Midi data recorded not in time

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi fellows.
Today and some other days I experienced some trouble with incoming Midi notes from my Virus KC.
I played with no quantization and a good feeling groove. Everything seemed to be fine.
But when I looked in the inspector panel, all notes are drawed too late in timing.
When I manually pushed them to the on-spots, they were sounding out of timing - too early.
Same when I record them to audio.
Every note is recorded too early. I had to manually push them to the right. There - on the spots,
they are fine.
I looked up the manual, but could not find anything.
Here in the forum I found a hint, that the "hardware device" is equipped with a latency offset/delay.
It just didn´t work for me.

Some secrets I did not discover?
Bless!
P.
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote:Hi fellows.
Same when I record them to audio.
Every note is recorded too early. I had to manually push them to the right. There - on the spots,
they are fine.
I don't know about the other stuff, but this seems kind of strange. The laws of physics tells us that no DAW can look into the future .. How can it record "too early"?

I know that when I 'bounce in place' the sound is sometimes out of time. Also when I have a lot of clips in the arrangement from the same sound and stretched, bitwig is quick to draw those audio files out of time. It doesn't seem to have any trouble with MIDI.

I record Midi with good timing - notes are drawed on a "too late position" but sound right.
I correct the visual timing/ push them on spot - notes are played too early - not sounding right.

Record this early/ "on spot" Midi clip as audio -> audio is too early too with the exception of the note on beat 1.

Audio is too early because midi is pushed to the spot, where it should be in the normal midi world.
When I leave it "unpushed" I cannot correct Midi-timing of some notes - no grid or quant. possible.
Hope it´s clearer now.
The average bored guy

I know now.
Simply the heavy latency producing UAD plugins on the masterbuss.
I have to deactivate them, when adding midi.
I´m forced to bounce them, because when I add the UAD´s, all midi notes are too early.

:phones:
The average bored guy

How are you monitoring the Virus? Through Bitwig? Or direct/mixer monitoring?
Logic X, El Cap 10.11.3, Mini i7, Live, Reaper, Bitwig (demo)

Clicks at +100 samples: 44.1k / 48k (wav)

I have the same issue when I record MIDI notes of my hardware synths. This occurs even without any UAD-plugin on the master. But when I just play the synth while the sequence is running, it behaves normal.
Quite annoying. I hope it will be fixed soon..

Also, is the MIDI data you're both recording either live keyboard playing, or a MIDI sequence/arp coming from your synths?
Logic X, El Cap 10.11.3, Mini i7, Live, Reaper, Bitwig (demo)

Clicks at +100 samples: 44.1k / 48k (wav)

It happens when I play on my keyboard and record the MIDI notes (Bitwig 1.1.8 ) I never had this problem with previous Bitwig versions.

TeePee wrote:How are you monitoring the Virus? Through Bitwig? Or direct/mixer monitoring?
I have the virus plugged in my audio interface.
Virus - keyboard local off
I think, it´s direct monitoring...
The average bored guy

Return to “Bitwig”