One-Synth-Challenge 34: Sonigen - Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time to vote for your top 5 tracks. All tracks are here.

RULES:
- Give 5 points to the track you think is best, 4 for second, then 3, 2 and 1.
- Voting is open to anyone.
- Last day for voting is 15th December (KVR time).
- If you have entered in the competition, you must vote to be eligible for prizes.
- No voting for yourself.
- Voters must have had 20 prior forum posts or participated in this month's contest.
- In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 5 pts they got, then 4 pts and so on.

HOW TO VOTE:
You should allocate your votes, in a single post, in this thread ... something like this ....
Artist zxy - Track zxy: 5
Artist xqy - Track xqy: 4
Artist zyx - Track zyx: 3
Artist zqx - Track zqx: 2
Artist qzx - Track qzx: 1

NOTE:
Reviews, however brief, are always welcome. Even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive and encourages others to listen/vote.
Last edited by V'ger on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And now the entries are all in, maybe an idea to collect some presets since it's such a new synth and we were among the first to tweak it properly.

Doesn't have to be all you used in the track, just a couple would be good.

Best is if it's named by category with the first 2 or 3 letters and your nick/name at the end, like this for example: DR BassDrum Deep V'ger

I will get some up coming days.

Thanks to all for participating, it's been a real blast for me to hear what you have all been able to do with my software.

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by sonigen on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

No thank YOU Chris. It was pleasure working with your creation.
I'm sure we would all agree if you wanted to feature some of the tracks on your website as a showcase of its capabilities.

I'll listen to the tracks over the weekend and then cast my vote.
And I'll also upload all the patches (15?) I've made with Sonigen Modular.
And to reply to V'ger, no need to add the author's name in the patch name as there's already a field for the author in the patch info (which creates a category in the browser)
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Okay, I have reached a verdict:

bzur - bzurred vision: 5

Wow. For me, this one is the most "musical" track of the bunch - at the same time an exhibition of the synth as a mysterious journey. The interest is kept with constant changes, definitely a track that's going to be replayed many times here.

Karten - Holograph: 4

This one reminds me of the IDM tracks 10 years ago by people of demoscene background. Perhaps what sets this track apart for me in a good way is more relaxed mixing. The hihats come through even though they are quiet. Maybe just good use of EQ and some side chain compression, and staying away from pushing things with a master limiter?

Acronym - Boom Bap: 3

Definitely fun to see a hip hop instrumental done on a modular synth. Makes my head nod and feet tap. Smooth beat, bro.

SoulState - Modular Life: 2

I guess this one is an "uplifting trance energy packet", or something. Anyway, the type of song I expected more in this competition, this one is clearly well done and it seems like the author had fun doing it, too.

RuediRena - Inside The Machine (Part I-VII): 1

Now it's the time to slow down. Time. Reminds me of early modular music overdubbed on tapes, e.g. Isao Tomita. With all the different parts, perhaps the author tries to capture the feeling of an old, silent sci-fi movie. This one deserves a point for the daring expression.

This was my first OSC, and every track surprised me with quality.

Good night now.

Bogucha (soapform)

kraftraum - rotation - 5
Thrax - Deep Space Module 31 - 4
pchor - Frosted it Remains - 3
Bjulin - Rocket Take Off - 2
bzur - Sonigen Off Again - 1

alphuris wrote:kraftraum - rotation - 5
Uhmmm... maybe I have to share 0.5 points with Gorgorgathgorgorgor!

Hello to you all,
thank to all who have give me a response to my song. Cause it's my first KVR challenge i did not believe that so many people would create great songs :)

So it's very hard to give 5 Points away and zero Points to all the other great songs :(

Let's have a look, my votes are:

Bjulin - Rocket Launch Takeoff: 5
My favourit: nice song with very interest lead sound in background.

Stonail - DarkMatterPills: 4
Hot effects and nice hook-line. I like this type of sounds.

Karten - Holograp: 3
Wonderfull Chillout with a perfectly Mix (for me)

Vger - Son of a gun: 2
Great song.

Pchor - Frosted It Remains: 1
Again a great song for the long winter :)

You will find my flp-File here: http://speedy.sh/TwypC/kraftraum-Rotation-1.7z
The snd-Files are uploaded to KVR Banks & Patches.

Have a nice day
kraftraum
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Huhh?? Thx for the 5 Points! :oops:

I'm very Happy ...

kraftraum
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

kraftraum wrote: Huhh?? Thx for the 5 Points! :oops:

I'm very Happy ...

kraftraum
You're welcome, I dug your track a lot.

Many thanks for the votes and good luck to you :)

There are some very good tracks this month. I feel voting will take me longer than as to make all the patches for the song I made with Sonigen this month :help:

I think there seems to be a bit of a spacey theme this month, maybe its something to do with all the wires...

kraftraum wrote:Hello to you all,
thank to all who have give me a response to my song. Cause it's my first KVR challenge i did not believe that so many people would create great songs :)

So it's very hard to give 5 Points away and zero Points to all the other great songs :(

Let's have a look, my votes are:

Bjulin - Rocket Launch Takeoff: 5
My favourit: nice song with very interest lead sound in background.

Stonail - DarkMatterPills: 4
Hot effects and nice hook-line. I like this type of sounds.

Karten - Holograp: 3
Wonderfull Chillout with a perfectly Mix (for me)

Vger - Son of a gun: 2
Great song.

Pchor - Frosted It Remains: 1
Again a great song for the long winter :)

You will find my flp-File here: http://speedy.sh/TwypC/kraftraum-Rotation-1.7z
The snd-Files are uploaded to KVR Banks & Patches.

Have a nice day
kraftraum
WOW, thanks man!! :D Glad you like my track!
Good luck to you!

cya
https://audile.shop - the quality controlled sound shop
http://bjulin.de

bzur wrote:
Uhmmm... maybe I have to share 0.5 points with Gorgorgathgorgorgor!
That's fine with me, I'd consider it an honor brother!

OSC 34 Votes!

5 points
bzur - bzurred vision
This is a very complete, well produced track. it has everything, great sounds, plenty of ear candy, great arrangement, strong melody, killer bridge, I love the baselines (simple but perfect), nice drumming (sounds like a drummer). I got no critiques!

4 points
Stonail - Dark Matter Pills
Dark indeed… simultaneously an up feel and yet very creepy… loaded with ear candy yet remains sparsely arranged… points fo sho. Funny thing, I got on Acronym and Totolitoto for not having strong melodies, but while I could say the same about this track, I don't feel the need to! Why is that?!?! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle enveloped in a conundrum. For whatever reason, this stands on it's own!
Bravo!

3 points
V'ger - Son of a Gun
You have such a strong signature sound, you can tell almost immediately that it's your work. Loving the big round kik. you got some great sounds out of this thing!

2 points
Karten - Holograp
I love this track! tight little bassline, hooky little riffs. very light and relaxing, but engaging. Deciding who got 3 points was actually the toughest part of voting for me this time. The top two seemed so clear to me, but deciding between this and V'ger's was very tough. If I could give you each 2.5 points I would!

1 point
Acronym - Boom Bap
Luxurious. I'm sooo glad I have a sub! that kik is redonkulous! The only critique is the same one I gave Totolitoto, It sounds like a performance backing track. Slammin' work tho.

Honorable Mentions

Totolitoto - Sadness and Anger in Robotville
Nice snappy kik there, some classic bass throb stuff, very cool track. I feel like it's missing a strong melody tho, like it's a backing track for soloist…

Mike777 - Seekers of Truth and Light
Triumphant! The intro is very catchy, my kind of mind worm… The drum kit is soft and subtle, perfect in the 2nd part. This is my favorite thing from you by far.

RuediRena - Inside The Machine
very ambitious, great textures! I feel transported to a series of mechanized worlds… "March" is my favorite part by far, with the disjointed oboe playing against the panning bass thing, and the steam effects… things get a bit noodly here and there, but it's so much fun!

Not so many submissions this month so listening to all of them was not as time-consuming as it was in the Zebralette month :D

Let's start with tracks I really like that unfortunately didn't get any points :(
  • Acronym - Boom Bap
    Awesome drum sounds, obviously has a cool groove 8) I especially like that "bass" sound and that sound that is for example at 0:18 :) Overall it's a little too repetitive for me though.
  • Karten - Holograp
    Very mellow, soft and quiet. It nicely flows in the background.
  • adam_firegate - Red Dust Castle
    I like stuff with lots of reverb :D It evolves nicely, but a little bit too slow for my taste, it seems a little repetitive then... also the "main melody" could have been played (with) a little more.
  • bzur - bzurred vision
    A very different track with lots of interesting details and certainly fascinating, I just haven't really found access to it...
Points go to:
  1. SoulState - Modular Life (5 pts.)
    Awesome! Remembered me how much I still love good Trance :D It's hard to go into detail here due to the tracks length, but I personally think the length is just fine, since the track is definitely not repetitive imo :D
  2. Stonail - Dark matter pills (4 pts.)
    Didn't convince me at all - until 1:11, from then on the beat "made sense". Very imagination-driving pad in the background, reminded me of a Zelda Dungeon... ah well maybe I just played too much Skyward Sword :D It is quite repetitive, yes, but I personally didn't mind that at all since the music that was repeated was great and well looping music ;)
  3. Totolitoto - Sadness and anger in Robotville (3 pts.)
    Like Stonail's track it really starts at 0:48 for me and keeps its dark atmosphere alive from then on. That "solo" break from 2:15 on was great imo ;) And these hits at the end - dramatic, very intense.
  4. V'ger - Son of a gun (2 pts.)
    The devil is definitely in the detail here (I hope that is a valid english expression :S) - I especially liked melody parts like at 0:56, these pitch bends make the track sound very "organic" and natural :)
  5. Bjulin - Rocket Launch / TakeOff (1 pt.)
    I just love that "knocking" sound, the nice energetic track goes around it (from my viewpoint :P)
So once more a month with lots of good new music for my library :)
Good luck to all, then :D

Return to “Instruments”