Spectral 32/64 bit shared data?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Congratulations on Spectral! A very welcome addition to my workplace. And actually my first Linplug vsti. :)

I use both 32 and 64 bit execs in W7-64 and I was wondering if there are any plans to centralize and make the data common between the two?

Some devs are using "Documents" as a shared data store between versions and I think it's a great idea because it prevents data duplication, makes it easy to backup, makes new presets available to both versions, and avoids any permission issues in Windows. For your consideration.

I'd rather suggest using symbolic links in the x86 folder pointing to the x64 folder.

In fact, you might try doing that yourself.

EvilDragon wrote:I'd rather suggest using symbolic links in the x86 folder pointing to the x64 folder.

In fact, you might try doing that yourself.
Thanks, but is the data identical? I'll wait for confirmation. ;)

I would assume it is.

The file sizes are identical down to the byte so I tried Symlinks and then discovered you don't even have to use them: copy the Spectral and Microtuning folders out of the default locations and put them where you want them (in my case: User\My Documents\Linplug\) then just launch Spectral, go to the setup page, and set up the default preset by navigating to the new location. Do this for both versions. That sets the new default folders, done. You also have to load a new TUN file to reset the Microtuning folder.

I had some problems with Chainer in 32-bit, but other 32-bit hosts seem ok.

BTW, when I tried to rename a symlink (thinking to temporarily disable it), it looked like it was starting some long-winded task. So I tried to deleted it and it froze, ended up crashing explorer and after a few minutes actually BSOD'ed W7! That's the first time I restarted my computer in months... One of the reasons I much prefer to have the dev handle this.

Should have read the FM... ;)

Thanks for jumping in EvilDragon, as 32 bit is clearly running out I not think we will make any further efforts in getting things together. However, we've been pondering the Documents folder for some time already, this may come at some point.

Actually if you do go the Documents folder route, please make it optional for those who use only one version (for me, it's 64-bit only) to still be able to put the data folder anywhere we want - in the VST folder by default, just like it is working right now (my VST folder is directly on C, I don't use Program Files for it).

Yes, sure. If (!) we install to Documents at some point, it would still be moveable like now

Awesome. :)

EvilDragon wrote:(my VST folder is directly on C, I don't use Program Files for it).
So are mine. But I try to keep all my presets from all my synths and plugins in the Documents folder (all my manuals too) because it makes it a centralized location that I can back up easily. This is on my DAW machine which has hardly any other doc types, so it's 95% production docs. It's a lot lighter than backing up all the presets AND the dlls and other related files in the VST folders. I think it's a smart idea, but I agree that having the option to put them where you want is best.

Return to “LinPlug”