automation point not snapping

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering what I'm doing wrong or if this is a bug. I have absolute snapping definitely turned ON and everytime I create an automation point in a lane (just by clicking in the lane), and even tho I click as close as humanly possible on a grid line when creating the point, even tho the point appears as expected, zooming in reveals that it is just slightly off the grid line. Infuriating!
I then have to grab the automation point and move it a bit and only then the snapping latches on.

decided to attach some screenshots to illustrate the point further.... pretty sure i've seen someone post a gif of this exact scenario, just couldn't find the thread anymore

mousing over an automation lane to create a new point....

clicking right on a grid line to (hopefully) create a point snapped exactly to that line..... yes, absolute snapping is on

zoom in on the area......Y U NO SNAP?!? %$@%#
Last edited by weens on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

same here (mac, 1.1.3). the first drawn automation point will be on grid but subsequent points are never added to grid exactly.
object and relative snaps are off, just absolute snap is on.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this works (hopefully someone will chime in) but here, with the absolute setting, I can place a note inbetween but it will snap to place if I move it. That may be normal?

I'm on 1.1.2 win7x64

hmmm i would think that would be quite odd for normal behaviour, and it's certainly a workflow killer if you have to grab each point you create just to latch it back onto the grid. I don't want to have to do that to 50 points I just created on an automation-heavy track.

On most occasions I want my points to line up exactly with the grid lines, *especially* if i click right on the grid. Most other daws do this seamlessly, and if this is indeed a bug, I'm extremely surprised it made it out the door and has been left unfixed till now, since automation is such bread and butter stuff that should have already been tested into the ground before releasing.

Considering Bitwig are mostly former Ableton employees, I'm not the least bit surprised that automation snap to grid doesn't work properly, I guess we should just be thankful it even works at all. :lol:

hah....true...but still, that's really not an excuse. if this is meant to be a serious daw that people pay good money for, then this issue of non snapping automation points really should not exist, regardless of past associations of the employees with ableton, etc.

Again on not on the same platform, but I did notice something. If you put the cursor slightly above the automation line (where the crosshair shows) then it snaps perfectly (but of course not on the automation line. When trying to do it on that line, oddly positioned is the only way to do it (won't snap at first. I hope I'm explaining this right.

I'm going to play around with the different settings and see if anything changes. I'll probably glance at the manual too (though I have to say at this point in the game it usually just slows me down)

I think you are onto something for now, I'll check back in a few if I find any "ah ha" moments.

EDIT: Nope, when through all the possible settings and it's not behaving as desired.

The above posts were made from my macbook air.......it's happening on my windows machine too. absolutely driving me up the wall haha.
The worst is when you've made a lot of automation points you thought have been snapped, and then start moving/duplicating clips around which can introduce automation alignment issues (if you have the 'automation follows clips' option enabled).

To be clear, you are right. IF you move that crosshair up a bit and try to put a node in, it will work as expected. It's a bad time of the year for bug hunting :lol: Hopefully, you've reported it.

haha yep, bad time of year for sure. i've messaged via the contact form with a link to this thread, hopefully they'll get around to responding :)

Workaround to avoid TWO clicks:
After hitting the mouse button to create the new automation point, move your mouse a bit while mouse button is held - this will snap almost immediately if you're not waaay of the grid.

I am trying to reproduce this behaviour on PC (Win7/v1.1.3) so far unsuccessfully. All editors (arranger timeline, secondary edit view, edit screen) works as designed and snap automation points perfect here.

When you place or re-check an automation point, what is the readout (position) in the inspector automation event panel? Does the automation event parameters you see here in the inspector are correct or showing the misaligned position data?

I've reported back in 2014/04 an automation snapping issue when editing existing automation points (still experiencing this on v1.1.3), we might talk about the same problem:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=408356

I am messing with some pitch automations and is quite hard to set "points" (automation events) to 0%, as they do not snap vertically to some common used numbers like increments of 5 or something.

Am I the only one with this "problem"?

Return to “Bitwig”