release. All the similar available packages have been tried out here but this is the easiest to understand and most intuitive so far.

Now - if only one could press a keyswitch to flip from major to minor and back (or other pre-selected scales) whilst "jamming" from a midi keyboard in real time into a DAW this package would be an abslolutely "must have" for computer muso's - bring it on for the benefit of all computer muso's and aspiring keyboard players I say !!!

Return to “mucoder”