Kirnu v 1.1 to 1.2.1 upgrade problem

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I currently have a project in Reaper that I created using Kirnu v 1.1. When I replace the 1.1 .dll with the 1.2.1 .dll, all the settings are gone. If I put the 1.1 .dll back, everything is OK.

Even if I export the preset from the 1.1 version, replace the .dll with the 1.2.1 version, open the project and try to load the exported preset. It doesn't work. Also, 1.2.1 won't load the 'factory' preset bank.

I am on WinXP 32 bit, Reaper v 4.32.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
With Regards:
Ric (the) Obscene

Removed due to fanboy crybabies
Last edited by rictheobscene on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Regards:
Ric (the) Obscene

removed due to non-fanboy crybaby

OK - found a workaround. This isn't documented anywhere that I can find, so I am throwing it here in case anyone used and pre-1.2 release on a critical project and has upgraded to 1.21.

The .dlls by default have different names and can co-exist on a system. I recommend putting them in different folders in case your host does not support VST renaming. This is not a requirement, but it will make it easy to tell which version you are adding. Of course, once the plug-in has been instantiated, you can get the version number by clicking the spot on the GUI. Once you have them both in your project, you can open both GUIs and fat-finger your settings into the 1.21 version.

I have no desire to stifle creativity and product improvement, but I think you need to have a mechanism for backwards compatibility. Obviously, this exists for Kirnu v1, but it is not documented very well (if at all).

As for the 6 people who sent me threatening PM's; all I can do is shake my head. If you still feel the need to act on what you placed in the PM, I can pencil you in.
With Regards:
Ric (the) Obscene

well put. :wink:

Return to “Kirnu”