Poll: Iris Evolution - how many of you have made the switch to Iris 2

Official support for: patchpool.de

Which Iris version do you currently use?

Iris 1
38%
Iris 2
21%
Both
32%
Bananas
9%

Total votes: 68

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

I need to know this for planning my Iris subscription, so please cast your vote.

I have both but currently I'm not seeing much point in v2.

The only real reason for Iris 2 is the additional sample oscillator which could make for more layerings and (pseudo-) multisampled sounds which require several octaves/notes of a given sound/instrument to be sampled to reduce the chipmunking, as Radius RT is still not playable at high polyphonies and longer release times. And the LFO-shape-modulation plus the new LFO shapes plus the assignment of velocity and aftertouch to all sorts of parameters do make for some new possibilities.

I'm not really seeing much reason for upgrading to v2.
It's overpriced, under-baked, and brings very little new things to the table.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Yes, I know.

So the way I see it Iris 2 is just for new content created for 2 and stuff I make with it (which I have been reluctant to get into because I hate the new interface and because it seems like a beta) but not V1 conversions (unless they are also enhanced in some way) as I don't see the point of having both taking up disk space if they are no different sonically. V1 stuff I'll just keep in V1 for now.

Sure, but there are many Iris 2 users waiting to play these sounds, so the conversion for me is inevitable.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Sure, but there are many Iris 2 users waiting to play these sounds, so the conversion for me is inevitable.
Then you have already answered your own question, no?
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Sure, but there are many Iris 2 users waiting to play these sounds, so the conversion for me is inevitable.
Then you have already answered your own question, no?
No, what I need to know is how many have made the switch, conversion is one thing, developing more content another. You seem a bit angry...

Hi Simon,

No, not angry...

Good.

Yes I understand that, I'm just saying for me I've decided that I have to let go of the idea of having everything in Iris 2 at the moment, even with all your hard work there are too many compromises having to be made, conversion is a kludge and I might as well just keep both versions running side by side and just dedicate Iris 2 to new sounds. So for myself I'm more interested in new content.

tbh I'm not even sure Izotope are really committed to this synth.

aMUSEd wrote:tbh I'm not even sure Izotope are really committed to this synth.
I'm feeling a bit this way myself too about iZotope's interest in developing Iris any further.

That's why I haven't bothered to update to v2.

I just upgraded to Iris 2 when the deal was on, I think I saved a few bucks getting it through JRR shop so I didn't feel that the upgrade cost was in anyway punitive.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the GUI of Iris two, and for me there is a definite attraction to being able to have the fourth osc to capable of loading samples so there are advantages..

Main hope is that they iron out the bugs in the new version, and i really really prefer to only have to deal with the one version going forward.

New buyers of Iris 2 will likely not understand what the fuss was all about in 6 months or so.

The available sounds for Iris one will be top shelved and converted anything else doesn't not make sense..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

aMUSEd wrote:
tbh I'm not even sure Izotope are really committed to this synth.
But I am still committed to this synth, especially to all the work which went into the subscription patches over the years, and after the Alchemy debacle I will do everything to at least preserve this portion of my sound creation for some more years to come, after all Iris is still alive and they just released a new version, despite all the crap around this release.

Return to “patchpool”