Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Urs wrote:
99trinka wrote:If I buy the Dark Zebra expansion, I will get Zebra 3 also when it comes out?
i don't see any mention of this on your Dark Zebra page.
Yep, once - and if ever - Zebra3 comes out
Hua ?

"If ever" ?

Urs wrote:Actually, we've started to work on Zebra3, that's true. Because we're not Apple and we're too excited to keep it a secret, we came up with a devlish incentive to still get Zebra2:
  • Price for Zebra2: 199$
  • Price for Zebra3: 249$
Why is the price going up for Zebra? Do the parts that are in it cost more to build? I know shipping has gone up, is this why?
Yeah,$249 is a completely reasonable entry price for a VIRTUAL instrument that is reliant on a host software.

Sure you could charge $1,000.00 for it because its yours (mine mine mine mine) but just appreciate that the higher the price the higher the amount of people there will be who cant afford it / cant justify paying so much for something intangible, and from there we know what that leads to.

Emanresu wrote:
Urs wrote:Actually, we've started to work on Zebra3, that's true. Because we're not Apple and we're too excited to keep it a secret, we came up with a devlish incentive to still get Zebra2:
Why is the price going up for Zebra? Do the parts that are in it cost more to build? I know shipping has gone up, is this why?
Yeah,$249 is a completely reasonable entry price for a VIRTUAL instrument that is reliant on a host software.

Sure you could charge $1,000.00 for it because its yours (mine mine mine mine) but just appreciate that the higher the price the higher the amount of people there will be who cant afford it / cant justify paying so much for something intangible, and from there we know what that leads to.
Your very first post here and you set out to lecture Urs on marketing? :lol:

The point is, don't wait for Z3 because there's no even tentative launch date. Buy Zebra 2 now (using the Dinosaur discount, if you can) and upgrade to (an eventual) Z3. Or buy the Dark Zebra add-on (it's very cool) and you get Z3 for free.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Emanresu wrote:Sure you could charge $1,000.00 for it because its yours (mine mine mine mine) but just appreciate that the higher the price the higher the amount of people there will be who cant afford it / cant justify paying so much for something intangible, and from there we know what that leads to.
The "can't afford" is relative. If you make music for a living, this is a negligible cost for a synthesizer with a supported usable lifetime of many many years. And not 1 at a time but unlimited if your CPU handles it.

If you don't make music for a living it's a hobby and everyone is free to spend as much as they like on their hobby. Nobody is forced to use something specific.

As far as the intangible goes: this is really the reason why I wanted to write a reply. I think we have long moved past the point where digital goods and real-world goods are much of a difference. And I don't really understand the logic behind it either. On the one hand everybody (even the free and open software movement) make their money in intangible goods (services and software products) but at the same time they constantly devalue such products by claims such as yours. There's some logical dissonance here.

Best,
Hans

zebra has many facettes. the 250$ are well spent..

but we arent on a basar here - there is a dev - he makes a product, he has a price. you can buy or not buy.. yeah..

Emanresu wrote:

try to code your own synth and maybe you will understand why it cost money.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Indeed, not a brilliant first post... are the hours you spend with Zebra and the results you get with it intangible? Then go on and just pay 5x / 10 x its price for an hardware synth that has only a part of the tweaking possiblities, flexibility and sound quality that Zebra2 offers..

As wonshu said earlier, the concept of virtual and intangible is somehow to be revisited here...

Peace,
Mario

wonshu wrote:

I think we have long moved past the point where digital goods and real-world goods are much of a difference.

Best,
Hans
The key here is you think we (who is we?) have moved to a point where virtual and real world are the same, to most people there is a big difference.

So your opinion of "most" people is more substantial than my opinion of "think".

'nuff said.

The key here is "how do you measure tangible" (IMHO)?

- Mario

I consider Hardware Synths to be just great big inconvenient dongles with less portability, less upgrade potential and limited poly/multi/processing/routing etc etc...

:P

mabian wrote:Indeed, not a brilliant first post... are the hours you spend with Zebra and the results you get with it intangible? Then go on and just pay 5x / 10 x its price for an hardware synth that has only a part of the tweaking possiblities, flexibility and sound quality that Zebra2 offers..

As wonshu said earlier, the concept of virtual and intangible is somehow to be revisited here...

Peace,
Mario
My first post was not made to leave you in awe of my brilliance.

I personally dont spend hours with zebra because I dont own it but yes hours of course are intangible but are valued higher than software because hours are a part of your life that you cant get back. I guess you are suggesting to not put a price on happiness which to me is ridiculous when it comes to computer software. I cant really be happy playing with a product knowing its creator made a thousand percent profit off of me. In the back of my mind I would feel scammed, especially so knowing that the overhead cost of writing software is very low.

Why would other humans get angry with me when I suggest that the price might be to high, do you enjoy paying 10x more for one piece of software vs another?
Look at video games, on average they come out costing $60.00 and they still sell well, Indie games usually cost much less (U-he would be considered an indie developer) I see no justification in the pricing of music software for me it is extremely out of hand. Look at the synths on the ipad, on average they cost maybe $15, this proves there is no need for the high prices of software on computers.
I understand U-he has made some great free synths but does that elevate him/them above simple reproach?

Also lets not forget that the original price of Zebra was $150 (as long as you send a picture in, lie, and say 'im retiring my hardware for your software)So the price go's from $150 to $250? Is inflation that much out of control?

It's not about inflation, it's about Z3 being completely different than Z2 and as such warranting a different price. Z2 will remain developed ALONG WITH Z3.

If you can't buy it, then don't buy it and whine about why you can't buy it.

Emanresu wrote:
mabian wrote:Indeed, not a brilliant first post... are the hours you spend with Zebra and the results you get with it intangible? Then go on and just pay 5x / 10 x its price for an hardware synth that has only a part of the tweaking possiblities, flexibility and sound quality that Zebra2 offers..

Peace,
Mario
My first post was not made to leave you in awe of my brilliance.

I personally dont spend hours with zebra because I dont own it but yes hours of course are intangible but are valued higher than software because hours are a part of your life that you cant get back. I guess you are suggesting to not put a price on happiness which to me is ridiculous when it comes to computer software. I cant really be happy playing with a product knowing its creator made a thousand percent profit off of me. In the back of my mind I would feel scammed, especially so knowing that the overhead cost of writing software is very low.

Why would other humans get angry with me when I suggest that the price might be to high, do you enjoy paying 10x more for one piece of software vs another?
Look at video games, on average they come out costing $60.00 and they still sell well, Indie games usually cost much less (U-he would be considered an indie developer) I see no justification in the pricing of music software for me it is extremely out of hand. Look at the synths on the ipad, on average they cost maybe $15, this proves there is no need for the high prices of software on computers.
I understand U-he has made some great free synths but does that elevate him/them above simple reproach?

Also lets not forget that the original price of Zebra was $150 (as long as you send a picture in, lie, and say 'im retiring my hardware for your software)So the price go's from $150 to $250? Is inflation that much out of control?
How can you say the price is too high before you have any idea what it does or can do? Perhaps it would be a good idea to wait and see or just use the exceptionally well priced free instruments. (*PS- lots of people will tell you soon how much it costs to produce software with wages and overheads ;-))

Oh, I have a suggestion: lets indie U-he sets up the price of Z3 to $150 with upgrade cost of -$30 (yes, minus) for the owners of Z2. ;)

Emanresu
If serious. Do you like the sound and possibilities of Diva? Do you like its price? Z3 will have the sound quality equal (or better) to Diva, character of the sound will differ, yes, but the possibilities of Z3 will be much bigger than Diva has, so it is reasonable that the price will be 39% higher.

Also: you can think about Z3 as about entirely new synthesizer. Other companies often doesn't offer any upgrade plans for such big updates, and it is just $30 for you if you have Z2.
Last edited by trance_lucent on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “u-he”