New linear-phase EQ - SplineEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SplineEQ

Photosounder SplineEQ is our new spline-based linear phase equalizer plugin (VST/AU), available now in a free version and a commercial version.

http://photosounder.com/splineeq/

There are lots of great curve-based linear phase equalizers out there (e.g. Pro-Q) but I wanted to make one that's simpler (in a minimalistic sort of way) but nevertheless that affords a lot of control (something for which I believe Bézier splines are ideal) and perhaps more importantly something much more affordable. I also wanted to make a free EQ because there's a lot of great free EQs out there so I made a free version of it that is fully functional.

Last edited by A_SN on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Looks interesting - what's the difference between the free and commercial versions?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Looks interesting - what's the difference between the free and commercial versions?
The free version only has up to 4 bands while the commercial version has up to 60 bands. Also the free version cannot open or save presets (well at least not using its own format thing, you can always save as a .fxp).

This looks awesome.
miedex

$39..........bargain :D
Amazon: why not use an alternative

miedex wrote:This looks awesome.
Wait till you see it in action, the spectral visualisation thing looks pretty nice when it moves with the sound. Which reminds me, I need to make a video showing how it works, but I need material to equalise, and I need to know how to equalise it (I don't make music myself so I'm not used to using an equalizer for the aesthetic embetterment of sound), is there anyone who'd like to volunteer some material for me to use?

VariKusBrainZ wrote:$39..........bargain :D
And yes, that's the idea, I suppose I could have priced it much higher but I think it's more interesting to price it as competitively as possible, mostly when there's a lack of similar plugins in that price range.

Have quite a few linear-phase EQ options already, However i will try the limited version and if its working well for my needs then get the full version A_SN. Thanks for going about it this way, I think the logic behind it is a really good move fwiw to you. 60-Bands? That is a tweaker's/fiddler's wet dream man ;)

All the best :)

Dean

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Have quite a few linear-phase EQ options already, However i will try the limited version and if its working well for my needs then get the full version A_SN. Thanks for going about it this way, I think the logic behind it is a really good move fwiw to you. 60-Bands? That is a tweaker's/fiddler's wet dream man ;)

All the best :)

Dean
I was going to go with more than 60 bands but with 60 bands that gives me 250 parameters (4 for each of the 60 bands + 10 other parameters) and not all hosts seem to be able to use more than 256. But if anyone needs more I'll be happy to make builds with more than that.

And those 60 bands with splines can end up being less than as many with other types. For example if you try to make a comb you can only make 20 spikes because you need 3 bands to make a single high-Q notch filter (although it's actually better than a regular notch filter, you can control its shape better since the curve must go through every yellow dot).

Also the preset format is a text format which can be easily modified/created which is convenient for some purposes, like that time I made an harmonics notch filter I just did the first notch filter in SplineEQ and did the rest from it in a text editor (the text editor has to support Unix line endings btw).

A_SN wrote: Wait till you see it in action, the spectral visualisation thing looks pretty nice when it moves with the sound.
This thing is hypnotizing me to buy it! :lol:

No seriously :hihi: ... this seems like something cool, I'm off to put it to some tests! :)
Which reminds me, I need to make a video showing how it works, but I need material to equalise, and I need to know how to equalise it (I don't make music myself so I'm not used to using an equalizer for the aesthetic embetterment of sound), is there anyone who'd like to volunteer some material for me to use?
What do you prefer more exactly?
Some loops, song sections perhaps?

Where do I report bugs?
I've just encountered a deadly one under Win7.

3ee wrote:
Which reminds me, I need to make a video showing how it works, but I need material to equalise, and I need to know how to equalise it (I don't make music myself so I'm not used to using an equalizer for the aesthetic embetterment of sound), is there anyone who'd like to volunteer some material for me to use?
What do you prefer more exactly?
Some loops, song sections perhaps?
Well, I'm not dead set on anything specific but I guess that loops of some instrument(s) would be best since single instruments are better suited to showing off the huge gain range, whereas more complex mixes need to be handled with more subtlety (and be changed by only a few dB). And something that loops well would be convenient since I could run it for as long as needed but also because it compares with itself (as in first you hear the unmodified loop then you hear how it changes). As for what it actually should be I think it should be whatever you think shows well what SplineEQ can do. I'm a bit out of my depth for that, I don't even normally use any EQs.

Sounds awesome, huge range of cut/boost!
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Sounds awesome, huge range of cut/boost!
I know right? I wonder why I couldn't find any EQ that goes all the way down to -infinite dB. And at first I was gonna make it go up to only +30 dB but when testing I found that in some cases you want to boost some things (like very weak harmonics, to bring them back) by up to 60 dB.

Nice! Seems to be a really nice EQ for some creative sound design :)

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Effects”