Omen (ElectroProg - Seismic Darkness)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My latest remix, this took 10 hours to record in December 2009. The December 2011 remix took about 3 hours. Back in 1980, Hobgoblin used to have a Mellotron. We were able to get a pretty good Prog sound with that beast, but carrying it up and down stairs was not a lot of fun. A couple of years ago I realised I could have my cake and eat it, not having to visit the hospital on my way home from the bakery.

I suppose this piece could loosely be described as dark ambient, and reflects my interest in 1970s Tangerine Dream, King Crimson and Genesis.

edit: mp3 download link removed

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/omen

EDIT:20111217 - Made mix-levelling reductions and added EQ cut at 400 Hz.

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.2/Remixed in EnergyXT2.6/EnergyXT2.7beta
EnergyXT Synthesizer
Dominator CM
RedTron_MKV
RedTron
FreeVerb3
T-RackS 3 Equalizer

Edit: 20130106 Remix: relevelled, made an LF EQ cut, added FerricTDS to the master bus and mastered With T-Racks3 - 3 hours

DR - 8

EDIT:20240407 - over 12 years later, also on Youtube as a static video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8rwGGlkTB8
Last edited by seismic1 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

I like that a lot.

I've left some comments on teh cloud.

Really reminds me of an eerie Hitchcock film at the start, then morphs into a dark videogame style soundtrack.

And not a whiff of 80s synthpop anywhere! :hihi:

Niecee work 8)

Just had a listen... as far as the Mellotron goes, you could just hold a note and I'd be a happy camper.
There's a nice, slow vibe there, and some really good ominous bass notes. I liked the part in the middle (about 3 mins onward) best... along with the choir section, which caused some wind and wuthering in my brain. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

^^ I like the Hitchcock comment. I love the pacing of this one... it feels loaded with tension. Nice sound palette... Really enjoyed the listen Tim! 8)
Image Image

You really captured the 70's feel on this.. i was taken back
to late nights watching night gallery on the tube.
only thing missing was maybe a little pulsating 80's synthbass
fading in and out.... that woulda been totally tripindicular , dude!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

tehlord wrote:I like that a lot.

I've left some comments on teh cloud.

Really reminds me of an eerie Hitchcock film at the start, then morphs into a dark videogame style soundtrack.

And not a whiff of 80s synthpop anywhere! :hihi:

Niecee work 8)
Thanks for commenting and listening. Glad you enjoyed it. I generally prefer the music of the '70s to that of the '80s, but you wouldn't know it from listening to my regular stuff. My next track certainly has its roots in the '80s. I just can't kick that habit.

Man that was creepy... Not much a tangerine dream, more like a brutal giant.

ariston wrote:Just had a listen... as far as the Mellotron goes, you could just hold a note and I'd be a happy camper.
There's a nice, slow vibe there, and some really good ominous bass notes. I liked the part in the middle (about 3 mins onward) best... along with the choir section, which caused some wind and wuthering in my brain. ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Yes, there is something magical about those 'Trons. You can recognise them immediately, and they almost sound like the textures they try to recreate, but they have a unique sound which makes them so fantastic. Those old TD, Crimson and Genesis albums (among others) were drizzled with Mellotron, which gave them a special feel that was lost when the '80s brought a new wave of technology to progressive music.

Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it. :)

polyslax wrote:^^ I like the Hitchcock comment. I love the pacing of this one... it feels loaded with tension. Nice sound palette... Really enjoyed the listen Tim! 8)
Thanks for listening and commenting Matt.

I went for creepy and got it. I should be careful what I wish for!

Glad you liked it.

The next one will be cheerful and ponderous.

BTW. I picked up Chromaphone and my first piece with it achieved almost the opposite feel to that which I was aiming at. Nice, but unexpected.

layzer wrote:You really captured the 70's feel on this.. i was taken back
to late nights watching night gallery on the tube.
only thing missing was maybe a little pulsating 80's synthbass
fading in and out.... that woulda been totally tripindicular , dude!
Mission accomplished then! Thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed it. Now I just need to get a double-neck guitar and I can relive the '70s all over again. Maybe I'll dig out that 1980 Hobgoblin studio recording and post it here if I can get permission. That is loaded with Mellotron. The audio might need some work.

Zombie Queen wrote:Man that was creepy... Not much a tangerine dream, more like a brutal giant.
Creepy is good. Now I need to scare some family members into Christmas software upgrades :hihi:

Thanks for listening and commenting ZQ

Scary? mmm, not terribly. beauty full, for sure. TD influence? yes! Great work man!

Epic.

Love how you have used tremolo to draw tension.
Very atmospheric / dark

abstractcats wrote:Scary? mmm, not terribly. beauty full, for sure. TD influence? yes! Great work man!
Thanks for listening Scott. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the compliments.

:)

Emerald Tablet wrote:Epic.

Love how you have used tremolo to draw tension.
Very atmospheric / dark
It was just a matter of finding complimentary patches. That tremelo synth was Dominator CM. It can make some amazing sounds.

Glad you liked it.

Return to “Music Cafe”