M-Audio Oxygen 49 and iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking of getting the M-Audio Oxygen 49 to use with my iPad, but want to know if it will work with the iPad. It looks like it is USB-powered only, so I am wondering if the iPad can power it. I have read it works but I have also read it depends on which model of the 49 you have, so it's been confusing. Does anyone have the model linked to above? Does that model work with the iPad?

I want something small, light and portable I can take on trips or to work.

Thanks for any information.

www.iosmidi.com/devices has a list of devices which work with ipad
ipad usb power was lowered in ios5 so will have to connect to powered usb hub
as far as i know any class compliant 1.1 device will work that means plug and play on mac and windows without any drivers.

i have an old oxygen8 which isnt class compliant but the newer gen 3 is so its a bit confusing i think the 49 is the same but read on forums still has problems when used on mac and windows.

just google 'oxygen49 on ipad' this what i usually do.

Thanks. Yeah, I looked at the iosmidi site awhile back and it had a link leading me to a forum where some people say it works and others say it doesn't. Then they started realizing it depended on which version you have as to whether or not it works. You'll notice in the 'do not work' section, M-Audio Oxygen 49 (1st Gen) is listed, but crossed out. That 'mixed reports' used to be a link.

You are right. Now it says it will work with a powered hub. Interesting! I may need to pick up a powered USB and head to Guitar Center to test it out.

Thanks!

I found the link I had read previously: http://yonacsoftware.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -midi.html

So it appears the 3rd Gen, which is the one I am looking at, will work directly with the CCK!!! I can try that out at the store (if they have one in stock).

I tried it out at Guitar Center and it worked GREAT!!!!! I tested with GarageBand and NanoStudio. Moving sliders was affecting the XY/Pads in NanoStudio. It was so cool. I did end up buying it.

It is a completely portable solution as the iPad will power it. This is exactly what I was looking for to use when I'm out or on a trip.

Check you tube. I am using my USB Key Rig 49 with my iPad by connecting through the Apple Camera adapter. So far it works great.

Yeah. It's working great for me too. Although I now realize not many apps take advantage of the controls. Sunrizer has MIDI learn, but most other apps barely take advantage of the knobs/sliders. Or even program changes. Even so, I have already been having a great time practicing and preparing sets with it.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”