Introducing the Launchpad Script V3

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Everyone,

I have created a V3 of the Launchpad Script, modified off of the Enhanced and Maxi Scripts. The additions to this script include

Mixer / Session Mode Functionality
- Fixed Scene Launch. You can now Launch an entire scene by hitting SHIFT + any Grid Button
- Changed buttons from momentary to toggle
- Added Pan Centering
- Added Fine Adjustments page accessible by using Shift
- Added Stop function on Track Page. Yellow flashing LED indicates when track or clip is playing. Hitting the flashing button stops the currently playing clip.

New Edit Mode (written by Yannis Gravezas in the Launchpad Maxi Script)
- This mode is explained in depth in the Youtube Video
- Pressing SHIFT + USER 1 implements Cut/Paste.
- Pressing SHIFT + USER 2 implements Copy/Paste.
- Pressing SHIFT + Mixer Button (which button determines the length of the clip i.e. a=1 bar, b=2 bar, c=4 bar etc.) and then pressing any Grid Button creates an Empty Clip of desired length

Play Mode
- Improved velocity settings. You now have a "high" and "low" velocity and a "velocity increment". Choose high or low velocity (127 and 70 respectively) using E and H buttons (on mini, not sure what they are on S), and dial in an exact velocity using the F and G buttons.
- Cleaned up note maps and keys. Holding shift and pressing the left and right keys will now cycle through the scales.
- Added all Push Scales
- Added Push style keyboard
- Added toggle click (shift + user1 in key page)
- Scrolling through drum maps can be done in 1 note segments, or 16 note segments by using the SHIFT + Up/Down buttons

I have created a Youtube video documenting the functionality of the Launchpad in its entirety. This includes a thorough explanation of the Step Sequencer, which is much more powerful than I realized before I figured it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48qBVXyzot0

You can find the script here https://github.com/dplduffy/LaunchpadScriptV3.git

Have fun!
Last edited by dplduffy on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

It says video has been removed because it was too long :o
:hug:

Which one is the shift button? :oops:

Edit: I think it's the top right (8)? So far my initial testing have led to start a religion in your name because this script is godly!!!! :love:

The OVR button is so very welcome! Not sure if it was in the maxi script as i never tried it. Regardless, it should have been there in the original script :)
Same with the panning! thank you!
The velocity change is a very good compromise. High/Low is enough for most grooves and if it isn't you got fine tuning at hand.

I hadn't learned the launch/stop in the original script but from the from what i can tell so far, this seems much better. Not meaning to bash the original writers in any way though! Improving someone's work is a compliment i think. If it wasn't good others would just start from scratch and do it in another way :tu:

The only thing i would love is an updated help page! With a picture of the mini instead of the standard launch pad :pray:

Do you have any other controllers? If so, can one expect there to be made scripts for them too? Probably best to align one's controllers with those of good scripters :ud:

I can't get the velocity to work. Im in stop per note or note per step. A-D changes step size. Pressing E-H does nothing. No on screen feedback and no change in velocity for notes. I've tried to first press for instance H and then a step or note and holding H and then a step or note. Velocity remains at default (100?).
Also in step sequencer, buttons 1-4 does nothing. I think 1 and 2 should toggle up/down. What 3-4 does in the original i can't remember.

Edit: I started a new project in bitwig and now velocity works as it should .. take my posts with a pinch of salt.. :oops: :hihi:

In Keys/Drums 1-2 moves the grid up and down one note at a time instead of what used to be 16(?). One step at a time is good if you want to move the scale up playing instruments. If you have drums though it leads to a lot of button pushing! :)
Example here is when you have a [drum machine] with every slot filled and you want to have access to them all, while 64 at a time, by moving the grid up and down. +/-16 was a little faster for this :)
Sorry for explaining bad but it's kind of hard!
Maybe a shift+1/2 could move it by 16 or 12? Perhaps shift+1/2 could be 12 and shift+3/4 could be 16?

After grabbing more coffee ... there never was steps of 12 or 16 was there? :dog: :roll: :oops:

Crackbaby wrote:It says video has been removed because it was too long :o
So APPARENTLY you need a verified youtube account to upload a video longer than 15 minutes! I'm sorry guys I went to sleep and didn't realize this. I verified my account and am re-uploading the video. I changed the youtube link so when its finished uploading and processing (probably about an hour from now) you should be able to see it.

This thread is kind of useless without the video haha.

Crackbaby wrote:Which one is the shift button? :oops:

Edit: I think it's the top right (8)? So far my initial testing have led to start a religion in your name because this script is godly!!!! :love:

The OVR button is so very welcome! Not sure if it was in the maxi script as i never tried it. Regardless, it should have been there in the original script :)
Same with the panning! thank you!
The velocity change is a very good compromise. High/Low is enough for most grooves and if it isn't you got fine tuning at hand.

I hadn't learned the launch/stop in the original script but from the from what i can tell so far, this seems much better. Not meaning to bash the original writers in any way though! Improving someone's work is a compliment i think. If it wasn't good others would just start from scratch and do it in another way :tu:

The only thing i would love is an updated help page! With a picture of the mini instead of the standard launch pad :pray:

Do you have any other controllers? If so, can one expect there to be made scripts for them too? Probably best to align one's controllers with those of good scripters :ud:
The problems I found with the original and enhanced scripts was that there was so much functionality hidden in the code that you would never know about unless someone told you (hence the video). The OVR function, the scene launching, and I think a few more things were all there, I just didn't know about them until I dove into the code.

Bitwig really did do a great job with this script, I just cleaned it up and added my touch.

Crackbaby wrote:I can't get the velocity to work. Im in stop per note or note per step. A-D changes step size. Pressing E-H does nothing. No on screen feedback and no change in velocity for notes. I've tried to first press for instance H and then a step or note and holding H and then a step or note. Velocity remains at default (100?).
Also in step sequencer, buttons 1-4 does nothing. I think 1 and 2 should toggle up/down. What 3-4 does in the original i can't remember.

Edit: I started a new project in bitwig and now velocity works as it should .. take my posts with a pinch of salt.. :oops: :hihi:

In Keys/Drums 1-2 moves the grid up and down one note at a time instead of what used to be 16(?). One step at a time is good if you want to move the scale up playing instruments. If you have drums though it leads to a lot of button pushing! :)
Example here is when you have a [drum machine] with every slot filled and you want to have access to them all, while 64 at a time, by moving the grid up and down. +/-16 was a little faster for this :)
Sorry for explaining bad but it's kind of hard!
Maybe a shift+1/2 could move it by 16 or 12? Perhaps shift+1/2 could be 12 and shift+3/4 could be 16?

After grabbing more coffee ... there never was steps of 12 or 16 was there? :dog: :roll: :oops:

I just Updated the script on github, so go grab the new copy!

Yes, there was a bug with the velocity selection in the step sequence, thanks for finding that. It has been fixed.

I also changed the drum grid note map so now, just like you suggested, the up and down buttons move by 1 note at a time, holding shift will move them by 16. Good suggestion!

Crackbaby wrote: The only thing i would love is an updated help page! With a picture of the mini instead of the standard launch pad :pray:

Yeah, I'm still trying to decide if I want to update the help page. Once you see the video I think you'll see I covered everything pretty well in there.

I'm really not that good of a coder, I just added a few things and took the time to explore the code and figure it out. I honestly don't plan on making any more scripts at the moment. I really wanted to get a good knowledge of the launchpad script so that when the Launchpad PRO comes out I may be able to write a good script for that. Thats my plan as of right now.

If you want other good scripts though, there's a ton of them here. The push4bitwig that Moss did is amazing (just like everything Moss writes), I would check it out. Thats gonna be my next controller as soon as I find out what they're updating in the 1.2 API.

Ugh.. I had written a reply but i think i had my bluescreen before i submitted it.. :)

Anyways, great video! Had a quite a few laughs :D I think everything is very clear after watching it!
One thing i thought of, is that when in step sequencer mode, you can only use the bottom half to select notes/drums as the top half is occupied with it's sequencing thing. Could you maybe make use of the 1/2 buttons to move up/down by steps of 16 or perhaps even 32? Otherwise you have to exit that mode and enter key/drums, move grid up/down and then go back.

Crackbaby wrote:Ugh.. I had written a reply but i think i had my bluescreen before i submitted it.. :)

Anyways, great video! Had a quite a few laughs :D I think everything is very clear after watching it!
One thing i thought of, is that when in step sequencer mode, you can only use the bottom half to select notes/drums as the top half is occupied with it's sequencing thing. Could you maybe make use of the 1/2 buttons to move up/down by steps of 16 or perhaps even 32? Otherwise you have to exit that mode and enter key/drums, move grid up/down and then go back.
Yes that's a good idea. I didn't realize that there was no movement with the 1&2 buttons in the sequencer grid until I tried it in the video and it didn't work. I'll add that sometime this week and let you know when the script is up.

It's been a few days and i just love this launchpad :D Having played piano since i was probably around four years old, i never knew how fun it would be to play scales on this!

It seems like in order to enter notes i must have the note editor panel visible. Was it like this before? Can i do this from the launchpad?

Crackbaby wrote:It's been a few days and i just love this launchpad :D Having played piano since i was probably around four years old, i never knew how fun it would be to play scales on this!

It seems like in order to enter notes i must have the note editor panel visible. Was it like this before? Can i do this from the launchpad?
To enter notes in the play / drums view or in the step sequencer view?

Opps

In step sequencer view! Entering notes 'live' works just fine!

Crackbaby wrote:Opps

In step sequencer view! Entering notes 'live' works just fine!
Hmm I will check that out today and let you know. I suspect you are correct though, that the clip has to be in focus. If that is the case, I don't know if I can fix it right now as there is no way to set the exact focus in the api

hey dplduffy, good work on the script and thanks alot for it, toggle mix views were much needed (and "back to arrangement" buttons, wow). any chance you'll look into the "move grid thingy" in the sequencer mode (as crackbaby mentioned) any time soon?

Return to “Controller Scripting”