Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Thank you. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

sprnva wrote:... four DX7 patches from Brian Eno ...
Hey, thanks for these ! I used them a lot in my hardware days, programmed into a TX802. Nice to have 'em again.

Best,

dp

This synth is a gem, but unfortunately I am encountering a bug when I export Dexed-containing songs in FL Studio 11 and 12. Most of the notes from Dexed instruments are out of sync in the mp3 or wav, but in the program they sound fine. Here's an example with download links

how it sounds in FL Studio (Dexed is in sync with the drums)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/62bx3ojpt ... proper.mp3

how it sounds in the render (Dexed is out of sync)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ik1e83v0y ... f_sync.mp3

I don't understand how no one else seems to be having this problem considering that a lot of other people are using Dexed with Fl Studio. perhaps I have some export setting engaged that causes the plugin's notes to quantize to such a low frequency. I've tried various settings, with no avail. I've tried the latest version as well as a version from a couple years ago, same results. a shame since this is one of the best sounding freeware synths I've heard

And no other plugins show this behaviour on export? Because if it plays correctly in live mode but can't render it that way, that would sound more like a bug in FL Studio to me.

Does it only happen with multiple instances in the same project? I think I once had a problem like that in Cubase (not with Dexed), but can't remember exactly since it was a while ago.

pilotredsun wrote:This synth is a gem, but unfortunately I am encountering a bug when I export Dexed-containing songs in FL Studio 11 and 12. Most of the notes from Dexed instruments are out of sync in the mp3 or wav, but in the program they sound fine. Here's an example with download links
Next time upload .flp file as well (if you have persistent problem with plugin) so that someone else can check it too. I myself never had problems with Dexed and I'm FLS12 user too.
Maybe you switched off Plugin Delay Compensation in Mixer which should be set to automatic and there is also another option in the export window under Miscellaneous "Trim PDC compensation".

I messed around by turning it off and on and trying different settings and every time I exported the file Dexed was is sync.
More about Plugin Delay Compensation in FLS:
https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... kprops.htm
PSS380 wrote:And no other plugins show this behaviour on export? Because if it plays correctly in live mode but can't render it that way, that would sound more like a bug in FL Studio to me.
I don't think so because I never had problems with Dexed in FLS.
Maybe he was screwing around with PDC settings or maybe even preset itself is causing some bug in Dexed.
Unless he uploads .flp file so that people can check his file themselves, we can only speculate because there are a lot of things to cover to find what's the real problem.

It appears I have fixed the rendering latency problem in FL Studio. Use Fixed Size Buffers was turned ON for my instances of Dexed, which messed Dexed up in the rendering. I turned it off and now Dexed behaves like it should. Now I see why there is a warning dialog when you try to toggle that setting. Not sure why I enabled it in the first place, I only do that with plugins that cause clicking in FL. Maybe that's what happened with an older version of Dexed (back when the GUI was smaller and brown-green), but I have the latest version and everything is fine now. Thank you for bringing to my attention the possibility of delay compensation being a factor. It wasn't exact cause of the problem, but it was related.

Now I can enjoy this amazing and lush plugin :)

Hi there

I recently purchased a Volca FM and just installed the great MIDI out mod by USBtribe. Now I made some attempts at backing up my Volca FM patches to Dexed. I also tried dumping them back to the Volca with a unique name - very important IMO not to lose track of all those copies of "Classical Guitar" you end up with otherwise. :wink: And of course I also tried sending some of the patches that come with Dexed to the Volca.

Result: Sending with name always works. Backing up to Dexed also seems to work - same sound in Dexed, great. When sending patches however, some don't sound the same on the Volca - to be expected, since it's not a real DX7.

What really puzzles me though is that some patches I created on the Volca, then dumped to Dexed (where they sound the same), sound a lot different when then dumped back to the Volca (to name or restore them). Even if the Volca lacks some functionality of the DX7, it should be able to receive its "own" patches again without changes?

Well, the result is that I now have one patch in the Volca that I backed up to Dexed successfully, but looks like I'll never be able to restore it to the Volca in case I delete it there. As a save maniac, this makes me a bit nervous... :wink: (Of course I could still use the audio backup method, but I bought the MIDI out to finally avoid that hassle.)

Maybe someone who really knows FM inside out could figure out by ear what parameters were changed if I posted the Sysex here?

Thanks!

EDIT: Figured it out myself. At least in that one sound, 3 ops were switched off in the version the Volca received from Dexed. I don't understand why - all ops are shown "on" in Dexed. So probably the Volca is to blame. Anyway, upon turning all ops back on again, the patch sounded exactly like it should. 8)

Tomorrow I'll check if switched off ops were also the reason for any other patches sounding different on the Volca.

PSS380 wrote:Hi there

I recently purchased a Volca FM and just installed the great MIDI out mod by USBtribe. Now I made some attempts at backing up my Volca FM patches to Dexed. I also tried dumping them back to the Volca with a unique name - very important IMO not to lose track of all those copies of "Classical Guitar" you end up with otherwise. :wink: And of course I also tried sending some of the patches that come with Dexed to the Volca.

Result: Sending with name always works. Backing up to Dexed also seems to work - same sound in Dexed, great. When sending patches however, some don't sound the same on the Volca - to be expected, since it's not a real DX7.

What really puzzles me though is that some patches I created on the Volca, then dumped to Dexed (where they sound the same), sound a lot different when then dumped back to the Volca (to name or restore them). Even if the Volca lacks some functionality of the DX7, it should be able to receive its "own" patches again without changes?

Well, the result is that I now have one patch in the Volca that I backed up to Dexed successfully, but looks like I'll never be able to restore it to the Volca in case I delete it there. As a save maniac, this makes me a bit nervous... :wink: (Of course I could still use the audio backup method, but I bought the MIDI out to finally avoid that hassle.)

Maybe someone who really knows FM inside out could figure out by ear what parameters were changed if I posted the Sysex here?

Thanks!

EDIT: Figured it out myself. At least in that one sound, 3 ops were switched off in the version the Volca received from Dexed. I don't understand why - all ops are shown "on" in Dexed. So probably the Volca is to blame. Anyway, upon turning all ops back on again, the patch sounded exactly like it should. 8)

Tomorrow I'll check if switched off ops were also the reason for any other patches sounding different on the Volca.
Hi,

This issue only occurs when you are sending only the program or with the 32 program bank ?

Also, what DAW are you using ?

Hi there

So far I have not tried sending whole banks, since I haven't completely filled one with my own sounds yet.

The DAW is Cubase 8.5 on Win7.

Thanks!

Hi all!

My name is Alex and I am from Germany. I heard the demo of Dexit and I was very entosiastic because of some sounds I love and loved before in 80s songs. I am a blind musician and have some problems to use Dexit, because there is no way to klick on the banks to load it into the synth. I have to use a screenreader and this software can not recognize graphical interfaces, accept with the OCR method, but this is very difficult. Is there some kind man who could help me in this case to reach the build in sounds via vst preset fxb or fxp files? That would be great. I am using Reaper, newest version, under Windows 10 X64. Thanks allot to all, who can help me.

Hallo Alex, I never used reaper, but that shouldn't be a problem. I think with skype and teamviewer we could get some things done. Call me abends 07131dann die 1245343.

Hi! Thanks for this offer, but I am afraid, that this is not that easy, because of many things, that I don't know. So now will follow a few ifs.
1. If Dexit has no usual dialogues, like opening files and no usual kontext menues, that I can load banks or manage presets, then it is very hard to work with TeamViewer, because I had to create too many so called "hotspots" to use Dexit's patch browser or what it is called. And I don't think, that the presets are ordered in a combo box, like windows uses it for its dialogues, and that is the problem.
2. If the presets are ordered in menues and there would be only one point to click at, that would be simple, then I only need one point to click at and go through the menues.

Short explanation: What are hot spots? In this case it is a point where the mouse is moved to and this position I can save to my screenreader to jump on it, when I need it. But in more cases it is not very handy, because one point opens a graphical interface with patches or some thing and then I have to create douzends of these spots, and this is not practicable. In case of patches ordered in a menu there would be only one point to klick at to activate the menu and this would be it. I hope, my explanation is understandable?

PSS380 wrote:What really puzzles me though is that some patches I created on the Volca, then dumped to Dexed (where they sound the same), sound a lot different when then dumped back to the Volca (to name or restore them). Even if the Volca lacks some functionality of the DX7, it should be able to receive its "own" patches again without changes?
Dexed doesn't send on/off for each operator because the plug in doesn't feature this. It also seems to send the wrong algorithm number and detune value (it's always 7). I haven't found any other differences yet, but sorting out those go a long way to getting sounds back to what you expect.

Flash109 wrote:Hi! Thanks for this offer, but I am afraid, that this is not that easy, because of many things, that I don't know. So now will follow a few ifs.
1. If Dexit has no usual dialogues, like opening files and no usual kontext menues, that I can load banks or manage presets, then it is very hard to work with TeamViewer, because I had to create too many so called "hotspots" to use Dexit's patch browser or what it is called. And I don't think, that the presets are ordered in a combo box, like windows uses it for its dialogues, and that is the problem.
2. If the presets are ordered in menues and there would be only one point to click at, that would be simple, then I only need one point to click at and go through the menues.

Short explanation: What are hot spots? In this case it is a point where the mouse is moved to and this position I can save to my screenreader to jump on it, when I need it. But in more cases it is not very handy, because one point opens a graphical interface with patches or some thing and then I have to create douzends of these spots, and this is not practicable. In case of patches ordered in a menu there would be only one point to klick at to activate the menu and this would be it. I hope, my explanation is understandable?
Hallo Alex, I am not shure, if you understood the lay out of dexed, because I suspect you should be able to use your hotspot system quiet nicely.
If you have someone to get teamviewer started i think we can work it out.

suthnear wrote: Dexed doesn't send on/off for each operator because the plug in doesn't feature this. It also seems to send the wrong algorithm number and detune value (it's always 7). I haven't found any other differences yet, but sorting out those go a long way to getting sounds back to what you expect.
For me so far, every sound I sent from Dexed to either Volca FM or TX7 sounded as expected, except for the operator on/off problem with the Volca. I haven't checked those other values manually, but I think they were transferred correct.

Return to “Instruments”