Free EXS24 to SFZ format converter, details inside *updated*

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. Here is a crude but functional tool for converting EXS24 sample libraries to the SFZ format.

UPDATE * UPDATE * UPDATE * UPDATE * UPDATE

I just pushed an updated version which should be much better. Download is at the same address, here: Download here: https://bitbucket.org/vonred/exstosfz/s ... at=default (use 'save link as' on the raw button).

This adds multiple outputs, and fixes combinations of round robin samples and choke groups. Correct operation of choke groups requires an sfz 2.0 compatible player, Sforzando is a nice one.

UPDATE END * UPDATE END * UPDATE END * UPDATE END

Might work. Might awaken some forgotten trickster goddess and lure her to your computer. Enjoy. Download here: https://bitbucket.org/vonred/exstosfz/s ... at=default Needs Python 3, download that here: http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.3.3/

Code: Select all

C:\folder\exs2sfz>python exs2sfz.py
Usage: exs2sfz.py EXSfile.exs SFZfile.sfz [samplefolder]

the samplefoler argument is optional; if not specified, the program will
    attempt to locate the samples by searching folders surrounding the exs file
It can convert libraries using pitch and volume tuning, choke groups from drum libaries, round-robin samples, release-triggered samples, velocity layering, and ofcourse looped samples along with other details. It will search for the samples near the .exs file and use relative paths, so the resulting .sfz file is a drop-in replacement.

But be warned: it does not deal with multiple outputs or many other things and has received only limited testing. Hasn't been tested on OS X, but should work.
Last edited by vonRed on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for this, vonRed. I've been considering doing some stuff with SFZ, and this might make things a lot easier. 8)

Fantastic.

Another way to pirate sound library and IP! :roll:

hollowsun wrote:Fantastic.

I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable about sfz, but it doesn't seem like converting libraries from EXS to SFZ (or Kontakt to EXS to SFZ) for piracy purposes would be very practical. Wouldn't any scripting have to be recreated to work within the sfz methodology? That seems like a whole bunch of work. I don't see why a pirate would bother, although again, I'm not very knowledgeable about sfz, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

For me, I like the idea of a relatively easy conversion to sfz, because sfz players are free, so it opens up a market to people who don't want to buy Kontakt. Although my understanding is that sfz libraries can't be very complex. No RealiBanjo pattern player or custom graphics, for instance.

The point about intellectual property stands. If a set of sounds is licensed for use with a particular player, overcoming any restriction put in place by the licensor to enforce this term can clearly be seen as encouragement to violate the licence.

Automated conversions generally stink, too, which tends to make people think less of SFZ as a format, which is also a bad thing.

hollowsun wrote:Fantastic.

pljones wrote:The point about intellectual property stands. If a set of sounds is licensed for use with a particular player, overcoming any restriction put in place by the licensor to enforce this term can clearly be seen as encouragement to violate the licence.
Uh, what!? How would that even work? Is it only OK for commercial samplers to import stuff?

So, to state the bloody obvious, no, it's not a tool for pirating anything. It's not intended for that and it can't be used for that. And it makes me really f**king sad that that's apparently the only thing people think when they notice this thread.

I made something that allows people to use legally freely available sample libraries or things they made themselves with other, also legally freely available software. That is all.
Automated conversions generally stink, too, which tends to make people think less of SFZ as a format, which is also a bad thing.
And the results of this converter aren't always pretty, either. But they seem to work fine, and at the very least it saves you from having to type the details for each sample.

I'm only making the point about IP being valid. Of course, if it's used legitimately, there isn't an issue. That's just the way life is. You can't not sell knives because people get stabbed -- that doesn't make stabbing people OK, though.
at the very least it saves you from having to type the details for each sample.
If it can get at least some details, then it's definitely better than nothing. Even something "simple", like the volume a sample is played at when triggered at a particular velocity is pretty hard to work out, sometimes, though -- if you can parse the source format to work this out, it's a huge help.

pljones wrote:I'm only making the point about IP being valid. Of course, if it's used legitimately, there isn't an issue. That's just the way life is. You can't not sell knives because people get stabbed -- that doesn't make stabbing people OK, though.
I understand. The chef's knife in my kitchen can easily be turned into a highly effective murder weapon, yet noone suggests outlawing it. Applying similar reasoning to software results in what I actually think can be a valid discussion -- is the usefulness of a piece of software to break the law incidental or its raison d'être. It's just that that doesn't seem to even apply to my tool at all -- it can't help you do anything illegal, nor does it do anything you couldn't otherwise do.

If it can get at least some details, then it's definitely better than nothing. Even something "simple", like the volume a sample is played at when triggered at a particular velocity is pretty hard to work out, sometimes, though -- if you can parse the source format to work this out, it's a huge help.[/quote]
That's my low bar, and that should just work. That said, there are surely bugs, and some features aren't implemented. I hope to get some feedback so that I can fix that and provide a working conversion for libraries that don't use filters, etc.

SFZ is much easier to program in than EXS24. Plus, if you (legally) have EXS24 files you likely have Logic anyway. It seems for the most part this convertor would be for grabbing Apple's factory sounds that you may not own and using them in another player. Free convertors are usually for obtaining free sounds, whether they are meant to be free or not.

(Disclaimer: I work for Chicken Systems www.chickensys.com whose Translator software does EXS->SFZ Mac and Win perfectly, been available for the last 7-8 years, so this isn't anything new.)

Just my opinion...
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote:this isn't anything new
No. Never said it was, either. But it does have the interesting attribute of being free/open source software, and that part is new.

vonRed wrote:
chickeneps wrote:this isn't anything new
No. Never said it was, either. But it does have the interesting attribute of being free/open source software, and that part is new.
maybe he's pissed off that yours is free? :lol:
thanx for the tool btw..
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I don't feel that way, that would be petty. The question is "what would this be used for?" No one creates sounds within EXS24, it's hardly the tool of choice for constructing instruments.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

So why support it in Translator then ?
Some very silly comments in this thread.
Lets ban water because you can drown in it, grow up people.
Duh

bungle wrote:So why support it in Translator then?
It just happens to. Translator has a matrix of about 60 formats to convert to and from. It converts from EXS24 to any other format, and converts into SFZ from any other format. Translator isn't written only to convert EXS->SFZ.
bungle wrote:Some very silly comments in this thread. Lets ban water because you can drown in it.
I don't recall anyone calling to ban it. I and some others were just questioning the purpose of it. I would talk to the writer privately, but he left no contact address.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote:I don't feel that way, that would be petty. The question is "what would this be used for?" No one creates sounds within EXS24, it's hardly the tool of choice for constructing instruments.
This guy does: http://www.9soundware.com. He continues to sell them and I've happily imported a couple into Kontakt.

There are also a lot of legacy sound libraries written for EXS24 that people might have from before the time Apple dumped PC support for Logic.

So I really don't see the point of your interjection.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”