Request - please make nki's backwards-compatible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi have Kontakt 3.
You have Kontakt 4 - or 5. Or whatever version you're willing to pay for.
I get it.
But every time I install or download an .nki package, only to be greeted with 'this nki was created using a later version of blah blah blah blah f'n blah' I just think, this is an obsolete format. You should be using sfz, if you can't guarantee backwards compatibility with older versions of your sampler that people have paid for, in the misconception that it will or may be relevant at some point in the future.
The alternative is to expect every single one of your users to upgrade to the latest ver of konakt at every available opportunity, which just isn't a win-win in terms of both developers and customers.
So please.
Make a backwards-compatible version of your library.
Or use sfz.
It's a better format anyway.
End rant.

The term is "forward compatibilty" not backwards, meaning that you can play a preset made with a younger version on an older version of any given software, confusing I know...

While some new libraries could be made to work with kontakt 3, there's a lot that make use of newer features and capabilities of kontakt 4 + 5 and are better for it. If you don't want to upgrade, that's your choice, but you can't fairly expect developers to continue producing libraries that are no better than what was available 5 years ago.

If you don't want to upgrade or get that message regarding 'this library requires a newer version of kontakt' check the systems requirements before purchasing. They'll usually say 'this library requires the full version of kontakt 4.x.x to run' or something similar.

Hi have Kontakt 3.
You have Kontakt 4 - or 5. Or whatever version you're willing to pay for.
I get it.
exactly that.you have what you was willing to pay for. question: why you buy a kontakt4 library and start to rant that it don't work with your kontakt3? what's next? kontakt 1.5 compatibility?
But every time I install or download an .nki package, only to be greeted with 'this nki was created using a later version of blah blah blah blah f'n blah' I just think, this is an obsolete format.
of course it's an obsolete format for new libraries we now have kontakt5
You should be using sfz, if you can't guarantee backwards compatibility with older versions of your sampler that people have paid for, in the misconception that it will or may be relevant at some point in the future.
while .sfz is a fine format by itself no dev can be forced to guarantee forward compatibilty (how one earth this could work anyway?). if you not willing to upgrade you can use kontakt3 libraries (yep, that what you had paid for) and if you have kontakt4 you can't rant that kontakt5 libraries don't work. that's pretty normal i would say.
The alternative is to expect every single one of your users to upgrade to the latest ver of konakt at every available opportunity, which just isn't a win-win in terms of both developers and customers.
no, you can upgrade to kontakt4 for a kontakt4 library and don't need the latest (which is kontakt5 atm).
So please.
Make a backwards-compatible version of your library.
Or use sfz.
End rant.
like simon pointed out it's forward compatibility and thats why it's not possible to guarantee compatibility (and not needed anyway since kontakt3 librarys work with your kontakt3). again, you misunderstood the fact that you bought kontakt3 and assume that kontakt4/5 libraries have to work with it. if it's easier for your understanding think of it as a complete different product.
.sfz as alternative to a kontakt 4/5 library is funny to say at least.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Sampleconstruct wrote:The term is "forward compatibilty" not backwards, meaning that you can play a preset made with a younger version on an older version of any given software, confusing I know...
He's talking about wanting new nki's to work in older versions of kontakt. He's asking for backwards compatability.

Kriminal wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:The term is "forward compatibilty" not backwards, meaning that you can play a preset made with a younger version on an older version of any given software, confusing I know...
He's talking about wanting new nki's to work in older versions of kontakt. He's asking for backwards compatability.
You're wrong.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
You're wrong.

Really? Thats how ive always seen it written. Care to explain?

Edit: it makes sense too, if something new works with something old, its 'backwards' compatible... if you want to make a present project future proof, you make it fwd compatible.
Last edited by Kriminal on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon's right.
Backward compatibility = old nkis read by newer versions of Kontakt.
Forward compatibility = new nkis read by older versions of Kontakt.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Its too early for me....

Karten wrote:Simon's right.
Backward compatibility = old nkis read by newer versions of Kontakt.
Forward compatibility = new nkis read by older versions of Kontakt.
and to make it even more clearer:

forward compatible: compatible with the future, most software isn't (Absynth used to be, MachFive is, it will just skip the new features added in a newer version and load the preset)

backward compatible: compatible with the past (most software is, except for e.g. iZotope stuff where you can't load version 1 presets in version 2+ (e.g. Ozone, Trash and more)

Doesnt sound right to me, but i'll take your word for it.

Simon is right.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

delete
Last edited by murnau on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Kriminal wrote:Doesnt sound right to me, but i'll take your word for it.
Simon's right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_compatibility
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_compatibility
metamorphosis wrote:Or use sfz.
No scripting. So it's not a better format. Case closed.

Whats the diff between a kontakt script and an sfz text file? (Ive never used kontakt)

Return to “Instruments”