Free, K4: Infamous Fairlight Series II Choral V

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been going misty eyed working my way through the old Series II factory disks.

The infamous Fairlight Choral 5 sample came up and I just had to program it up in Kontakt...

Used everywhere a million times over but still cool! (8 bit heaven!)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7lp07
Home of Novachord #346...

Thanks for that.
Do you have a real fairlight II?
Is it true they are unrelaible?
I would love to get one someday but have heard they can be a bit unreliable and hard to fix.
Bets regards,
Steve
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Thanks spfxsynths!

I'm getting an error in Kontakt 3.5, though...is this a K4 only patch?

thanks so much ! keep 'em coming if possible ! ")

Thanks! Love these old sounds!

Thanks for the freebies. Sounds very nice.
For people complaining that doesn't work, just update your Kontakt ;)

thank you :)
Take Time before He does so...

spfxsynths wrote:Thanks for that.
Do you have a real fairlight II?
Is it true they are unrelaible?
I would love to get one someday but have heard they can be a bit unreliable and hard to fix.
Bets regards,
Steve
The now very aged Series II wasn't exactly known for it's reliability even when new - now a great musuem piece but probably not worth the effort - but then again most equipment of this age and complexity isn't likely to be either. As with any sampler of this age PSUs, memory and floppy drives (8 inch!!) are an issue. The Series II is a card based design and hence there are potentially also the usual issues with the mechanics of a backplane and card connectors to contend with..

The problem is that equipment of this era (early 80's) is now not simply aging or out of date - it is genuinely old for something of this complexity. It has reached an age where electrolytic and tantalum caps are likely to be failing (especially where exposed to heat), contacts are badly tarnished and DRAM is increasingly full of holes. Computers, test gear, arcade machines, pinball machines of this era all fall into the same bracket. It's all repairable but it needs considerably more care and attention. This means anyone purchasing gear of this age really needs to know what he is letting himself in for, is an engineer....... or knows a friendly one :)

The Emulator II is no different - it's a sea of tarnished IC sockets, dried out PSU caps and dodgy 5.25" floppy drives in a chassis that's far too flexible for it's own good - shame really because they have such a gorgeous sound!

The Fairlight is cool to but it's much more primative despite the user interface - the EII is definitely far more of a musical instrument and in some ways a sounder buy.

Reverend Rhythm wrote:Thanks! Love these old sounds!
Glad you like it - I might be tempted to program up a couple more one offs but really beyond that it's not fair on those who've released some of the superb Fairlight library transfers in recent years - and besides I'm up to my eyeballs working on well uh.... secret things in the lab! :)

DELETED

Just discovering your freebies. Sounds great, thanks for those.

Is there any way someone could repost this file?

Thanks!

Hi,
don't know if you have already seen this thread.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324561

A KVR member made a Kontakt instrument of the Fairlight Library.
Cheers,
Steve
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”