One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Voting Closed

Community Resources to get you started:
* Have patches? Post them and we'll put the link here!
A bunch of Native presets, with bank and instruction - thanks to Keith303 for heads up
DrewDale - 64 patch bank
Richard Semper - 59 awesome presets
Taron - Collection of ticks - wood, block and stick, etc
Skelpolu RAR - 2 Part Kick, organ, tremolo noise, and deep chorus pad
Same as above, but zip file
Mehum - various presets
Mojo 42 Drums Pack
Logic work around patch
Mehum - Old school tutorial / guide
Original Roland manual
Sound on Sound "Synth Secrets" series on Programming the original JX10 /JX8 synth!

Look at this sexy new skin! This is the real PG-8X by Martin Lüders. Remember it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHdu6hGq_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT8Jv6eaos

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a donator? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

Tritik : 1 tkDelay Plugin

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster (Soon to be released!)

JRR Shop : UVI: Mello

satYatunes : One of any commercial product (right now only MayaBlue theme for Melda plugins)

stardustmedia : Professional studio mix down and mastering on one track of your choosing (See Disclaimer)

Balance Mastering : One song of your choosing professionally mastered

MaxSynths : Free choice of either Crisalys, Cryologic, Teutonic Tension or aPiano

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Electric Himalaya : Free choice of one soundset (as sold directly via the website)

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: 2 Soundsets of choice
(Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)
Last edited by bjporter on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Fantastic!.

This will be a very interesting month. :wheee:

Saw this coming from the general thread. Sweet, time to check this baby out.. Time to create and share some kicks, hope others will do the same... Cheers :tu:

Looks nice and simple to use, I like that. Don't know yet whether I will find time this month, which is a shame because this looks well suited for synth pop and I have an idea for some pop tune...we'll see.

Awesome, there's a Mac version!

I might not have much time as I'll be rebuilding my computer for the next week or two but I'll do what I can!

Something that everybody who enters this needs to be aware of, at least if you're running Cubase as your DAW. I don't know if this is true for every DAW.

All CC 1 assignments made, regardless of which parameter they are assigned to (filter cutoff, DCO level, etc.) while saved correctly for each patch, upon reloading your project, need to be rewritten ONE TIME to ONE PATCH in order for them to all become active again.

As Martin is going to be away for the next 4 weeks, this is not something that is going to be fixed, unless an update has already been released that I am not aware of. If that is the case and somebody can let me know, kindly ignore this warning.

Just make a note of all your CC 1 assignments and go into one patch that uses them all (if any) and rewrite them for each parameter. That will activate all instances...I think. If not, you'll have to go into each instance of PG8X and rewrite for each one. With some people using 20 or 30 of these things in a track, this can be a royal PITA.

It is for this reason that I may not be entering this month depending on how bad the situation actually is with my system. I do know that at least one instance of PG8X does not reactivate the CC 1 assignments when i reload a project.

Now, a workaround is simply to not turn off your PC for the whole month and just leave the project up 24/7. Not sure I want to do this.

Anyway, good luck to everybody. This is a great synth but this one bug is going to be a pain for some people. At least it is for me as I use a lot of CC 1 for my patches.

Although I don't take part in OSC I would like to contribute 64 patches that I posted in the PG8X thread and offer them here if anyone would like to use some.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgg4ln2lgzuow ... k.zip?dl=0
:tu: All is good

I just downloaded this thing & it looks pretty cool.

Having said that, I have no idea of how to really use it. It appears to be based on the Roland JX8P, so I found the user manual for that (http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Roland/Ro ... Manual.pdf),

I read somewhere that a patch on the JX8P was used in the Twin Peaks soundtrack. If that is true, and I can find that patch, I am pretty sure I won't ever get around to making a song this month. Instead, I am just going to hold notes down and listen. Brilliant sound (used in a brilliant soundtrack).
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein

https://soundcloud.com/groksynth

Good choice. :tu:

GrokSynth wrote: I read somewhere that a patch on the JX8P was used in the Twin Peaks soundtrack. If that is true, and I can find that patch, I am pretty sure I won't ever get around to making a song this month. Instead, I am just going to hold notes down and listen.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, no matter what I do, I can't get the latest version (4-29) to be recognized by Cubase. It still pulls up 4-27 fine but 4-29, no go. So I guess if I enter this month I'm going to have to use the earlier release.

Wouldn't it be a kick of the CC 1 bug was fixed in 4-29? LOL

wagtunes wrote:Well, no matter what I do, I can't get the latest version (4-29) to be recognized by Cubase. It still pulls up 4-27 fine but 4-29, no go. So I guess if I enter this month I'm going to have to use the earlier release.

Not tried it myself yet, but did you remove 4-27 completely before trying 4-29? Have found conflicts of that kind before with cubase.

RichardSemper wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, no matter what I do, I can't get the latest version (4-29) to be recognized by Cubase. It still pulls up 4-27 fine but 4-29, no go. So I guess if I enter this month I'm going to have to use the earlier release.

Not tried it myself yet, but did you remove 4-27 completely before trying 4-29? Have found conflicts of that kind before with cubase.
Yeah, I know. All the other versions, however, all showed from 1.02 all the way down. Odd that this one doesn't even after doing a rescan of the plugs and shutting down the PC. I've run multiple instances of many VSTs and never had this happen before.

I guess it's worth a shot but something tells me the dll is just plain bad.

wagtunes wrote:
RichardSemper wrote:

Yeah, I know. All the other versions, however, all showed from 1.02 all the way down. Odd that this one doesn't even after doing a rescan of the plugs and shutting down the PC. I've run multiple instances of many VSTs and never had this happen before.

Try an experiment: Duplicate and Rename the dll to like synth1.dll, synth2.dll, and synth3.dll... who knows :shrug:

bjporter wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
RichardSemper wrote:

Try an experiment: Duplicate and Rename the dll to like synth1.dll, synth2.dll, and synth3.dll... who knows :shrug:
Actually BJ, Martin did give them two different names. At the end of each name he tagged on the date. So one dll says PG8X-4-27-2015 and the other one says PG8X-4-29-2015, so they should be read as two different dlls.

Very odd.

Return to “Instruments”