CONCISE BITWIG FEATURE REQUEST

Official support for: bitwig.com

What features would you like to see in Bitwig?

SPECTRUM ANALYSER IN THE EQ
23%
MORE EQ POINTS/ADDABLE EQ POINTS
10%
MORE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS/ADDABLE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS IN MULTIBAND FX-2
5%
AUDITION NOTES WHILE INSERTING THEM
10%
ABILITY TO MUTE AND SOLO INDIVIDUAL CLIPS AND NOTES
10%
A CROSSFADER FOR DJING
4%
LARGE/POP-OUT SAMPLE EDIT WINDOW FOR THE SAMPLER
11%
AUTOMATION-LIKE MODULATOR
8%
GLOBAL MACRO
6%
EVERYTHING AUTOMATION-ABLE
13%

Total votes: 374

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

CONCISE BITWIG FEATURE REQUEST

THIS EXCLUDES FEATURES (SUCH AS BETTER PLUGIN DELAY COMPENSATION) THAT THE BITWIG TEAM IS ALREADY ADDRESSING/HAS ALREADY ANNOUNCED THEY ARE ADDRESSING, OR BUG FIXES (POSSIBLY SOMEONE COULD START AN OFFICIAL BUG THREAD)

TICK THE POLL FOR FEATURES YOU WANT TO SEE, OR ADD A REQUEST IF THE FEATURE HAS NOT YET BEEN REQUESTED

RULES/GUIDELINES:

1. ENSURE TO READ THE POLL AND THROUGH THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING A REQUEST (INCASE THE FEATURE HAS JUST RECENTLY BEEN REQUESTED, BUT NOT YET ADDED TO THE POLL, THIS SAVES EVERYONE TIME AND KEEPS THE THREAD CONCISE)

2. ONLY POST FEATURE REQUESTS OR EXPLAIN THAT A FEATURE ALREADY EXISTS IF IT HAS BEEN REQUESTED AND NOT YET EXPLAINED/POINTED OUT (PREFERABLY AS CONCISELY AS POSSIBLE, OR BY PROVIDING A LINK TO A THREAD/SITE/POST/SUGGEST MANUAL PAGE, ETC)

3. WHEN POSTING REQUESTS, BEGIN WITH CONCISE AND AS EXPLANATORY AS POSSIBLE TITLE (IN CAPITALS), SUCH AS: "SPECTRUM ANALYSER IN THE EQ", FOLLOWED BY FURTHER DETAILED EXPLANATION OF WHY IT'S IMPORTANT/USEFUL, HOW IT WOULD WORK, WHY IT SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED/ALL THE OTHER DETAILS, SUCH AS: - A spectrum analyser included in the eq (as in logic and other eqs) allows for easier eq edits/crafting in general, but, in particular is useful for adjusting frequencies that may not be in the monitors frequency response/range.
Last edited by Wuji on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SPECTRUM ANALYSER IN THE EQ - A spectrum analyser included in the eq (as in logic and other eqs) allows for easier eq edits/crafting in general, but, in particular is useful for adjusting frequencies that may not be in the monitors frequency response/range.

MORE EQ POINTS/ADDABLE EQ POINTS - More points/potential points in the EQ (8 or 10). To allow for more precise crafting of eq.

MORE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS/ADDABLE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS IN MULTIBAND FX-2 - Freq splitting idea here is brilliant, but, 3, or even 4 points, or, addable points would be very useful (example, for high, mid, bass, sub).

AUDITION NOTES WHILE INSERTING THEM - As far as I know all other DAWs have this, and I can't see a reason not too. You want to hear the note you're inserting while you do it. At least to have the option would be good.

ABILITY TO MUTE AND SOLO INDIVIDUAL CLIPS AND NOTES - Ability to mute (and possibly solo?) individual notes and clips/events (as in other daws) with just pressing M and S or some other command. This is useful when you are constructing/editing/changing stuff and want to see where old stuff was, or just want to quickly mute/solo a specific event/note.

A CROSSFADER FOR DJING - Easier than automation, helps with djing, what DAWs such as bitwig and ableton are partly built for.

LARGE/POP-OUT SAMPLER WINDOW FOR THE SAMPLER - Large sample window (for example like the one in renoise), or pop out/adjustable sample window for readjusting sample start/end points and loops points, etc, for the sampler/drum machine.

AUTOMATION-LIKE MODULATOR - An additional modulator that you can draw in, just as you can the normal automation (with the options for curves and step input [with pencil tool + alt), exactly the same in all ways, potentially limitless size just like normal automation, but that you can assign/use as a modulator, for group/quick/multi modulation.

GLOBAL MACRO - I'm probably missing this one/it probably exists already (tell me where if so), but a global, non instrument/fx specific macro controller. Additionally, addable (potentially limitless) macros would/could be nice.

EVERYTHING AUTOMATION-ABLE - Everything automatable/modulatable: For example like loop on and loop off in the sampler. Nothing off limits, everything automation-able, and modulation-able. Perhaps there's a deep programming reason why this isn't done, but, why put any limits/constraints?
Macbook pro, mid 2012
OSX 10.8.5
Bitwig 1.0.10 (not yet using with any other DAW as I can't get Jack working)
Logic 9.1.8, Renoise 3.0, NI KU8

(mods, can we get this as a sticky? + is there a way to have it so that it's editable by more than one person?)
Macbook pro, mid 2012
OSX 10.8.5

RENAMING OF INSTRUMENT LAYERS AND FX LAYERS - for example: when layering 3 polysynths in the Instrument Layer container, they are all named "Polysynth". This can quickly get confusing when making multiple adjustments to each layer. Being able to rename them "Top, Mid, Low" would avoid confusion and be a huge workflow improvement.

Afable702 wrote:RENAMING OF INSTRUMENT LAYERS AND FX LAYERS - for example: when layering 3 polysynths in the Instrument Layer container, they are all named "Polysynth". This can quickly get confusing when making multiple adjustments to each layer. Being able to rename them "Top, Mid, Low" would avoid confusion and be a huge workflow improvement.
You can do it ....select the instrument and then cmd-R (on mac) ....I guess it is ctrl-R on win ....

Right, so, I just added the above to the poll (and now i've just seen that you can already do it as highlighted by Jolaff), and it seems all the previous votes have gone. To the mods/anyone, can we get them back? Is there a way to stop that from happening?
Macbook pro, mid 2012
OSX 10.8.5

Add a text box…
Jared F

You can do it ....select the instrument and then cmd-R (on mac) ....I guess it is ctrl-R on win ....[/quote]

Thanks! Did not see it in the context menu and assumed it wasn't possible. That's what I get for assuming.

111jono111 wrote:SPECTRUM ANALYSER IN THE EQ - A spectrum analyser included in the eq (as in logic and other eqs) allows for easier eq edits/crafting in general, but, in particular is useful for adjusting frequencies that may not be in the monitors frequency response/range.

MORE EQ POINTS/ADDABLE EQ POINTS - More points/potential points in the EQ (8 or 10). To allow for more precise crafting of eq.

MORE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS/ADDABLE FREQUENCY SPLIT POINTS IN MULTIBAND FX-2 - Freq splitting idea here is brilliant, but, 3, or even 4 points, or, addable points would be very useful (example, for high, mid, bass, sub).

AUDITION NOTES WHILE INSERTING THEM - As far as I know all other DAWs have this, and I can't see a reason not too. You want to hear the note you're inserting while you do it. At least to have the option would be good.

ABILITY TO MUTE AND SOLO INDIVIDUAL CLIPS AND NOTES - Ability to mute (and possibly solo?) individual notes and clips/events (as in other daws) with just pressing M and S or some other command. This is useful when you are constructing/editing/changing stuff and want to see where old stuff was, or just want to quickly mute/solo a specific event/note.

A CROSSFADER FOR DJING - Easier than automation, helps with djing, what DAWs such as bitwig and ableton are partly built for.

LARGE/POP-OUT SAMPLER WINDOW FOR THE SAMPLER - Large sample window (for example like the one in renoise), or pop out/adjustable sample window for readjusting sample start/end points and loops points, etc, for the sampler/drum machine.

AUTOMATION-LIKE MODULATOR - An additional modulator that you can draw in, just as you can the normal automation (with the options for curves and step input [with pencil tool + alt), exactly the same in all ways, potentially limitless size just like normal automation, but that you can assign/use as a modulator, for group/quick/multi modulation.

GLOBAL MACRO - I'm probably missing this one/it probably exists already (tell me where if so), but a global, non instrument/fx specific macro controller. Additionally, addable (potentially limitless) macros would/could be nice.

EVERYTHING AUTOMATION-ABLE - Everything automatable/modulatable: For example like loop on and loop off in the sampler. Nothing off limits, everything automation-able, and modulation-able. Perhaps there's a deep programming reason why this isn't done, but, why put any limits/constraints?
Translation:

I want Ableton Live.

111jono111 wrote:SPECTRUM ANALYSER IN THE EQ - A spectrum analyser included in the eq (as in logic and other eqs) allows for easier eq edits/crafting in general, but, in particular is useful for adjusting frequencies that may not be in the monitors frequency response/range.

Translation:

I want Ableton Live.

i think these are great feature ideas
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

Sorry, who are you again?

No offense, but this is a poor format.

What needs to happen instead of this kind of thing is an official support stance and setup from Bitwig themselves.

A: agreed, I'd like to see Bitwig setup something similar. But seeming as there isn't yet something, I thought it might catch on/would make sense to put this together, as, there are threads and threads of people all saying the same thing, and posts and posts of people repeating the same features with different words, and, it just makes sense to put it together in this way, for everyone.

B: it would arguably be the most efficient format for everyone involved if the guidelines were adhered to (the opposite of poor); this way all feature requests would be/are noted, though none are repeated whilst at the same time preference/support for the requests is rated. I'm willing to hear other suggestions if you have any for a more efficient, succinct yet thorough approach?

I was just going to send a load of feature requests to bitwig, or just add them to the list on here, either starting a new thread or to one of the existing ones, but thought of attempting to put something more concise together, as, reading through pages of posts repeating themselves, or in the case of any developers, emails/messages, just seems painfully inefficient, and I would assume that everyone would think similarly.

I opened the question here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5704843

Though, it seems it hasn't taken off, it hasn't been turned into a sticky and the guys at bitwig haven't replied, so, fair enough, I'm sure they're busy, I was just trying to save everyone some time.
Macbook pro, mid 2012
OSX 10.8.5

FOR SURE ONE CAN WRITE A WHOLE POST IN UPPER CASE,
claim for concision,
expect other people to follow with other (humble) features ideas,
forget any introduction to the topic,
and ask a mod to make it sticky.

Anyway, good ideas, thanks you for your participation !
:wink:
Music

HM, NOT SURE I'M FOLLOWING ALL THESE BIG LETTERS - THEY MAKE MY HEAD HURT ;-)

You can mute selected notes already in the inspector (the "M" button).
You can mute a whole clip in the clip launcher and arranger, again in the inspector.
I agree with shortcuts, but that doesn't really kill me here ;-)

Note auditioning improvements are already worked on as far as I understood it?

The sampler already has a large pop out sample edit window here (for multisamples)? Not sure what's missing? If you need it, you can make a single sample into a multisample... (right mouse, convert to multisample).

You can already build that automation like modulator: Automate a macro knob of a container device at the front of your chain (with everything else nested inside) to your hearts content and assign that to whatever you like...?

This could also be the solution for your global macro too maybe? Although it's not app-global, only track-global.

Everything modulate-able doesn't make sense in every case. The sampler already has performance controls for sample start, loop start and loop lenght, but having it for each and every sample in a multisample would be rather awkward. IMO it makes sense to have a "setup position" for these things (setting the way they start out to be) and then modulate that.
Otherwise it could become rather confusing. And of course there is a difference in CPU for things that can be modulated

The EQ stuff is nice-to-have but there are so many 3rd party EQs out there, I can hardly see this as pressing.

The A-B sliders are a more pragmatic decision I guess: What the Bitwig Teams views on that are would be interesting. Were they left out on purpose for some specific reason or just seen as less vital.
(I personally never used them in my 8 years of Ableton Live usage, so I didn't even notice).

I am totally for progress and improvements, but I think I'm content with small letters and first want to learn all there is to learn about what's there already... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Bitwig”