Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
chokehold
KVRAF

2138 posts since 10 Oct, 2007, from Almanya

Postby chokehold; Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 pm FREE: Black Noh Snare ... for Metal, or not.

http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-noh-snare-demo-iv

http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-n ... e-demo-iii

http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-noh-snare-demo-ii

http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-noh-snare-demo

Everything you need to know about it is right here:
http://free.chokehold.net/black-noh/

Quick roundup:

* Sampled snare drum
* 2 microphones
* 9 velocity layers
* 8 random-robin samples per velocity per microphone
* "punch" module to add some low-end thump
* Rim shot at velocities 121+ but no further articulations

The original is played by a long-haired dude wearing a Noh mask (hence the name) in one of the most controversial bands of all time. As it was specifically tailored to shine in a low-tuned modern metal mix, that's of course where it belongs.
But feel free to use it for anything else as well, it's a pretty dynamic beast.

It does have a ringing resonance somewhere between 0.6 and 1 kHz, you might want to get rid of that for anything else but Metal. :D

Available as VSTi/AUi for Win and OSX, 32 and 64 bits on both.

Have fun, and go easy on those velocities! 8)

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by chokehold on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2
Elffin
KVRist

98 posts since 15 Oct, 2007, from Wales

Postby Elffin; Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks again..

one enquiry though.... normally when transferring work from my 64bit setup to my school's 32bit setup most commercial vsts transfer with no problem.

It seems that that the 64bit version and 32bit dont share the same id .. is there an easy fix for this or is it difficult to implement?
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

9509 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:02 pm

BTW, thanks for the ultimate Alesis D4 library! I still couldn't download it because my internet connection is really weak at the moment... :x

Did you really sample all 500 drum samples from it?
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Yes, that would be "fixable". It was actually meant to have 2 different IDs, because some people may keep two versions side-by-side for use in two different hosts, and I wanted to avoid any problems by making them not-the-same.

But I'm already tweaking and tuning it, so if others think that would be a desirable change, then I will certainly do it.
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Tricky-Loops wrote:BTW, thanks for the ultimate Alesis D4 library! I still couldn't download it because my internet connection is really weak at the moment... :x
Did you really sample all 500 drum samples from it?

My mom always told me "everybody has his purpose in life". I guess sampling that D4 was mine. :lol:

Yes, I did sample them all.
I set up a giant project in Reaper that automated the D4's Data wheel via MIDI CC, and then let it go through all of them for about an hour or even longer per instrument category (kick, snare, etc.) and take 6 or 7 shots with rising velocity at every preset sound. The sounds were recorded, I then split and trimmed them all (3000!), renamed the samples, categorized them in folders and started importing them into the sampler... a ridiculous amount of work. Thinking about it, maybe I should charge for it... 8)

Next step is the Kontakt implementation.
That's why I made this snare ... so I could procrastinate it yet again, haha. :D
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:06 pm

New demo song, demonstrating the Noh Snare in a context with acoustic guitars. :)
http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-noh-snare-demo-ii

Watch out for that drum roll near the end... <3
thisplace
KVRist

51 posts since 9 Jun, 2012

Postby thisplace; Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Awesome. Thanks!!!!!!!!
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:49 am

And here's another track, just to give you a quick impression of what an evil beast this one can be. This is heavy stuff, if you don't know Carnifex or The Acacia Strain ... think twice. ;)
(not comparing myself, just hinting)

Takes a while to get started, but listen to all the rolls and flams... aah... <3
;)
http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/black-n ... e-demo-iii
medienhexer
KVRian

605 posts since 16 May, 2007, from At home. Good bye city ways!

Postby medienhexer; Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:48 am

Wow, sounds great in its intended context.

I'm not sure, though - is it possible that some of the roll/diddle-sounding parts were meant to be blast beats?

Do you randomize right/left hits?
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
http://www.medienhexer.de
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 am

No, it should be just like that. The blast beats are blast beats, and the rolls one might mistake as hyper blasts are really suppsed to be sort-of rolls. Not blast beats. There's one clunky bit a little over 2/3 through the song, but that was just my eagerness to upload. Rendering before checking everything just one more time... :roll:

If you're wondering why there are rolls in the song ... try and make out the beat. I doubt you'll find a straight 4/4 in there anywhere. The only thing about this track that makes sense is that it doesn't make sense. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and there's no left/right randomization.
medienhexer
KVRian

605 posts since 16 May, 2007, from At home. Good bye city ways!

Postby medienhexer; Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:07 am

Stuff doesn't have to make sense in my book. Good job, looking forward to fiddling with it. Do you do everything yourself?
..off to play with my music toys - personal music endeavors, as well as library music production.
http://www.medienhexer.de
chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:10 am

Samples = me
Editing = me
GUIs = me
Demo sounds = me
Plugins = 1/2 me, I create the instruments but use 3rd party software for that.

...and "thank you".
Nearly forgot that in all the self-admiration. :D
HenriAugusto
KVRist

66 posts since 1 Sep, 2012

Postby HenriAugusto; Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 am

The metal demo sounds great. Also, i'm the only one a bit surprised that somebody here is into Carnifex? :hihi:

Thanks a lot for the great freebies you've been releasing! =)
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21215 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 am

chokehold
KVRAF

Postby chokehold; Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 am

What's wrong with Carnifex? That's just the first band name that came to mind, I listen to (and make) some noise that's a lot worse. :)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries