MuLab & MUX: What's Next

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elassi wrote:
Trancit wrote:So so...dass das hier keiner missversteht!!! 8)
It's of course dealing with the dancefloor feeling. :uhuhuh: 8)
That's what I thought... :hihi:

A Save Preset button for VSTs would be nice, it only seems to exist for Mulab's own presets.
(Maybe it is already possible via shortcuts, but since I already have so many shortcuts, (for instance for changing keyboard languages in Windows etc.) I try to avoid additional shortcuts, but also because I sometimes produce shortcuts without intention and knowing it :D ).

Doubleclicking on a preset or VST (unfortunately VST presets are not shown in the browser, right?) in the browser in order to open a track and rack for it would be nice.

fluffy_little_something wrote:A Save Preset button for VSTs would be nice, it only seems to exist for Mulab's own presets.
It's there! At the top of the VST editor.

mutools wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:A Save Preset button for VSTs would be nice, it only seems to exist for Mulab's own presets.
It's there! At the top of the VST editor.
Did you add it in the very latest build? :)

I still have the previous build and there only is a Save As button, which means that after editing a patch I have to click at least 5 times and scroll: the Save As button > the Save Program option > scrolling > the existing preset name > OK > OK (for overwriting).

Ah, ok i see what you mean. Indeed only a "Save As", not a "Save". Ok, taken note on the global wishlist. (not yet on the next version worklist as that was already defined)

My feature requests are probably the same as the last time this discussion came up.

The small things:

- marquee selection of modules in the mux view to delete, copy or move multiple modules.

- the option to hear a note when it is moved in the midi editor. Not sure why this is still not there, since it is in every other piano roll editor out there.

- custom mouse/modifier key bindings for the midi editor ala Reaper. I a not a fan of ctrl click to lay down a note, but I am sure some like this. Adding customisation options keep everyone happy!

- the midi loop recording in Mulab is the weakest area for me. Currently if you loop record some midi, it will not show up or play back until you hit stop, which makes it quite useless. Then if you go to play over the top of this you get a dialogue box asking to merge, which makes it even clunkier. Try loop recording a drum groove into Mulab and you will find it impossible to do. Programming a groove with the mouse is fine for some, but I like to play it in by hand most of the time.

The larger things:

- ability to group several modules into either a "container box" for visual clarity and the ability to subnest modules into one module. Hard to describe, but anyone used to a nodal compositor would know what I am talking about. It is mostly for organisational purposes.

An example would be in Blender's compositor, which has frame nodes and group nodes:

http://code.blender.org/index.php/2012/ ... e-editing/

- Would love to have a zoomable/scalable mux view. With all the high dpi and small laptop screens, those modules can be darned small. I have noticed that the module input/output ports have grown huge lately, but I would like to see more of the node and less of the port :)

- A dockable midi editor would also really help the clutter on small screens. I am not a bug fan of lots of floating windows, so the new dockable browser was a great step forward. Would be nice to have the option of docking the midi editor and mux as well!

Really big things:

- The browser and muclips are a great new addition. A logical extension of ths would be to turn it into a "session" style view ala Live/Bitwig. The fundamentals seem there already, as if you click between muclips in the browser it is in sync with the timeline playing. Adding even a simple record mode where you can fire off clips from the browser that get added to the timeline would be useful. As well as being able to record clips straight into the browser and general adding more non linear features.

Anyway, thanks to Jo for making some great improvements over the last few years, and I look forward to seeing it grow further 8)

zendorf wrote:custom mouse/modifier key bindings for the midi editor ala Reaper. I a not a fan of ctrl click to lay down a note, but I am sure some like this.
Just FYI: You can also double-click to draw a new note.
ability to group several modules into either a "container box" for visual clarity and the ability to subnest modules into one module. Hard to describe, but anyone used to a nodal compositor would know what I am talking about. It is mostly for organisational purposes.
You can group modules in a MUX, then you can group MUXes (and other modules) in a super MUX, and so on. So it's there, i think. Or do you mean something else?

As always, i didn't reply on each & every item, though i read all. Thanks for your interesting feedback.

zendorf wrote:- A dockable midi editor would also really help the clutter on small screens. I am not a bug fan of lots of floating windows, so the new dockable browser was a great step forward. Would be nice to have the option of docking the midi editor and mux as well!
I shall +1 this one :). Working in Visual Studio with everything dockable either as a separate docked panel or tabbed within an existing one is a really nice way to work and get comfortable with the environment you're in. Along with the auto-hide/show... (I'm usually very scathing of MS, but VS is a very nice IDE. Having a DAW that nice would be great!)

+1 too. Tabs are gooood! :lol:

mutools wrote:
ability to group several modules into either a "container box" for visual clarity and the ability to subnest modules into one module. Hard to describe, but anyone used to a nodal compositor would know what I am talking about. It is mostly for organisational purposes.
You can group modules in a MUX, then you can group MUXes (and other modules) in a super MUX, and so on. So it's there, i think. Or do you mean something else?
I would think of something like Reaktor macros, which would be useable in the Polysynth too...
So I would vote for this feature, to have the ability to make a ready filter combination in a box, saveable (if possible) and ready to be inserted in any synth...

mutools wrote:
zendorf wrote:custom mouse/modifier key bindings for the midi editor ala Reaper. I a not a fan of ctrl click to lay down a note, but I am sure some like this.
Just FYI: You can also double-click to draw a new note.

If you have to double click to lay down a note, then this becomes twice the amount of work to lay down your notes. I would prefer the option of single click to lay down a note/ double click to delete a note and right click/drag to marquee select. Currently in Mulab, you have to mouse over the end of the note to get the pen icon before you can do a double click delete, which is tedious, especially on longer length notes (whole notes, half notes etc). Would be quicker to be able to double click anywhere on the note to delete.

Granted , what I have described above is the default way of editing in Reaper, which I think works very well as there is no need for modifier keys. On the other hand, some users may love the Mulab default, so by having the option for custom mouse/hotkey bindings everyone can be happy :)

This ties in with my desire for Mulab to work better on a tablet with a stylus. The clean UI and uncluttered workflow of Mulab fits the tablet paradigm quite nicely, but needs some additional tweaks like less reliance on modifier keys and less floating windows to be fully usable in that form factor. With the massive growth and release of cheaper 8" and 10" Win8.1 tablets being released, there is a real need for a portable DAW that caters to that market....no devs are currently taking it seriously and tend to be preferring the massively over saturated ipad market. I would love to be able to use Mulab on one of the new Dell Venue tablets for creating on the run!

The grouping idea I was trying to describe is twofold. One is to add something like the existing group frame functionality that is in the front panel, but in the mux view. Imagine being able to set up a group frame box in the mux, add a colour and label and then drag modules inside. This is purely for organisational purposes and to make the mux more readable. Would also be nice to have the modules inside this frame move along with the frame. Likewise it would be nice to have the parameter knobs on the front panels move when the group frames are moved.

The other grouping idea, I was alluding to was being able to multi select several modules and then collapse these into a single mux that is all hooked up how you would expect into the exsiting mux. Currently , the workflow would be to add a blank mux, copy and paste each module you want into this new mux and wire them up, then delete the old modules and wire the new mux into the exisiting flow. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it can be done.

For my needs, the Mux has great functionality and sound quality. It is just lacking in some UI and workflow niceties. I tend to work in a lot of nodal compositing and 3d apps, so I am used to a certain level of control and automation. In the mux, if I added a new module and moved it over the top of an existing audio cable I would expect it to auto connect , rather than having to manually hook everything up. Likewise, when deleting a module, I would expect it to auto connect between the outer 2 modules. Currently deleting a cable or module while always bring up a confirmation prompt, which can really slow you down when deleting multiple modules. Would be much nicer to multi select and then hit delete once, with no prompt. Then ideally you would be able to hit undo if that was a mistake, but that would imply there being undo functionality :)

Apologies for my wall of text, I just wanted to be clear about my thoughts on these issues!

Excellent points, agreed...

zendorf wrote:If you have to double click to lay down a note, then this becomes twice the amount of work to lay down your notes. I would prefer the option of single click to lay down a note/ double click to delete a note and right click/drag to marquee select. Currently in Mulab, you have to mouse over the end of the note to get the pen icon before you can do a double click delete, which is tedious, especially on longer length notes (whole notes, half notes etc). Would be quicker to be able to double click anywhere on the note to delete.
What makes MuLab's Pianoroll a fast composing tool for me (my main DAW is Reaper) is the right click drag function which allows me to move around quite rapidly. I use the same system in Reaper which has a strange conflict with Mq select and single click note input: can't hear the note at the same time.
So, even Reaper, with all the custom setups, can't manage it all. Not an easy implementation in order to make everyone happy.
Still on demo, but getting used to it....
It's simplicity is attractive for relaxing work.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

My top three requests are

Displaying ghost notes as described by Trancit except when you alt click a ghost note it goes to that sequence that the ghost note belongs to, as implemented in Podium.

As well as a M button for mute and S button for solo , a switchable W button that overlays a wave file over the midi notes would be handy. As implemented in Podium.

One of the reasons I use Sibelius 7 is that I can use boomwhacker colors which colors each note of the scale. It makes it a lot easier to see what is going on harmonically.

jo,

main things i'd like changed are:

when recording sequence parts i'd like to see the notes as they are recorded and be able to edit etc rather than having to stop and name the sequence before i can do anything.

destructive edits when splitting sequence parts;if i split a part i don't want to see the other half of the sequence part when i go to edit it in the editor. it's wasted space. hearing the pitch of notes as i move them around in the editor would be useful also

addition of a button in the sequence player module to allow sync at the beginning of the next beat or bar rather than on note on.

i've been using Reactable on my tablet a lot recently and it gives interesting visual feedback of looping of samples etc. makes me wonder about the possibility of a loop player in mulab with something similar. in general it is a refreshingly different approach to the way the user interacts with it and may be worth a look for inspiration when considering possible visual feedback for users of mulab. tablet version of mulab mibbe?

mulab is still the first software i load up when i'm writing music, so all the work that goes into its development is appreciated!

Return to “MUTOOLS”