VST closest to Virus A/B?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy DUNE DUNE 3 Helix Spire Sylenth1 SynthMaster 2 Z3TA+

I tried to reprogram a Virus patch in a VST some time ago.

Concerning filters and saturation, Alchemy and SynthMaster did pretty well. However SynthMaster really didn't reproduce the punchiness very well. So Alchemy would be my vote.

Dune was really lame, it didn't even come close.

Others recommended Rob Papen Blue, but I don't own that.

Sylenth has the punch and the crispiness, but sounds just a little different all in all. Its a different character. Also does not have a real PW modulation.

CableChannel wrote: Dune was really lame, it didn't even come close.
Mmmm....Maybe you should clean out your ears and try again ? :wink:

FWIW : I have both DUNE 1 & 2,but we shouldn't overlook Z3TA+2 when we're talking Virus...

Z3TA+2 feels very close to a hardware synth and it sounds wonderful :tu:
No auto tune...

I have Sylenth1. It might be old but it's great.

It has 4 oscillaltors. Many mappings and routings.

It sounds to me just like the original Virus if you add effects.

Ive been listening to EDM since the 90s and SYlenth1 is what people have been using on EDM radio for a decade now.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

digitalboytn wrote:
Well I own both Dune and the Virus, and I have very good ears. It seems you are missing at least one of these things :-)

CableChannel wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:
Well I own both Dune and the Virus, and I have very good ears. It seems you are missing at least one of these things :-)
That's right...

I no longer own a Virus :wink:
No auto tune...

Blank...
Last edited by digitalboytn on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Numanoid wrote:Anybody like Viral Outbreak?: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/viral-o ... ab/details
I have that one setup for Rapture and Dimension Pro....

It's OK,but they are samples as opposed to having a soft synth happening in real time...
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:It's OK,but they are samples as opposed to having a soft synth happening in real time...
Viral Outbreak is utizling the Wusik synth engine, so it is more a synth-sample hybrid VST, than just a sample collection as I understand it.

digitalboytn wrote: Z3TA+2 feels very close to a hardware synth and it sounds wonderful :tu:
this ^

get Virus MOD 1.2 patches and tweek from there - excellent tones
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

digitalboytn wrote:That's right...

I no longer own a Virus :wink:
See, we spottet the error :-) ;-)

CableChannel wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:
Dune 1 was modelled on some aspects of the Virus, not sure which one, maybe TI. Rich is very particular, and had one to compare it to. I know a lot of stuff he didnt like, so left it out.

Zebra is meant to be good, im sure Howard converted some of his Virus patches to it years ago.

Z3ta is not so good. Im pretty sure it uses the really crap single cycle waveforms that were knocking around years and years ago.

Virus is a digital VA. For most VA stuff its easy enough to do on any decent VA. Using some of the diff waveforms and diff FX may be more tricky.

Spire hands down.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

Numanoid wrote:Anybody like Viral Outbreak?: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/viral-o ... ab/details
I like it, but have no idea how it compares to an actual Virus. It has some really nice presets IMO.

However, seeing as the product is discontinued, it's not likely to be of much use to the OP.

Thanks all for the responses.

Dune looks like the most similar architecture-wise, and I'm less concerned with the absolute sound quality as it's just a placeholder to hash out my midi and arrangement. I didn't even think of Sylenth, but it's actually quite similar so I may use that one as well.

Synthmaster and Alchemy really are too different in architecture so browsing patches and recreating in the Virus are going to drive me crazy.

Thanks again for the great responses!

-Alex

Return to “Instruments”