Shreddage 2 Automation

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all. Just purchased Shreddage 2 and am learning the ropes. Wondering about the automation possibilities of parameters such as portamento speed, tremelo speed or really any of the knobs. I know there are some Midi CCs to control some things but really only a limited amount.

If I wanted to create a song with different portamento speeds at different parts, would I need to record the audio for that part, then make the changes I want in Shreddage 2 then record a different part of the song and so on rather than be able to change those parameters in real time?

I did some searching but couldn't find a solid answer.

Thanks

Basically every knob or button in Shreddage2 can be MIDI learned; this is a property of Kontakt itself, actually. So for example, if you right click on the portamento speed knob, you'll have the option of Learning it to a MIDI CC of your choice (Kontakt will assign it to the next MIDI CC you move). I used such automation in my demo "Shred the Night", and explained my process in the video below. Port speed specifically, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJx9ynfeOo
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks Zircon. I actually have watched that video a few times. Maybe I don't know Reaper well enough, but it seems that whenever I do the Midi learn and assign it to a CC it doesn't actually do anything to the portamento speed (actually it seems to reset it to zero when i start to play the composition).

Maybe I should do a little investigation into using that functionality in Reaper.

OK, so using MIDI automation in REAPER is a little tricky. Here's what you have to do.

1. Load Kontakt on a track in REAPER
2. Add the ReaControlMIDI plugin and put it BEFORE Kontakt on that track.
3. Enable the Control Change section and then in one of the free dropdowns, pick something like CC30. This is the CC you'll be using for the MIDI learn.
4. In Kontakt, right click the knob you want to learn, and select learn MIDI.
5. In the ReaControlMIDI plugin, move the CC30 slider.

This should like the ReaControlMIDI CC30 slider to the Kontakt knob. Then, you can automate the CC30 slider as you would anything else in REAPER!
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thank you again again sir that was most helpful. That does indeed work. I was trying to use track envelope control and not the midi control plugin.

A few other other things I ran across for anyone else running reaper.

In Kontakt you can actually click the "Auto" tab in the browser and then the "midi automation" tab. You can then drag and drop any of the CCs onto any of the shreddage knobs without having to right click and then learn the automation.

There is also a script located at http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=143254 that will allow you to send a CC event and a given value. This may come in handy as well.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”