Still not happy w Tracktion midi clips

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you guys happy with the way midi sequencing is on T5? I'm not. I think they could do so much but it feels like they think it's good enough...

I think my biggest struggle is when i enter in a note I want it to be at a certain length every time, are there basic steps I am missing? SO frustrating.

RonC

Click the 'len' box and choose the length of the notes in midi ticks.

There is always room for improvement. With T6 on the way, it is important to be very specific which changes are required. A while ago Joël started a thread to ask about midi editor improvements but the response was very vague or confusing.

No way man I have been reporting what it needs so many times but it seems to be overlooked.

How many times would I have to describe it?

I recall in previous Tracktion note adding with the mouse can actually set the note length. I just dont get it. Do you actually mouse in notes for sequencing?

We have lots of plans to evolve MIDI - certainly not overlooked :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

How about input MIDI CC filtering?

zxant wrote: 

If you select a MIDI input device you can choose which channels to accept and which channel to record to. Does this do what you need?

Good to hear it is in the plans. I think the more you guys implement in terms of sequencing, as many step sequencing tools, as many note entry methods, this will be the winning ticket for Tracktion. Please make the step sequencer more robust, please give us the option to SAVE settings and recall them sich as note assignments etc. I am glad you guys did implement the step sequencer idea and I have a lot more proposals... I may have to try playing with renoise rewired in , in the meantime... Or settle for the extremely awkward note entry we have, in the meantime...

PLEASE note that in order to have a good sequencer we need RIGIDITY, NOT fluidity in terms of GUI. Obsolete old computer sequencers were perfect in this regard... Please note.

RonC

dRowAudio wrote:
zxant wrote: 

If you select a MIDI input device you can choose which channels to accept and which channel to record to. Does this do what you need?

Errm, no.

I am looking for a way to block a certain MIDI CC from the input. My master keyboard (a Kawai K1) has the quirk that it sends an 'All Notes Off' (CC123) after you release the keys so I cannot use my beloved sustain pedal. . :( (Well I can but it requires a different style of playing.)

E.g. VSTHost has a midi filter function that can block certain CC's. In Tracktion I have to make a rack with a dedicated MIDI filter plugin and the VSTi i'm using to make use of the sustain pedal.

So it would be nice if this could be handled by the DAW.

zxant wrote:Errm, no.

I am looking for a way to block a certain MIDI CC from the input. My master keyboard (a Kawai K1) has the quirk that it sends an 'All Notes Off' (CC123) after you release the keys so I cannot use my beloved sustain pedal. . :( (Well I can but it requires a different style of playing.)

E.g. VSTHost has a midi filter function that can block certain CC's. In Tracktion I have to make a rack with a dedicated MIDI filter plugin and the VSTi i'm using to make use of the sustain pedal.

So it would be nice if this could be handled by the DAW.

Sorry, I completely misread your question. There's currently no specific CC filtering in Tracktion but it sounds like you already have a plugin that does this (there are a quite a few MIDI modifier plugs around).
You don't necessarily need a rack to do this, you could just put the filter plug before the synth?

Another way to achieve this during the record phase would be with 2 tracks. Have your MIDI input on track 1 with the MIDI filter plugin as well.
On track 2's input select "Track 1 MIDI" as the input and put your synth on this track. Any recorded MIDI should then come from the output of track 1 and be pre-filtered.

That might work! Thanks Dave! .:)

When I do it without the rack and put the MIDI plugin before the synth I can't get it to work, but i'll certainly try the second method!

I actually started trying out the midi clip's step mode... (not the step sequencer clips) and I am REALLY liking it! I think I'm going to use this mode a lot, so much easier than mousing in! Okay so I guess I would just ask that we can have those few things added like setting the note length locks the grid or the grid locks the note length....

Maybe even give us a mode where we can enter where a little box moves around to arrow key in notes. wouldnt that be cool?

RonC

Return to “Tracktion”